They will be fine with no gormless drivers. :laughing:

What about the gormless programmer that wrote the code? :wink:

albion1971:

Evil8Beezle:

albion1971:
London's first driverless cars based on Heathrow 'pods' - BBC News

I can’t wait for you to start criticising them mate! :wink:

They will be fine with no gormless drivers. :laughing:

A link under the main story featured the troubles that BT have been having with their broadband service during the day. What happens when a major system issue screws up the management of all these vehicles? I’m reminded of a saying " to err is human but to really screw up needs a computer".

Computer programmers are not known for being gormless Evil. :wink:

Wiretwister I am sure there will be some sort of back up if there are any major problems.

At least they won’t ignore speed limits and traffic signs and there will be no road rage either. They may even check their mirrors for cyclists before they move off if we are lucky. :laughing:

albion1971:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

That is the funniest think you have ever said pal! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
For a start I’d love to hear how you would know, do you play bridge and scrabble with a few? :smiley:

And I’ve known hundreds of then, and beyond speaking “code”, quite a lot of them struggle to open cornflake boxes! :laughing:
I’m serious as well, common sense is a rare commodity in a development team, and I wouldn’t let half of them wire a plug or make beans on toast! What I suspect you are failing to grasp, is that it’s all very well coding something to do something, the hard part is to code something that doesn’t fall flat on it’s face the moment the inputs aren’t as expected!

Evil8Beezle:

albion1971:

That is the funniest think you have ever said pal! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
For a start I’d love to hear how you would know, do you play bridge and scrabble with a few? :smiley:

And I’ve known hundreds of then, and beyond speaking “code”, quite a lot of them struggle to open cornflake boxes! :laughing:
I’m serious as well, common sense is a rare commodity in a development team, and I wouldn’t let half of them wire a plug or make beans on toast! What I suspect you are failing to grasp, is that it’s all very well coding something to do something, the hard part is to code something that doesn’t fall flat on it’s face the moment the inputs aren’t as expected!

That’s your opinion but not mine. I wonder why they get paid a shed load of cash more than a lorry driver.
Not for being gormless that’s for sure.
You can’t become a programmer after 4 days training! :wink:

cwjobs.co.uk/salary-checker/ … mer-salary

albion1971:

Evil8Beezle:

albion1971:

That’s your opinion but not mine. I wonder why they get paid a shed load of cash more than a lorry driver.

Because they can write code, and one program earns or save loads of money, but it doesn’t always go well. Many years ago during my brief and not very note worthy IT career, I worked for a major financial institution, the amount of times a new system installed during a weekend and had to be removed by Monday afternoon because it didn’t work, despite hours of development and testing. I can still hear the words of our department manager shouting “back out the changes” and one of my jobs was to work out how much the system failure had cost the company and send it to the directors.

And I could give you many more examples of software not doing what it was intended to do, or adversly impacting on another system, due to unforeseen problems.

albion1971:

Evil8Beezle:

albion1971:

A very old friend of mine hasn’t a single programming qualification to his name, and yes he earns a mint commuting up to London every day. But that’s not the norm, as 90% of people in IT earn below the link you posted, and the numbers are skewed because of the very top earners. I also worked in IT for many years, was on good money when I was freelance, and again don’t hold a single IT qualification. So i think I know the score on that topic better than you, and can assure you that you don’t necessarily need to be clever. Look at me! :smiley:

But the main point is that code will only do something when an input tells it too, and there is no way on this planet that a programmer will think of all of these, and write the code to cope with it. And even if it does, the moment 2 inputs clash, what then?
Does the vehicle drive away from the fuel leak, or does it avoid the plane also taking evasive action away from the fuel leak?
Give me a human, or a human override every day of the week!!!

muckles:
Because they can write code, and one program earns or save loads of money, but it doesn’t always go well. Many years ago during my brief and not very note worthy IT career, I worked for a major financial institution, the amount of times a new system installed during a weekend and had to be removed by Monday afternoon because it didn’t work, despite hours of development and testing. I can still hear the words of our department manager shouting “back out the changes” and one of my jobs was to work out how much the system failure had cost the company and send it to the directors.

And I could give you many more examples of software not doing what it was intended to do, or adversly impacting on another system, due to unforeseen problems.

+1 But we need to remember that Albion1971 is an advanced expert on everything! :wink:

He is an expert ■■■.

I will give him that.

the words…“british car manufacturer” makes it inevitably doomed to failure…best to just use something similar the germans don’t want and itl work fine.

If I’ve read it right they can’t be trusted to use the roads only the pavement where obviously pedestrian casualties are considered a price worth paying for artificial intelligence. :open_mouth: :laughing:

On that note I’m guessing that Albion wanted the Terminator to win in the film not John Connor. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Yea but John Connor was an agency driver, wasn’t he or am I getting confused with another ? :slight_smile:

Easy mistake to make Raymundo.

John Connor was the resistance leader.

Conor is the limper’s leader.

albion1971:
Wiretwister I am sure there will be some sort of back up if there are any major problems.

At least they won’t ignore speed limits and traffic signs and there will be no road rage either. They may even check their mirrors for cyclists before they move off if we are lucky. :laughing:

Yes that would be the human driver. Given the technology in aircraft and the lack of passenger carrying drones I would contend that the driver less car, on the public highway, is still a long, long way off.

On a bit of a tangent the Scania that I drive most days has cruise control that is tied to satnav/onboard mapping and there are places where the CC drops out without fail ( A34 crossing the A4 for instance), not really a problem as I simple hit the resume button . It’s more than just my regular vehicle as all the post 14 plate Scanias that I’ve driven do it and at the same places so another experience that fails to fill me with confidence for unmanned vehicles.

I think you are correct Wired one. The Scania’s I drove for the green mob were all 64, 15 or 65 plates, and they all dropped out on CC.