Is this too much power?

Hello all TNUK members!!

Yestertday evening I was crawling back along the M5 towards the Midlnds when I was overtaken by a German-riegtered sleeper cab Atego 7.5t with tilt body. Nothing suprising about that, but the badges said 828. I first though it had got badges taken off an 1828 Atego so I wasnt too surprised.

However when I got up to Hopwood services for a break, it was in the Truck Park having a 45 break and I was parked close to it so I went and had a look. Talking with the driver, he said that his company had a number of them, working in rapid transport of aircraft parts throughout Europe.

My comment is “forget the power race for tractor units” - is 279bhp too much for 7.5t since we are all limited?

Any thoughts/comments?

Ed

EDSHARK:
Hello all TNUK members!!

Yestertday evening I was crawling back along the M5 towards the Midlnds when I was overtaken by a German-riegtered sleeper cab Atego 7.5t with tilt body. Nothing suprising about that, but the badges said 828. I first though it had got badges taken off an 1828 Atego so I wasnt too surprised.

However when I got up to Hopwood services for a break, it was in the Truck Park having a 45 break and I was parked close to it so I went and had a look. Talking with the driver, he said that his company had a number of them, working in rapid transport of aircraft parts throughout Europe.

My comment is “forget the power race for tractor units” - is 279bhp too much for 7.5t since we are all limited?

Any thoughts/comments?

Ed

Not really, a firm I worked for had 250bhp 7.5t’s a few years ago, 220bhp was about standard, and that’s going back a few years.

My car’s got 193bhp and doesn’t and never will weigh 7.5t, looked at a Hybrid the other day that was knocking on 350bhp.

Torque figures mainly matter in haulage, and I know my little 3 litre diesel isn’t going to compete with a 7.5t 6 litre engine.

I have a powerfull car to tow my caravan, which it does with ease but still drops a gear on most hills and lost 2mph on the A34 coming back north :open_mouth:

I don’t think its too much. Might be useful for twisty steep roads as these vehicles are permitted coach speed limits on minor roads - 50 mph on single carriage ways and 56(60 mph)mph on dual carriageways.

A Volvo 12 metre coach weighting 13 tons empty can have 420 installed horsepower :slight_smile:

EDSHARK:
working in rapid transport of aircraft parts throughout Europe.

That explains it then. AOGs (Aircraft on Ground) are not cheap. Boeing estimate a 2 hr AOG costs $10,000. :open_mouth:
By the time all the costs are dealt with it can be as much as $150,000 :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

This of course excludes Ryanair who would charge you for the privelage of being delayed. :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Didnt scottie have a 240hp ateco 7.5t or something? its only 52hp short of what my car has.

Did it have a drag hitch on it ■■ A lot of German 7.5s pull drags summat to do with cheap Maut iirc

I had a Rolls engined Sedd-Atkinson with a 220 in it…and that was at 32 tons!

Too much power was the 700bhp 4x2 Volvo FH16 I was looking at the other day, not sure how they kept the front axle on the ground…

gogzy:
Didnt scottie have a 240hp ateco 7.5t or something? its only 52hp short of what my car has.

Yup, I had the 824 atego and to be honest, for local work it was overpowered and had a crap payload, but on long distances it came into it’s own, knocking 30 minutes off a trip from Aberdeen to Bristol (making it possible in a 10 hr drive) which in our line of work saved having to send 2 drivers, and averaging 17-18 mpg (compared to 13 on the 815 it replaced).

gogzy:

Thought Scottie had two anti matter warp drive engines powered by Dilithium crystals!

truckerjon:

gogzy:

Thought Scottie had two anti matter warp drive engines powered by Dilithium crystals!

“She’ll nay take anymore Captain”!!!

Sorry, couldn’t resist that :unamused:

Ross.

LMAO

well that aswell.