Is this new/true?

The Italians tried this several years ago and caught a lot of gullible drivers.

Imagine the scenario, a nicely liveried fridge which now needs, a red 60 km roundel because you are coming through Belgium, you need a black and white 60, 80 & 90 roundel for France, you are going to nip off through Germany to get the train to Italy because the fridge is marked as too wide where you then need a different red and white 60 & 70 km roundel.

Where are you gonna stick them all?

The vehicle must be legal in its own country of registration or in the case of the UK in its operators country of registration, so If I pull a French trailer from the ferries, it must be legal for France.

An EU-registered vehicle must satisfy the legal roadworthiness requirements of its country of registration to be legal to drive elsewhere in the EU.

welshboyinspain:

Betz:

KW:
You see the 60/70/90 roundels on the back of all French trucks and trailers,this is a French requirement,not an EU one,as usual the Gendarmes make it up as they go along.

Italian trucks also have to have 60/80 stickers.

Belgian rules dictate that trucks and trailers have a 60 sticker on the back,but I think it’s minimum speed :wink:

^ +1 agree with Keith also Italian and Romanian trucks with trailers must have side reflectives strip on

I’ve seen a notice in a spanish curtain repairers that the reflective stripes are now a EU requirement on new trailers and after a certain date in the future will become a retrofit requirement on older trailers

Yes the reflective strips are an EU thing with quite strict guidelines for quality and thickness

Where can I get the 48.28 the 64.37 the 80.47 and the 96.56 kph stickers from then? :unamused:

I’ve often wondered: what purpose do these 60/70/80 etc stickers serve anyway??

one of our drivers got fined so now we have to cover the 90 when carrying haz, the french are such sad people.

hotel magnum:
one of our drivers got fined so now we have to cover the 90 when carrying haz, the french are such sad people.

It’s usual to put the 90 sticker on the back of your haz plate.
No haz on, plate’s rear and 90 showing. Haz on, plate front showing and 90 sticker is out of sight.

My boss said he had a notification from the RHA regarding these speed stickers, he got some from E.A.F web site and at the weekend stuck them on my Truck and Trailer, when i had a look at them this morning they are not the round one’s i have always seen ,but oval ones 12cmx8cm , so quite small, Are they ok ? I think not but what do i know :smiley:, I defo think they are wrong and he has only put 80 and 90 on , perhaps he want me not to do the slower speed of 70 :smiley:

Barcelona_Karl:
My boss said he had a notification from the RHA regarding these speed stickers, he got some from E.A.F web site and at the weekend stuck them on my Truck and Trailer, when i had a look at them this morning they are not the round one’s i have always seen ,but oval ones 12cmx8cm , so quite small, Are they ok ? I think not but what do i know :smiley:, I defo think they are wrong and he has only put 80 and 90 on , perhaps he want me not to do the slower speed of 70 :smiley:

Nah, if it was that he’d have stuck a 100 on too, so you can put yer foot down :sunglasses: :laughing:

In July I’m driving across France, Germany to Czech Republic in a 7.5t . Do you think I need to put a 90 sticker on the back to be on the safe side?

Will56:
In July I’m driving across France, Germany to Czech Republic in a 7.5t . Do you think I need to put a 90 sticker on the back to be on the safe side?

These speed sticker things are country specific, with different specifications on size, size of numbers, thickness or even requirement of red band around the outside, etc. If your vehicle meets all of the general EU specifications, has all the required equipment and meets all the UK requirements, then it is legal in the whole of the EU.
If you would feel happier with a set of speed stickers across the back, put them on. Strictly speaking you don’t need them, they are not required under UK law. You can argue this case with the Policeman who stops you. But they’ll only accept an argument in their own language usually.

Don’t forget, France expects you to supply your own breathaliser, which must meet French specifications. This becomes law in July I think.

Thanks Simon; I think for the sake of a few quid I’ll put a set on - better than possibly getting landed with a few hundred euro fine. As you say, it’s difficult to argue with police abroad; my experience of gendarmes especially is that they are not necessarily up to speed with their own rules and regs let alone those from another EU country. I’d forgotten about the breathalyser thing too; must pick one up.

Will56:
Thanks Simon; I think for the sake of a few quid I’ll put a set on - better than possibly getting landed with a few hundred euro fine. As you say, it’s difficult to argue with police abroad; my experience of gendarmes especially is that they are not necessarily up to speed with their own rules and regs let alone those from another EU country. I’d forgotten about the breathalyser thing too; must pick two up.

FTFY :smiley:
(If you are pulled and have to use one, you can’t then produce an unused breathalyser unless you have two. They aint daft these Frogs :smiling_imp: )

ashford truckstop are now selling the french approved breathaliser kits

■■■■■123:
ashford truckstop are now selling the french approved breathaliser kits

how much are they there :question: :question: :question: :question: i think they are a fiver for 2 on the boat.

The supermarkets are selling the ‘ethylotest’ down here in the south, probably the same story up in Calais, 1€60 each.

~ Craig

didnt see the price just a poster advertising them sorry will be in ashford wednesday so will have a look