Is this right?

Just a quick post to advise you that if you are in full time employement already during the week then you may not be able to do any driving at weekends as all other work wether driving or not will be included in in your weekly total of working hours. Also you have to take into account your weekly rest periods.

I saw this on another thread. Is it right as I want to do weekend work when I pass for a bit whilst still in job which I do now.

Cheers in advance.

BL.

BIG LEBOWSKI:
Is it right as I want to do weekend work when I pass for a bit whilst still in job which I do now.

That is right; just 'cos you won’t be driving it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t count towards your total hours. It should be recorded as ‘other work’ and so, depending how many hours you do during the week, may mean you don’t have much available ‘working’ time, come the weekend.

Don’t forget you’ll also have to comply with weekly rest periods etc.

I work a 39 hour week. 4 x 8 hours 1 x 7 hours. How many hours would I be allowed to do a weekend?

Cheers.

It’s not so simple anymore. :unamused:

Does any of your ‘weekday work’ count as POA (Periods Of Availablity)?

There’s quite a few threads on here that go into great detail of working hours, POA, weekly rest, etc etc. To save us a long typing session try a search for them using the search option near the top of the page.

After reading through them all, ask again for any of the wee bits that don’t make sense.

BTW, i’m not being awkward with the above advice, it’s just that there’s lots more info already available than anyone is likely to rewrite on here for you! :wink:

No problems. I’ll do a search.

Cheers. :smiley:

Got to have 45 hours continuous break every week. Although you can reduce this to 36 hours, you have to make up for it later.

Lebowski, if you work in an Office during the week, and you want to do driving at weekends, why the hell don’t you just keep quiet and not tell anyone. Assuming you are not driving for the same company.
I am now waiting for all the dogooders to say ‘you cannot do that, its against the law’ … crap, the guy wants some experience before ‘hitting the high road’

I was going to say that!

so was i, but if he’s involved in a seriouse accident whilst driving a wagon at the weekend and the bods investigate he could be in seriouse trouble weather the accident was his fault or not!
just a thought.

OK let;'s settle for…

“You can drive whenever you want at the weekend so long as you keep schtum about it but if the ■■■ hits the fan you didn’t hear it from us”.

As long as he doesn’t have an accident or anything he would more than likely get away with it. Agencies and companies using temp drivers invariably get you to sign a declaration stating you are not exceeding the tacho regs by driving for them and that could come back to bite you big time in the event of a serious/fatal accident. Getting a bit of experience could lead to an extended stay in a small room. Gotta consider that when weighing up the risks. I don’t think the chance of tiredness would be much of a factor as he doesn’t work long days during the week so has plenty of rest time, but it would be assumed he was knackered in the event of an accident.

TheBear:
Lebowski, if you work in an Office during the week, and you want to do driving at weekends, why the hell don’t you just keep quiet and not tell anyone. Assuming you are not driving for the same company.
I am now waiting for all the dogooders to say ‘you cannot do that, its against the law’ … crap, the guy wants some experience before ‘hitting the high road’

Hypothetical situation, Lebowski is driving down the road in his weekend truck, he has worked all week for the last 3 weeks and driven for the last 2 weekends and this is his 3rd week without a break. He hasn’t told the agency that he is working during the week and his weekday employers know nothing of his weekend moonlighting. His head drops cos he’s tired and just at that moment, the moment he loses control of the truck, your wife/son/daughter/mother/father whatever drives around the corner and is wiped out by a guy who shouldn’t be driving in the first place.

How would you feel about your advice then ■■?

paul b:
so was i, but if he’s involved in a seriouse accident whilst driving a wagon at the weekend and the bods investigate he could be in seriouse trouble weather the accident was his fault or not!
just a thought.

Exactly! I’m hoping to go and do my driver training soon for class c and then c+e. I will be new to the game and want to stay legal and safe on the roads. The last thing I want is to end up in the ■■■!
I’ve had a search on here and read a few posts on weekend work poa etc. I’m still confused. I’ll be having 16 hours a day away from my weekday job, 5 days a week. How does that count towards how many hours I can work the weekend?
Sorry but I am new to all this. :open_mouth:

Cheers in advance.

TheBear:
Lebowski, if you work in an Office during the week, and you want to do driving at weekends, why the hell don’t you just keep quiet and not tell anyone.

It’s one of those things that you usually work out for yourself after a bit of reading between the lines!! :wink: :wink:

Willy Gofar:
Hypothetical situation, Lebowski is driving down the road in his weekend truck, he has worked all week for the last 3 weeks and driven for the last 2 weekends and this is his 3rd week without a break.

I wonder what TA people do when they’ve got their training weekends?? :wink: :wink:

as far as i can see, you could work sats, as you would still be getting your 36 rest in, which would be re paid during the week. also remember that if u have a lunch hour everyday in your day job this also doesnt count towards total working time.

too many do gooders sometimes… rules are meant to be broken

marcustandy:

Willy Gofar:
Hypothetical situation, Lebowski is driving down the road in his weekend truck, he has worked all week for the last 3 weeks and driven for the last 2 weekends and this is his 3rd week without a break.

I wonder what TA people do when they’ve got their training weekends?? :wink: :wink:

The TA coming under the auspices of the MOD are exempt from normal drivers hours rules if under the orders of a superior although the Forces do try to comply with the rules. How that would affect a driver if he had an accident in his normal work I have no idea but I do know one thing, if Lebowski injured or killed a member of your family whilst breaking the rules ( :wink: :wink: ) you would want to rip his throat out and would be demanding to know how he had been allowed to get away with it. :wink: :wink:

fixed broken quote - repton

BIG LEBOWSKI:
I’m still confused. I’ll be having 16 hours a day away from my weekday job, 5 days a week. How does that count towards how many hours I can work the weekend?

If you want to do it legally and depending on what time you finish work on a Friday and start on a Monday you could work a Saturday or a Sunday, depending on start and finish times on those days. The main consideration is fitting in a continuous 36 hour weekly rest period during the weekend. If for instance you start work at 08:00 hours Monday you could work Saturday as long as you were finished by 20:00. You could work on the Sunday as long as you didn’t start work until 36 hours after you finish work on Friday, and finish 9 hours before you start work on Monday. If you only fit in a 36 hour break each weekend you couldn’t do it every week, as you will not be able to compensate for the reduction of 9 hours. If you can extend the weekly rest to 38 hours you could do it every weekend as you will have only 7 hours to pay back and you will do that on any of the days you work 8 hours during the week, 8 hours worked = 16 hours rest = 9 hour daily + 7 hours compensation. The 2 hours reduction on that daily rest from 11 to 9 hours is paid back on any other day of the week so doesn’t really come into it.

All that is based only on the tacho rules and not the WTD.

BIG LEBOWSKI:
I work a 39 hour week. 4 x 8 hours 1 x 7 hours. How many hours would I be allowed to do a weekend?

Well, there are two things to take into account here. I’m going to assume you’ll only be working every other Saturday.

First there’s driver hours regulations, which state you need at least a 36h break each week. You also need at least a 9h daily rest after finishing work on a Friday so assuming you finish at 4pm on Friday and start again at 9am on Monday then you can work any shift that starts after 1am on Saturday and ends before 9pm on a Saturday to get these minumum breaks in. They are reduced breaks which means you need to make up the missing hours (as you’re supposed to have 45h each week and 11h daily rest) but as long as you only work every other weekend then you’ll be making it up the next weekend and staying nicely within the law.

Secondly there’s the Working Time Directive. This states your total working time must only average 48h over a 17week period. If your day job is 37h each week that means you have another 11h of working time each week on average so as long as you only do one shift every other weekend then you can forget about the WTD as you can’t legally do more than a 15h shift anyway and that would still only mean an average of 44.5h at most.

I hope that makes some sense…

Paul

repton:

BIG LEBOWSKI:

Well, there are two things to take into account here. I’m going to assume you’ll only be working every other Saturday.

First there’s driver hours regulations, which state you need at least a 36h break each week. You also need at least a 9h daily rest after finishing work on a Friday so assuming you finish at 4pm on Friday and start again at 9am on Monday then you can work any shift that starts after 1am on Saturday and ends before 9pm on a Saturday to get these minumum breaks in. They are reduced breaks which means you need to make up the missing hours (as you’re supposed to have 45h each week and 11h daily rest) but as long as you only work every other weekend then you’ll be making it up the next weekend and staying nicely within the law.

Secondly there’s the Working Time Directive. This states your total working time must only average 48h over a 17week period. If your day job is 37h each week that means you have another 11h of working time each week on average so as long as you only do one shift every other weekend then you can forget about the WTD as you can’t legally do more than a 15h shift anyway and that would still only mean an average of 44.5h at most.

I hope that makes some sense…

Paul

I came across this Drivers Hours & Tachograph Rules from VOSA.

45 hours reducible to 36 hours if taken at
driver’s base or 24 hours if taken
elsewhere (reductions must be
compensated by an equivalent period of
rest taken before the end of the third
week concerned and attached to a
weekly or daily rest period)

Please explain 24 hour reduction? Could or would it apply to me?

Sound advice Repton ( I think, haven’t worked the hours out myself but sounds about right ).

Best to set a new driver on the straight and narrow and not turn him into the kind of driver most people on here would complain about.

The thing to remember Lebowski, as has already been pointed out here by some drivers, is that when the ■■■ hits the fan it’s no use trying to put your umbrella up as all the blame will lie fairly and squarely on your shoulders and the fact is the authorities are quite prepared to see drivers banged up for quite a considerable time and when you get out you wont have any job and no sane company boss will give you a driving job.