Is this right (hours)

Hi all I work mon/fri tramping I’ve been having some busy Monday’s so I’ve been leaving at 3am doing a 10 hr drive an 13 hour shift is this alright?been trying to find answers but can’t seem to thanks for your replies

Yes a 10 hr drive is fine with a 13 hr shift, you can only do 2 x 10 hr drives in a week (Mon to Sun) don’t forget.

It’s the starting at 3am but I was worried about

And don’t forget you can also reduce your rest periods to 9 hours 3x a week.Therefire allowing you to do 15hr days

Bulldog1986:
It’s the starting at 3am but I was worried about

You might be limited to 10 hrs of work if you have a workforce agreement as you are starting before 04.00 so you might want to find this out.

Legally if you do any work between 00:00 to 04:00 you’re a night worker and restricted to 10 hours working time in a 24 hour period unless you have an opt out agreement in place.

In reality no-ones likely to know whether there’s an opt out agreement in place or not unless things go very badly wrong, it is worth checking though :wink:

What’s the workforce agreement? I’ve spoke to my boss an he sed I can start when ever,is this the thing you can opt out?an by workforce do you mean all the drivers like?

daftvader:
And don’t forget you can also reduce your rest periods to 9 hours 3x a week.Therefire allowing you to do 15hr days

The regulations allow you to have three reduced daily rest periods between weekly rest periods not three a week.

Thanks for wording it properly for me tachograph

Bulldog1986:
What’s the workforce agreement? I’ve spoke to my boss an he sed I can start when ever,is this the thing you can opt out?an by workforce do you mean all the drivers like?

Like i said legally you are suppose to work no more than 10 hrs as you are starting before 04.00 but sometimes companies choose to opt out of this and i believe it needs to be a majority amongst the workers, we opted out but choose to do a max of 12 hrs total duty time instead. Remember it’s 10 hrs of actual work so with poa and breaks you can still bang a long day in.

Bulldog1986:

A workforce agreement is an agreement to opt out of the night time working limit of 10 hours working time.

A workforce agreement has to be agreed by a group of workers, individual drivers can’t have a workforce agreement for the night time working limit.

legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005 … ion/9/made

Right got ya,so all in all this isn’t aloud then?or is it?

Bulldog1986:

Speak to boss man tomorrow if i were you. :wink:

I have he sed do you what you want as long as it gets down but if it’s bent then I don’t want to do it just thought I would ask on here an see what other people had to say

Think there must be a opt out.
Or he wouldn’t start you at 3 in the morning.

As the Bald geezer alludes to, you’ve either got a night worker collective agreement to opt out or you haven’t.

Bulldog1986:

Yes it is ALLOWED.

Perfectly legal. With a opt-out you can do a normal shift. Without an opt-out you can only do a max of 10hrs work if you work at any point between midnight and 3am but only driving and other work count towards that 10hrs, break and PoA don’t so its still possible to legally do a 15hr shift with 5hrs of breaks/poa.