Istanbul by road

Just after a bit of info about driving to Istanbul by road. Mate of mine may have to do this run soon & just wondered if he would need a carnet for Romania & Bulgaria.Im assuming the route is Germany,Austria,Hungary,Romania,Bulgaria & into Turkey.As Romania & Bulgaria are new to the EU does he still need a carnet for them.He is going empty to Turkey & loaded Back for UK(mad I know!!)
Also how long would a round trip take? Not sure but reckon about 12 -14 days with a good run(Austria is the furthest east I’ve run!!)

Cheers
Phil

105xf:
…He is going empty to Turkey & loaded Back for UK(mad I know!!)…

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Bloody hell, thats alot of empty miles!!! Surely “anything” going that way at ANY price is better than all the way down there empty!!

Unless of course the return load pays enough to cover the empty mileage down…and then I would be very concerned as to what is actually in that return load!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

FIRST off his Customer may have stated that he is to go
straight down empty and so avoid delays that my muck
up the loading date also the price for the job must be
Right or he would not be doing it Unless he is i leave
the rest open as i do not know or have meet the
person and it would be inappropriate to judge some one
who one does not know,ONE can only hope he /she has
a good rate for the job
SOME SMALL POINTS HERE
tell your mate its winter time so he needs winter tyres and snow chains
in some country they will not let you in when you have no chains,
one country is Hungary also AUSTRIA will fine you lots for non–
compliance with their laws,the tyres have to have a minimum depth
as well, look at the sticky s on here it will have tips that people have posted
some one else will come along later and post
there suggestions as well hopefully,

would it not be cheaper for your freind to sub it out to someone over there because that is a lot of empty running .

As Romania, Austria, Hungary and Bulgaria are now full members of the EU. I doubt there is need for a Carnet for the return load, and you wouldn’t need one to travel there empty.

Baggage? “BOS Abi” :stuck_out_tongue:

you wouldnt need a carnet until you hit turkey as its all eu until there, just tolls and taxes, would it not be a t form for the returning goods? the trip time depends on which border and the queue in and out

Could take 5 or 6 days to drive to Istanbul from Dover, most of turkish drivers told me that.

euromat:
would it not be a t form for the returning goods?

doubtful matt, as that would mean the exporter paying bonds etc from his local customs to the border and lots of other hassles there.

by the way (original poster, sorry forgot your username :blush: ) if your mate never had TIR carnets before, don’t expect that he can just get hold of any - the process through the RHA or FTA will take a good 3 weeks even without christmas looming, and presumes he meets the criteria/has some dosh!

Cheers Lads,

I thought that it would be pushing it to do it hassle free in the run up to christmas. I told him to tell his boss that it wasnt like running to the eurozone but think his boss is hoping to leave it till last minute before giving him the go ahead !!:roll:
I’ll give him your info & let you know the outcome.

Cheers

Phil

The first thing you will need is a 6-12 month truck transit visa , you can only get it in london now,we in the past could get it in greece or bulgaria from turk embassy. You would be better to take italy greece ferry from ancona then up to ipsala in the winter . I suspect you will get alot of attention on your return ,out empty !!!

just be prepared for a queue…

youtube.com/watch?v=4GhtlYQAqhw

Hello,

The key in my experience is to make sure you have a clearing agent IN TURKEY this will save you money and alot of hassle on the border. I have a contact if you’re stuck.

However, EKOL and Davis Turner offer quite competative prices to and from Turkey!