ISO Container work, but for the RAIL PORT

I worked for Maritime Transport Ltd back in 2004 based at Thamesport --which I understand that MTL base is no longer there.

I recall never assisting with loading/unloading, and it circulated the saying that we weren’t even due to open the doors of a loaded ISO container.

Now I am doing container work but for the Rail Port, trains.

Is there any difference respect to sea shipping? I mean in regards to assist or not to assist loading/offloading.
I would imagine there should be a piece of binding rules in this regard somewhere within regulatory texts of the sorts.

The way I saw it back those days hauling containers: The boxes belong to shipping companies (Maersk Line, CMA-CMG, etc), not to the haulier in that particular case (MTL). I take the box to the client, and they do whatever they feel like with it, which does not involve the driver, who just seals it up and takes it up and down the roads and docks.

Now, for this haulier using the rail, container boxes belong to the very same hauling company. That is the only difference I see respect to sea shipping right away, without much further thought.

Are there rules governing the rail transport of containers different for the ones governing sea shipping?

There are few laws about it, but,
DeepSea boxes, those from the USA, China, Japan, etc are generally not touched by drivers, apart from twistlocks and opening the doors, due to union agreements reached back in the 70`s.
ShortSea or EU boxes are treated much as dropped trailers and drivers may (according to contract of employment etc) be offloaded by drivers.
Same for domestic UK boxes as shortsea boxes.

If asked to get in a box by a client, and you aren`t meant to, beware that you may not be covered by your company insurance.

Still the same
Their box , their load , you don’t get in or help unload box only open doors and shut them
You’re a chauffeur to the box that’s it
I work for Port Express and ain’t helped with a box yet
Rail port boxes are only deep sea ones that have been put on a train at Southampton , Felixstowe or London Gateway and then taken off at Rail terminal

The boxes in question belong to the same haulage firm and stay in Britain, train is moving them back and forth Scotland-Midlands. It feels to me core drivers’ approach is as if they were regular road trailers, which contradicts my former experience at Maritime and which is in the line of your comments.

No laws nor rules say drivers can not interact with boxes moving only in the UK.There may be various agreements/rules/contract obligations etc but they will be between the companies and their drivers. Some companies want drivers to load/tip, some don`t.

The original reason for drivers not touching DeepSea boxes concerned job losses for Dockies. The fear was that well paid dock jobs unstuffing boxes would be replaced by poorly paid driver jobs as we did the dirty work for less money, as well as driving! (They didn`t mind us sweating loading trailers in the docks before boxes!)
Anyway that is an aside, but is the reason for the ongoing difference.

Whether or not you handle goods in your boxes in between the Midlands and Scotland depends on your contract of employment, exactly as if it is a normal trailer. Some companies want it some don`t. No outside rules apply.

Cue, Carryfast and the broken back saga.

Just a matter of old customs detached from current ways of operating? nothing properly regulated?

IMHO no real change.
DeepSea boxes still don`t get driver/load interaction. ShortSea and domestic boxes which are replacing drop trailers might get driver tip/load, the same as before.
It has always been that drivers are expected by most companies to tip/load domestic loads., and no change except for a box lifted on instead of a trl swop.

There’s a new secure Truckstop opening in Felixstowe soon. CCTV, showers, shop and Laundry machine. Sandwiches and snacks from the shop, food wagon soon after opening. Located at : IP11 3HH

Carryfast couldn’t care less.For me the handballing of freight is over.Let alone the insult of being a labourer to keep an overpaid underworked train driver in a job.

Given your username, your post may be a borderline advert.

A read of Forum Rule #5 is advised.