Isolated for three months?

Just got a letter from the nhs telling me that because of certain medical conditions, I’m “vulnerable” and must self isolate for 12 weeks. Now if I’d felt symptoms I would have gladly holed up for a couple of weeks, but 12? I have savings set aside to pay my bills for a couple of months, maybe more if I’m careful, in the event of finding myself unemployed. But 3 months? Now I’ve only just started this new job about a month ago, where do I stand on this 80% pay thing? Will I still have a job in three months? This has bothered me more than the thought of getting the bloody virus!

To be frank, I’m tempted to just crack on. If I come down with anything I’ll deal with it then. That’s more to do with being cooped up for 3 months than any money worries.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Thoughts, ideas and discussion welcome.

Tricky but imho those classed as ‘vunerable’ need to isolate to protect not only themselves but also the NHS.

Sure you may never catch it but what if, why take up a NHS bed and the other resources needed to care for you when you can stay at home.

I believe you should get at least 80% wage as govt instruction maybe even more but admittedly I haven’t looked into it.

Trust me when normality steadily resumes you will have no problem getting a job.

Edit: I think if your company survives your job is safe or should get a juicy payoff, tribunals for unfair dismissals after enforced lockdown prob future topics…

If the brown stuff really hits the fan key workers who are on the cusp of the 3 month lockdown thingy will be needed…

Just my opinion, stay safe

The government isn’t going to pay you, or any individual, his or her wages. If you read the details, the government will pay up to 80% of an employees wage, to the company, if the company can not keep you in work, and would have no other option than to fire you.

Isolation, will see you getting SSP only.
Self isolation will see you getting SSP only.

Someone I know is also on 12 week isolation.
Guess it’s same for you. Anyone who enters the household must immediately undress and shower, all clothes straight into wash. No leaving house at all, etc.
Much more than a 2metre boundary.
They have been told if they contract the virus they have only a very slim chance of survival.
Tis grim.
It is undoubtedly difficult looking at what ia almost solitary confinement, but the alternative is worse!
No one can force you to do it, but think hard before you decide against it.
Good luck!

My son-in-law has been flagged up as vunerable by the NHS and his Bosses. IF he wanted to continue working he would have had to sign a disclaimer that he was prepared to work and relinquishes any sick pay rights. He is at home on 50% wages until further notice.

I’ve made the decision to isolate for 12 weeks not sure what pay I get but life more important.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I am sat in my motorhome self isolating for 12 weeks, I too got a letter but I am now retired so it’s a bit different , We are building a house but I am leaving that to my mate to sort out now , he is the plumber so has some idea and knows what we want.

The isolation is far more important than having enough money for a fancy funeral Pal. You can go back to driving after this has blown over .

My wife and I got our letters today. both our employers said go home now and start isolation . The wifes firm said ssp paid from tomorrow, my out fit has decided on the other track and told me I am no under notice of redundancy due to the virus, pay roll says they will be applying for the 80% wage but doesn’t start until the start of the next tax year and gives them time to calculate my average wage .
We will wait and see, as said in other posts life is preferable.

Nite Owl:
Just got a letter from the nhs telling me that because of certain medical conditions, I’m “vulnerable” and must self isolate for 12 weeks. Now if I’d felt symptoms I would have gladly holed up for a couple of weeks, but 12? I have savings set aside to pay my bills for a couple of months, maybe more if I’m careful, in the event of finding myself unemployed. But 3 months? Now I’ve only just started this new job about a month ago, where do I stand on this 80% pay thing? Will I still have a job in three months? This has bothered me more than the thought of getting the bloody virus!

To be frank, I’m tempted to just crack on. If I come down with anything I’ll deal with it then. That’s more to do with being cooped up for 3 months than any money worries.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Thoughts, ideas and discussion welcome.

Mr Nite Owl.

Make no mistake, the government aren’t just writing to high risk people for ■■■■■ and giggles. They’re serious.
You know that part in the letter to those identified as high risk that says if you catch coronavirus you will be severely ill, don’t take it lightly, what it really means is that you WILL die, and in doing so will use up NHS resources in the process that could otherwise have been used to help some who had a better chance of survival.

This is not just the flu. Fit and healthy people who catch this also stand a chance of dying or having to live with extensive lung damage for ever more.
This virus destroys lung tissue in healthy people, it plain destroys what’s left of the lungs of people who already have lung disease of any description.

You cannot look at this like any normal situation. Right now everybody, fit and healthy or with underlying medical conditions will play a part in either helping or exacerbating the situation.
Foolish and selfish actions can effect thousands of other people and lead to many more people than would otherwise be the case taking up valuable and very limited medical care.

If you are also getting text alerts from the nhs coronavirus service then you will have received a new message this evening (Tuesday 24/03/2020).

“New rules in place: you must now stay at home”.

It would appear this is no longer advice or suggestion.
Please do yourself and everybody else a favour and comply.

My workplace has given those who call in sick regularly 12 weeks isolation.We went to a staff meeting on Monday they were up in arms.The company told everyone who self isolates will be paid but drivers are complaining about getting paid 39 hours only.

WheelsofCardiff:
My workplace has given those who call in sick regularly 12 weeks isolation.We went to a staff meeting on Monday they were up in arms.The company told everyone who self isolates will be paid but drivers are complaining about getting paid 39 hours only.

Let me guess your basic hours ? [emoji3166]
39 by any chance? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be under no illusions if you do get it you will end up in hospital
But you will not be getting visits from friends or family , you will be on your own .
I am one of those at risk , I was also due to be in hospital on thursday for an operation and investigation into something going on in my bladder . Today they cancelled my admission as I would be in greater danger of something nasty going wrong in the hospital or post op than the thing that is in my bladder .
I am actually relieved that it’s not going ahead .
I had already self isolated because of my underlying health problems.
We will try again once it all calms down later in the year .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

grumpyken52:

I was under the impression that for some people the symptoms are so mild that they don’t even know they’ve had it?

Harry Monk:

grumpyken52:

I was under the impression that for some people the symptoms are so mild that they don’t even know they’ve had it?

I you are normally healthy it is probably the case , but many in the vulnerable/ at risk group are getting hit hard by it .
One of the reasons Italy is suffering so badly is that it has the highest percentage of elderly people in Europe.
It attacks and damages the lungs the most , an area that the old and infirm do suffer from .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk