Is this the end of the manual gearbox?

This has been mentioned in the newbee drivers section before:

gov.uk/government/news/chan … test-rules

Someone somewhere has decided that if you can operate a manual box in a car, then you can operate a manual box in a lorry with no extra training. :open_mouth: :confused: There will be a whole generation of new drivers who have never used a four over four, it may seem straight forward to us but remember how intimidating it was when you first used one? So does this mean the end of the manual box?

I think that manuals will be phased out in the next 5 years.If they cost about the same then why choose old technology?

It will be easier to gain C & C+E licence due to lack of gearchanging, not having to worry about correct gear selection at junctions etc. just point and press!!! Also less training reqd. to get to driving test standard = less cost.
The familiarisation training after licence acquisition then becomes the haulage company’s responsibility - as it always has done i.e. test passed in (unladen) 4 over 4 then able to drive 44-tonne 16 speed or Eaton twin-splitter, totally different animal. So just an exaggeration of a long-standing problem…the old saying 'You start learning to drive AFTER you pass your test" still applies!!

Lots of drivers are reluctant to jump ship from manual to auto. but once they have many would never go back. Modern auto.s are generally very good, easy to drive, reliable & importantly competitively priced and show similar fuel economy, less clutch wear, so are becoming the ‘norm’ for most operations. They’ve come a long way. I drove a Neoplan double-decker fully automatic coach in the 1990’s - it never could decide which gear it wanted to be in when pulling. It was ok on flat motorways - otherwise a bit of a dog!!! Especially in the Alps!!!

I just find autos so utterly dull to drive. I always took a bit of a pride in getting the best out of the machinery I was given to drive, and about the most you can do with a modern auto truck is drive it in manual mode. I haven’t driven anything with an auto 'box which doesn’t miss the clutch pedal either, especially in reverse. I’ve got used to autos because I’ve had to, but give me the choice and I’ll walk past any number of auto trucks to get to the one with a manual 'box.

In Western Australia the test truck has to be loaded, you have to demonstrate that you can descend a steep hill without the use of the service brake and you can choose to sit an auto, synchro or non-synchro test. However, if you ever want to progress to road trains you need an unrestricted i.e. non-synchro licence.

oakeedokee:
This has been mentioned in the newbee drivers section before:

gov.uk/government/news/chan … test-rules

Someone somewhere has decided that if you can operate a manual box in a car, then you can operate a manual box in a lorry with no extra training. :open_mouth: :confused: There will be a whole generation of new drivers who have never used a four over four, it may seem straight forward to us but remember how intimidating it was when you first used one? So does this mean the end of the manual box?

We’ve still got alot off manuals on our fleet, all our DAF’s and the older Scania’s and Volvo’s, last year I saw a young driver at our place trying to get under a trailer, he just kept stalling,and the smell off hot clutch when I walked over to offer a hand was quite strong. Anyway he’d never driven a manual gearbox truck, trained on an Auto. He was trying to back under in high range, so I put him right and run through how it all works, he got out off the yard ok, but I’ve never seen him again. To offer a bit off advice is 2nd nature to Me and most drivers, but that Lad might have felt a bit undermined if on his 1st shift he couldnt even get the basics right through lack off training. :wink:

Daz1970:
It will be easier to gain C & C+E licence due to lack of gearchanging, not having to worry about correct gear selection at junctions etc. just point and press!!! Also less training reqd. to get to driving test standard = less cost.
The familiarisation training after licence acquisition then becomes the haulage company’s responsibility - as it always has done i.e. test passed in (unladen) 4 over 4 then able to drive 44-tonne 16 speed or Eaton twin-splitter, totally different animal. So just an exaggeration of a long-standing problem…the old saying 'You start learning to drive AFTER you pass your test" still applies!!
!!!

Well that is true, but then maybe its yet another obstacle to a new driver getting a job, the fact that a busy haulage concern may have to mess about “up skilling” him in what should be the basics.

Daz1970:
Lots of drivers are reluctant to jump ship from manual to auto. but once they have many would never go back. Modern auto.s are generally very good, easy to drive, reliable & importantly competitively priced and show similar fuel economy, less clutch wear, so are becoming the ‘norm’ for most operations. They’ve come a long way. !!!

I didnt drive an auto til 2010(3 pedal opticruise), and true was reluctant to do so, and its true that I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was to drive, but I have also been back onto manuals since, and I do enjoy the feeling off conection you get with a manual gearbox.

I can see the pro’s cons for both and would be happy with either, but I can handle either and that is the ability that is going to be vanish if drivers arent trained on them :wink:

robbiminator:
In Western Australia the test truck has to be loaded, you have to demonstrate that you can descend a steep hill without the use of the service brake and you can choose to sit an auto, synchro or non-synchro test. However, if you ever want to progress to road trains you need an unrestricted i.e. non-synchro licence.

Since November 2013 in UK we have to use simulated load for training/testing: Cat. C rigid needs 5 tonnes on it’s back & Cat. C+E artic needs 8 tonne I think that’s correct■■? It’s made our training artic. a little underpowered to say the least,as it was specced with 240 BHP - we thought it would be unladen for all it’s life - now a bit sluggish, even after re-map!!!

In my opinion if you pass your test in a “rev up and go” then that is what you should be limited to, yes I know that most large firms have auto trucks now, autos wont take over in all areas of transport

The less agency drivers that can drive manuals the better. Less chance of my motor going out on my days off.

Is it now that to have a manual box and non sleeper cab those cost extra ?

All our 6 wheelers are scania 4 over 4’s and our tractors are all scania auto’s. Our transport manager says freely that the autos were bought due to damage to manual units and i am sure the new 6 wheelers due in the next few weeks are autos to. A manual is the true daddy but for ease and cost an auto is the way to go

I’ve driven both autos and manuals and i much prefer the auto, although i do like the eps 2 and 8 with a gate due to their ease of use.
Manuals are going to go completely in the next few years due to the fact they return same if not better economy than a manual and last longer than a manual even in the hands of the most hamfisted driver.

ROG:

For Mercedes at least, yes, that is true. We’ve been told that at our place which is why all our new vehicles are auto sleepers.

I always found it strangely satisfying running up through the gears in a loaded,manual truck. Had a weird sense of satisfaction hitting the gears and hearing it roar up to speed!
Drive an auto now and while a bit dull an at times inconvenient, suppose as mentioned it comes down to cost.
Lee

ROG:

I hope so as I detest day cabs so any reason for companies not to buy them is fine by me! :smiley:

Hope not, love the odd day in a manual.

Passed my psv 3 in manual. Then did class 1 in auto, then in 91 we were told we could drive manual class 1 but only if trained by depot instructor.
My training turned out to be a crew job with instructor, assement done through brum city at kicking out time…

Passed no probs…

Spent many years showing older drivers how to use the splitter, loved them.

I’m one of these people you speak of, having driven 8 wheel tippers since 2003 I finally got round to doing my Class 1 so I could move up to the artics.
Now the guy who I did my test and lessons with had got on top of this new legislation and traded his old Scania 4 series in for a MAN Auto wagon and drag, telling me that it was coming in at end of January so not to worry about it, you’ll pass in my auto and gain a full manual licence.
All good I thought, till the morning of test and the 1st thing the examiner told me was that if I pass in an auto i’d be restricted to an auto until the new regs came in (as there’d been a delay in it being passed)

So I passed my test and got my licence, yes thankfully I drive a MAN TGA 26 430 auto unit, so driving his made it more familiar for me but I felt cheated that I came away with a restricted licence…especially after passing my Class 2 in 2003 I went straight onto an ERF EC14 with an Eaton twin splitter (that I’m proud to say I mastered, a lovely box that i’d go back to tomorrow if I had the choice) so driving a manual wouldn’t have been an issue for me.

My only question now is how do I go about getting the restriction lifted? Is it going to cost me and if so how much??

I’ve been in my MAN (ooo eerr Mrs!!) since mid February, it just about goes where I want it to in reverse now and i’m enjoying being in the 'big boys club…wouldn’t go back to a rigid now!!

The auto box is just another nail in the coffin of British Road Haulage, lorry driving, the art of, is just about dead now, lorry drivers no longer required, a steering wheel operative with its bum on the seat is all that’s needed.

The EU and all its dictats won, as is the modern British way of Lions voting for Donkeys, they surrendered for us without a shot being fired, and we bent over and complied.

A few die hards still take a pride in what they do, stubbornly doing the job as they always have.

They’ll be gone in a few years, but thankfully there is still a band of stubborn (genuine lorry drivers are always awkward stubborn buggers) younger drivers who still carry the torch, hope they carry on doing so if for no other reason than to be a pain in the arse of the new automated world.

Meself i detest the poxy auto gearboxes more than words can say, the only one worth having is Volvo, the rest are varying degrees of crap.

Doubt i’ll drive another good manual lorry again, pity really.

Strangely as far as I can tell this change does NOT apply to car + trailer tests. Not that this will affect many on here, but seems to be the case that can have a manual car license, sit a B+E test in an auto and still only be allowed to tow trailers with an auto car. Can’t work that one out…

Going back to trucks, it will be interesting to see how many training schools are running manuals in 2 years time, and how quickly the choice of training school will be based on whether they have auto vehicles available. I’d imagine that sadly many will be forced into changing vehicles to stay competitive. I predict the (roughly) 50% pass rate rising!

Other than a hired 26tonner, only ever driven manual trucks. Had loads of auto cars though. It was a CF 65.250 with a 6 speed auto and completely useless. Made me look like a complete amateur, give me a 4 over 4 any day. I suppose a lot of it was down to the gutless motor, but it really put me off.