Isnt this how people get hurt?

Twice this week I’ve had to collect a trailer, on both occasions the brake trailer brake hadnt been applied…

Usually down to lazy shunters mate, most drivers do it by routine, but a shunter has to make a special trip to apply it…

Stobarts trailer parking brake comes on automatically when you drop the red airline.

Also, I’ve used a few trailers where the trailer brake is on the front of the trailer, which MAKES SENSE - they also had 1 inside the trailer for when being loaded.

In theory it shouldn’t really matter if the brake is applied or not on modern stuff, as the brakes will lock on automatically should air be lost…plus before connecting we all check to see if the brake is on, right?.. :wink:

Trouble is you don’t know if some plonker has pressed the shunt button.

:smiley: :smiley: I’ve had same trailer for last 3 weeks…what are landing legs

i just started on fridges,so am having to do split coupling.most of the trailers have that slidey thing that enables you to connect up without standing on the catwalk.
however,i picked one up the other night without the slidey thing and i don`t mind admitting i was a little edgey as i connected the air lines…if someone has pressed the shunt button,will it roll forward and sqaush me :question:

the new breed.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

you takin the ■■■■ :question:

commonrail:
you takin the ■■■■ :question:

who. me or him?

you

commonrail:
i just started on fridges,so am having to do split coupling.most of the trailers have that slidey thing that enables you to connect up without standing on the catwalk.
however,i picked one up the other night without the slidey thing and i don`t mind admitting i was a little edgey as i connected the air lines…if someone has pressed the shunt button,will it roll forward and sqaush me :question:

Don’t worry about the shunt button, connecting the red air line will push it out.
Worry, if you must, about the parking brakes on your tractor unit and trailer.
If these are set you will never have the lorry roll away.

Regards,
Nick.

phew…thanx :smiley:

triple-tango:
Twice this week I’ve had to collect a trailer, on both occasions the brake trailer brake hadnt been applied…

I know very few drivers who use the trailer brake. You don’t need to on modern trailers where the spring brakes come on automatically when you pull the red airline. The only time I ever worry about it is if I am split coupling in which case I always make sure to check it is on before I start.

Paul

commonrail:

No because as a responsible driver you will have checked that the trailer brake is on and the shunt button is out before you start the coupling procedure :wink:

Paul

dri-diddly-iver:
:smiley: :smiley: I’ve had same trailer for last 3 weeks…what are landing legs

So what are “landing Legs” ?

Madguy :smiling_imp:

repton:

commonrail:

No because as a responsible driver you will have checked that the trailer brake is on and the shunt button is out before you start the coupling procedure :wink:

Paul

i allways make sure the trailer brake is on…i once saw one roll away and t bone a rigid straight into the side of another.seconds earlier me and a few others were standing chatting inbetween these 2 rigids whilst waiting to diesel up…something i`ll never forget :frowning:

i cant recall the last time i worked at a company it wasnt a requirement on h&s to make sure it was applied? but i also dont have to split couple either!

commonrail:

As long as the unit handbrake is on, connecting the yellow line first before the red will apply the brakes on the trailer whether the trailer h/b is applied or shunt button pushed.

The only way you could be killed if the trailer brake is off, is if you’re dumb enough to leave the hand brake off inside the unit. And before you all get your knives out, yes I’ve left the hand brake off once. I was a ■■■■ for doing it and was very lucky it was on level ground and I was solo

Big Joe:
As long as the unit handbrake is on, connecting the yellow line first before the red will apply the brakes on the trailer whether the trailer h/b is applied or shunt button pushed.

That depends on the type of tractor unit.
Scania and Volvo, for example, have no air pressure in the yellow line when the hand brake is on,
therefore connecting the yellow line has no effect on the trailer brakes.

All tractor units, however, have air pressure in the red line, which will release the trailer brakes if the trailer brake is not on.

Regards,
Nick

OVLOV JAY:
The only way you could be killed if the trailer brake is off, is if you’re dumb enough to leave the hand brake off inside the unit. And before you all get your knives out, yes I’ve left the hand brake off once. I was a ■■■■ for doing it and was very lucky it was on level ground and I was solo

If the fifth wheel is supporting the weight of the trailer when split coupling, there is a danger that when the red air line is connected it can roll forward when no trailer h/b is applied, not a good scenario on fridges where the motor box runs inches from the rear of the cab :frowning: so always yellow line on first :sunglasses: