Isuzu N35 3.5T car transporter

Hello all,

I’m looking to buy a new isuzu n35 3.5t twin wheel car transporter built by KFS and has payload of 1460kg. I’m more interested in it because of its towing capacity and reliability being a Japanese vehicle. I’m planning to keep it well beyond the 3 year period .

I would also appreciate to know how do they drive on motorway sitting at 65/70 MPH. I heard the latest incarnation has been vastly improved in terms of driving characteristics.

Being pro’s out there, what would be your thoughts on this please.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Alan

Well its basically a van that you can drive on a car licence.

What do I know about them? Very little.
I know the earlier versions were not great though. Tuffnells had a few and scrapped them after only a few years. I knew a few subbies who had them and they were not great.

I’m talking about the 7.5t version though which is basically a 3.5t with uprated springs.
The Isuzu are built on a budget. Unlike other vans so you get what you pay for.

That being said your on about the new version. I know very little about it.
Just a thing to know though. Parts are expensive.

If I was you I’ve be looking at Ford or Mercedes.
The new fords and mercedes drive so smooth and just like a car.
With the Isuzu it will feel like you are in a truck. The interior is cheap. The seating position is high up like a truck compared to a ford transit or a mercedes sprinter.

If your sold on the Isuzu go for it though. But have a test drive first. I know they are very cheap new compared to a ford or mecedes.

By the time you’ve filled the tool box with tie downs etc, topped up the fuel tank, and the cab has all the usual clutter inside, then you impose 100kg of downforce on the towball, that 1460kg payload will be down to 1300 or so, not many cars coming in under that weight now unless you’ve got a specific purpose for it carrying dedicated light vehicls you’ll be forever panicking about getting check weighed.

I agree with Juddian.

KFS do make very good lightweight aluminum bodies though.

Compare the Isuzu with the Peugeot or Fiat.

simonbailes.co.uk/business/ … ansporter/

This peugeot has a payload of 1600kg.

Considering even a standard 2003 Ford Mondeo has a curb weight of 1300/1500 kg its best to get a truck with the biggest payload possible.

These Citroen /Fiat and Peugeot may have larger payload by 200kg but have you guys realised that there is a bigger issue with them and that’s axle weight ! Technically you can’t have vehicle that’s even 1600kg on them as it goes over maximum allowable axle weight of a single wheel.

The Isuzu for example has axle weight of 2450kg . My cousin was done for carrying an Audi A4 year 2008 on one of these Citroën or fiat for going over axle weight. So be careful , it’s not only about payload here but axle weight too!

Also compared to isuzu , I personally don’t believe PSA groups vehicle are reliable going pass 3 years . The new isuzu being Japanese will wear down stronger compared to the other ones !

Also I’m interested towing a higher payload rather than carrying it.

I means that’s my point but I’m sure you will differ!

javnas:
These Citroen /Fiat and Peugeot may have larger payload by 200kg but have you guys realised that there is a bigger issue with them and that’s axle weight ! Technically you can’t have vehicle that’s even 1600kg on them as it goes over maximum allowable axle weight of a single wheel.

The Isuzu for example has axle weight of 2450kg . My cousin was done for carrying an Audi A4 year 2008 on one of these Citroën or fiat for going over axle weight. So be careful , it’s not only about payload here but axle weight too!

Also compared to isuzu , I personally don’t believe PSA groups vehicle are reliable going pass 3 years . The new isuzu being Japanese will wear down stronger compared to the other ones !

I means that’s my point but I’m sure you will differ!

Well this is a truck forum not a van forum so most of us arent experts in regards to vans.
e.g. when most people talk about car transporters on here its in relation to 44t truck carrying loads of cars or tractors / lorries or other heavy machinery.

Your 100% right axle weight is important.
You may be right that the Isuzu’s are more reliable. But parts will still probably be more expensive.
Check out parts availability see how they compare with other makes.

I would say check out the market first. It may be completely flooded with cowboy one man bands a bit like haulage really.

Fair point if you’re talking about using it as a tow vehicle.
The trouble with that is if you don’t have a light vehicle to put on the towing vehicle you will be in the unenviable position of regularly towing a heavy trailer with something light, and just as found in much larger vehicles, when the tail’s wagging the dog it increases exponentially your chances of losing control, particularly in adverse conditions.

As to long term reliability i doubt many here would have any valid experience of the vehicle you seek information on, all you can do is buy one and see if it works out, somehow i doubt you’d be looking at a modern heavier version of Toyota’s excellent bombproof Hiace likely to soldier on for 20 years or more given some tlc, but you never know.

javnas:

Great recipe for the tail wagging the dog.

javnas:
Hello all,

I’m looking to buy a new isuzu n35 3.5t twin wheel car transporter built by KFS and has payload of 1460kg. I’m more interested in it because of its towing capacity and reliability being a Japanese vehicle. I’m planning to keep it well beyond the 3 year period .

I would also appreciate to know how do they drive on motorway sitting at 65/70 MPH. I heard the latest incarnation has been vastly improved in terms of driving characteristics.

Thank you.
Alan

Alan,

Firstly, if you’re towing over 3.05t on a motorway or duel carriageway you will be sitting at 60mph. At 65-70mph you’ll be breaking your speed limit. Secondly, and more happily, Isuzus are pretty good. My Wife has a D-Max, tows up to her 3.5t limit regularly and has clocked 110,000 miles in 6 years without major mechanical problems. Sure it’s cheaply made and the interior is pretty well shot, but it’s a work horse and does the job.

Note and understand the gross combination mass, gross vehicle mass, the train mass and tare. You could well find an overload situation, operating at GCM.

javnas:
Hello all,

Thank you.
Alan

I had one for my last month in recovery work. So hopefully you will find what I say helpful.

The bed is good as far as a demountable goes for loading cars with spoilers etc. Although I found a ‘tilt-and-slide’ a great advantage for accidents work as one can lift with the bed. Demountables are not so strong.

As for driving mine only did 11 mpg (my Renault did 22 mpg) and the seat is the most uncomfortable I have ever been in. For driving comfort analogy - compare a Ford Focus with a Morris Minor. I tweaked my back in it first day and demanded my old Renault back - had her for a month and then back to the Isuzu… and so I left.

You may find it ok but before you buy take it for a good long drive as seat comfort is paramount for long trips. It’s basically a budget recovery truck and the alternative is an Iveco. But these have a van engine and are not that robust. My firm had 4 and each one had an engine rebuild on warranty.

For a 2nd hand purchase I’d try and find a good 10T truck with 17ft bed.