ISO cable

after 2 years of class 1 the learning now is really starting to begin.
Suzi cable question. The cable that i think is the ISO the big chunky cable, when the trailer does not have a connection for it to go in, and the tractor unit does not have any where to connect it to either, where do i put, do i let it dangle as such…also i once had a tractor with a blank housing to connect to so as the abs brake light did not show but i was told by a shunter not to plug it in as it would be illegal and again i should leave it loose., what do i do with it thoughts please

If both unit and trailer have the ISO socket then it’s illegal to run without a wire between them. If one or both of them don’t have a socket then it doesn’t legally matter what you do with the cable.

If the trailer doesn’t have the socket then if there was space to plug the loose end in I would do that, if not I would probably unplug it at the other end and chuck the whole thing into the passenger footwell out of the way.

I would avoid leaving it to dangle in case it dropped down and got tangled up in the propshaft.

Paul

i once had a tractor with a blank housing to connect to so as the abs brake light did not show but i was told by a shunter not to plug it in as it would be illegal and again i should leave it loose.

Surely that’s the idea of the blank connector?

Do shunters ever plug anything in? :laughing:

dennisw1:

i once had a tractor with a blank housing to connect to so as the abs brake light did not show but i was told by a shunter not to plug it in as it would be illegal and again i should leave it loose.

Surely that’s the idea of the blank connector?

Do shunters ever plug anything in? :laughing:

YES Dennis!!

I often shunt at my depot and I can assure you that I connect the yellow line in addition to the red.

Yes, It takes an extra five seconds per movement, but when you’re pulling a fully-freighted one of these about

you want to be able to stop!!!

But I know other blokes don’t always bother. :open_mouth: :unamused:

Our tugs aren’t fitted with electrics, however. :frowning:

Our tugs aren’t fitted with electrics, however.

But they go to the trouble of Taxing it and putting number plates on it? :confused: Why bother if you cant tow a trailer on the road with it anyway?

Fair point though, nice to know not all shunters are lazy gits.

dennisw1:
But they go to the trouble of Taxing it and putting number plates on it? :confused:

Think of somewhere like ASDA Normanton; five yards within about two miles of each other so the tug/s could move (solo) between each of them to work.

I spent a few months on a shunt tug where the yard was busy enough to warrant a tug but not big enough to have a bunded fuel tank. I had to go out onto the public roads to go and refuel it. I can definately say the suspension is not designed for anything other than a smooth yard!! :unamused: :unamused:

marcustandy:
Think of somewhere like ASDA Normanton; five yards within about two miles of each other so the tug/s could move (solo) between each of them to work.

Exactly the reason why, Marcus. We have two depots within spitting distance of each other. :sunglasses:

dennisw1:
Fair point though, nice to know not all shunters are lazy gits.

Thanks, Dennis. :smiley:

No, we are not. Although I agree that many do take shortcuts.
Trouble is, if you have an accident, and you aren’t using the yellow line - you’ve had it. And it’s not just the firm’s disciplinary procedure you’re going to be facing! :wink: