Is this the standard of truck driving in America?

I lost count after the sixth truck crashed.

youtu.be/00-Id-mXtUM

I haven’t seen camerawork that bad since I watched “Blair Witch Project”!

mainly because all american/canadian long haulers paid by the mile hence the hammer down mentallity most of em cant even drive in perfect weather

No fatalities apparently - something to said about having bonneted units.

you just count till 6 :question:

some of them were not wearing hi viz I reckon health and safety should be informed,lol

Its only because we don’t have such extremes of weather like they do there that it doesn’t happen here on that kind of scale or it would.
Often.
Nothing quite like driving at a speed in which you can see to stop.

Think it says more about the mentality of the idiots standing filming instead of going further up the road to warn oncoming traffic than it does the standard of driving. The UK grinds to a halt for a fortnight when the slightest bit of snow arrives so we’ve no right whatsoever to criticise driving ability. The UK has some of the worst drivers in the world when the snow hits the ground.

There’s another vid on youtube taken by somebody wandering around the crash scene in the immediate aftermath - it’s not pretty. :open_mouth:

Wonder how UK tarmac citycat would have performed in such conditions himself…

kyk:
Wonder how UK tarmac citycat would have performed in such conditions himself…

Thanks for the insinuation that I’m sitting on some sort of high horse.

However, I’ve had more than my fair share of driving through white out conditions and on snow and ice while driving coaches up and down the French and Italian Alps, sometimes with school kids on board, and feeling that stomach clenching moment when the wheels lose grip and you feel her starting to slide towards the mountainside, or even worse the ‘long drop’ on the other side of the road.

Obviously, in those sort of conditions, you take it slow and easy no matter how long it takes to complete a few miles, especially when you can’t see more than a few feet ahead of you in falling snow. So, back to my original question…

You’re also forgetting that 99% of the trucks over here don’t run on discs, the kit is so old I’m not sure it’s really ABS more of a load type sensor. I’m sure if that was in the UK it would have been hell of a lot more. Not to mention there’s hell of a lot Indians and Mexicans behind the wheel not to mention the other states that very rare see rain let alone snow and ice.

maurice:
Think it says more about the mentality of the idiots standing filming instead of going further up the road to warn oncoming traffic than it does the standard of driving. .

That was what I thought, at one point, you hear a Women say “I don’t know what should we do”, I thought that’s a real poser, try warning the approaching traffic, just a thought My dear. :unamused:

And how many of you have driven on I-80 in WY or NE in winter conditions■■? Don’t judge drivers by stupid you tube video please.
I had brakes froze, fuel froze, car roll over in front of me, I-80 shut down because of 3 feet of snow for 2 days(thank God Petro truck stop was near by). Because colleagues of mine were stuck on I-80 in WY for 2 days and fire brigade rescue them from winter death so to speak, truck fuel clog up, no running truck, no heat , no power to charge your phone, 30 below zero outside, 3-4 feet of snow, its a fvcking nightmare, excuse my language. Had the worst winter driving in NE, Hwy2 where you cant make a difference between road and farm field with nowhere to stop while driving on a foot of ice…

eddie snax:

maurice:
Think it says more about the mentality of the idiots standing filming instead of going further up the road to warn oncoming traffic than it does the standard of driving. .

That was what I thought, at one point, you hear a Women say “I don’t know what should we do”, I thought that’s a real poser, try warning the approaching traffic, just a thought My dear. :unamused:

You want to cross the median and into the oncoming traffic in this conditions you carry on soon see ya laying starshape at the side of the road

Dolph:
And how many of you have driven on I-80 in WY or NE in winter conditions

It would be fair to say that there is no comparison between worst case North American winter weather v European simply because it takes a large landmass to produce the extremes of temperature involved.The worst we get is when strong east winds bring cold air from Russia in that regard and we haven’t often,if at all,had anything as severe as that since the 1980’s especially January 1982.

sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/inde … _21423.jpg

As for American drivers in bad weather.It’s probably a combination of over confidence and a false sense of security provided by the double drive configuration and bonneted wagons.In conditions that would probably put the average euro type artic in the nearest ditch at half the speed.

Carryfast:

Dolph:
And how many of you have driven on I-80 in WY or NE in winter conditions

It would be fair to say that there is no comparison between worst case North American winter weather v European simply because it takes a large landmass to produce the extremes of temperature involved.The worst we get is when strong east winds bring cold air from Russia in that regard and we haven’t often,if at all,had anything as severe as that since the 1980’s especially January 1982.

sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/inde … _21423.jpg

As for American drivers in bad weather.It’s probably a combination of over confidence and a false sense of security provided by the double drive configuration and bonneted wagons.In conditions that would probably put the average euro type artic in the nearest ditch at half the speed.

I agree with you to a certain point. We have extreme weather here in Bulgaria(which is in Europe) and some parts of the continent, that could be compared to some US states, the UK motorway picture from 1982 is every winter Bulgarian motorways . In 2012 we pass 30 below zero mark, some places had 35-36 below plus several feet of snow.
I can say the american way of trucking is more harsh, tough and enjoyable in the same time compare to euro driving(strict regulations, border crossing blocks etc.)

taffytrucker:

eddie snax:

maurice:

You want to cross the median and into the oncoming traffic in this conditions you carry on soon see ya laying starshape at the side of the road

Oh Hang On, whats that long wire thing in the middle of the median, oh ! its crash arrester cable, say, why don’t they walk down their side of the carriageway, which itself is blocked behind them, so no fear off traffic moving on their side of the road. I think even if it were futile, I would rather attempt to alert the oncoming traffic to slow, rather than stand and be totally helpless. :unamused:

Still each to their own :wink:

eddie snax:

taffytrucker:

eddie snax:

maurice:

Oh Hang On, whats that long wire thing in the middle of the median, oh ! its crash arrester cable, say, why don’t they walk down their side of the carriageway, which itself is blocked behind them, so no fear off traffic moving on their side of the road. I think even if it were futile, I would rather attempt to alert the oncoming traffic to slow, rather than stand and be totally helpless. :unamused:

You carry on then. Plus with those conditions and visibility do you think they are really gonna see you?

taffytrucker:

eddie snax:

taffytrucker:

eddie snax:

You carry on then. Plus with those conditions and visibility do you think they are really gonna see you?

That is a factor, but as I stated “I think even if it were futile, I would rather attempt to alert the oncoming traffic to slow, rather than stand and be totally helpless”