Is this normal?

Passed my Class 2 about a month ago 4 minors and 100% on CPC Practical. I’m currently in the RAF and leaving next year so I’m just looking for some work here and there to build experience around my full time job. I signed on to an agency and was initially looking for 1 full week out with a company to get started. After a week and a half the agency got back to me and told me that every client they had rejected me due to no experience. This isn’t even a small agency its driver hire in Leeds. Is this normal and should I just wait till I leave next year to apply full time, or should I bother trying another agency? Its knocked my confidence but the agency guy did say some of his clients said they would offer me a full time job if I could leave the RAF now.

Do you think you would be ok to turn up at company get in a truck and work for a week with no training, if not that’s why they don’t want you nothing in it for them. Full time makes it worth while.

Just sign up with several agencies, someone will use you when they get short, you aint in a rush so you have nothing to lose and only experience to gain…

It’s a fairy story they’re telling you. They had nothing to offer you, if they’d needed another bum on a seat they’d have rung you. Get used to the agency speak and don’t let them knock your confidence mate. Sign up at a couple more and crack on with the job.
Good luck

Where abouts are you looking for work? What area of Leeds and how far will you travel?

Cheers everyone they have looked as far as huddersfield i no that much but i think its just a timing thing. Im willing to travel anywhere in north or west yorkshire and i said id do any shift so ill probs contact another agency.

Do you have ginger hair JW? It is well known that carrots are discriminated against in the trucking world.

Its ever since that TNT driver got trapped against his truck. Forkie didn’t see him.

Join up with hughes Recruitment in wakefield mate. They got me work in January when it’s hardest to get agency work and I’d only just passed.

keep on trying and it will work out for you, just be patient.

Left RAF Nov 14, signed up with Driver Hire Bedford 2 years before for adhoc work at weekends and leave. infrequent placements as i could only commit to a day here and there. During my last 2 years i completed as many courses as i could through resettlement, ADR, Class 1, HIAB, PCV, CPC.

Put my CV on line and got lots of phonecalls from recruitment agencys etc offering work and have moved from placement to placement, ranging from 1 - 6 months. Been offered lots of temp to perm but not found the right job for me yet, i have faith its out there.

Most Companies live ex military for some reason, possibly because we are used to ##lls#it. Best thing to do is ring local companies and explain that you are leaving the military and you are looking to gain experience. Be honest and they will appreciate that. I clipped a few mirrors and lights when i started, still do but dont try and hide things thats when you get stuck.

There is plenty of work out there but you need to look for it as it doesn’t come to you.

Good Luck

Dazza1980:
Join up with hughes Recruitment in wakefield mate. They got me work in January when it’s hardest to get agency work and I’d only just passed.

Cheers booked an interview on Friday. I hadn’t seen these guys before but they sound good over the phone.

Manpower in wakefield is also advise they got me a full time job

you can sign with as many agencies as you like, it’s a numbers game.

Find out what agencies run out of Stobart’s on the Tesco contract at Goole/Doncaster. Sign on with them, you’ll definitely get work there. Also they have evening/weekend work which will fit around your RAF commitment and let you build up some hours…unless, as the beaver quite rightly points out, you’re ginger…in which case I think ISIS are taking on in Raqqa, mostly european work though I’ve heard!!

Good luck mate.