Is this true or not

over the last few days ive been in a fair few yards[ including big companies] where theyve made no attempt to clear up snow or ice, ive also been in some where every man and his dog seemed to be on gritting
i was chatting with some lads and they recon if you dont clear the yard you cant be held responsible for any accidents that happen within that yard, wheras if you attemp to grit it etc, your admiting theres a problem so if theres a accident it could be the companys fault.
all seems a bit irish to me, but it seems strange some big companies make no attempt to grit or clean there yard up. ta

Heard of this before but about private drives. If you attempt to clear it and someone slips, they can sue you. If you do nothing and leave it they can’t.

i dare say that is true in this day in age, as if they do grit and miss some, somone falls/has accident they can then sue saying the job wasnt done correctly it was unsafe blah blah blah…which in theory would be true. :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

It’s certainly true at the company I work for. Every year we get issued a notice about not gritting public areas for the reason that if anyone is hurt after gritting we will be held responsible.

Yep. Think its true. Friend told me other day bout steps at his local pub. Steps slippery and icy. Landlord said the same thing. I’ve heard it before also.

This is very true and applies to both workplaces and private premises (your house driveway ect) So in essence be a lazy beggar and you cannot get sued or be a helpfull kinda person and any injured party can sue Fair,I think Not :smiling_imp:

i was going to do pavement outside my house until the wife told me. last year i did the old lady’s next doors path not this year!!! as the world gone mad. i think so.

When we were in Germany a few years ago, everybody was responsible to clearing the snow away from outside their own patch, and had to be done as it was the law, so all the pavements were always clear.

I have heard that this is correct on some radio programme a few years ago when Councils and shops stopped clearing the pavements in towns, apparently somebody won a court case based on the fact that they got injured by falling on an improperly cleared path, because the job had been done “Negligently” the court awarded damages. So now people don’t clear snow away because if they dont do it at all they cant be held responsible. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

We had a CB truck with a stack of pallets with an upended pallet shrinkwrapped to it going around the yard as a snowplough yesterday. And the shunters were shovelling out from under the wheels so the artics could back up to the goods in bays. We usually grit the yard and car park/walkways etc.

The snow is there by act of God,if you choose to clear snow or ice then you are responsible for the result.I know that its a mad way of doing thingsbut, the public can and will sue.

Ayup Fallingbostel,It is the law yes,but it isnt always obeyed.In Krefeld earlier this month there was loads of footpaths still covered,roads too.But tis different snow and much easier to walk and drive on :wink: cheers Joe.