Is This Legal

Start duty drive 2 hours then have a 15 minute break, drive another 2.5 hours, then have a 30 minute break, then drive for 4.5 hours end duty

Yep

Yes perfectly legal. Look the drivers hours rules up via Google.

SHYTOT:
Start duty drive 2 hours then have a 15 minute break, drive another 2.5 hours, then have a 30 minute break, then drive for 4.5 hours end duty

Why do you think it isn’t?

SHYTOT:

You have just described a legal split 45 driving time break of 15 + 30

Mandatory breaks

You may take the 45 minute break in 2 sections. The first section must be at least 15 minutes and the second section at least 30 minutes. You cannot have these breaks the other way around. If you take anything less than 45 minutes then you must take a second break of at least 30 minutes.

You must have at least 15 minutes of continuous break in order for it to count as a break. Anything less will be recorded as other work.

The Daily Drive Rule

You may drive up to 9 hours in a day. You can increase this 9 hours to 10 hours up to twice in a fixed week.

The Weekly Drive Rule

You can drive up to 56 hours in a fixed week. You can accumulate this drive over no more than 6 consecutive duties within a fixed week.

The Fortnightly Drive Rule

You can drive no more than 90 hours within 2 consecutive weeks. This is any 2 weeks together, and the rolling total must not exceed 90 hours.

I know its legal but a driver questioned it stating that he would be driving 6.5 hours with only a 30 minute break
so i thought i would ask the more qualified people of this world

Quotes straight from VOSA:-

“After a driving period of no more than 4.5 hours, a driver must immediately take a break of at least 45 minutes unless he takes a rest period”

So a daily rest/weekly rest period qualifies (sensibly?! Why wouldn’t it?) as a replacement for a 45 after driving 4.5 hours.
Also:-

“A driver ‘wipes the slate clean’ if he takes a 45-minute break (or qualifying breaks totalling 45 minutes before or at the end of a 4.5-hour driving period. This means that the next 4.5-hour driving period begins with the completion of that qualifying break, and in assessing break requirements for the new 4.5-hour period, no reference is to be made to driving time accumulated before this point.”

In essence you’re not driving for 6.5 hours with only 30 mins rest. You’re driving a total of 4.5 hours first, with a legal split of breaks adding up to 45 min within that first 4.5 hours driving. The clock resets upon completion of that 45 min split break. Then you’re driving another 4.5 hours. After which instead of a 45 min rest you’re now taking a daily rest.

SHYTOT:
I know its legal but a driver questioned it stating that he would be driving 6.5 hours with only a 30 minute break

Other driver might have been thinking of some very old rules where, if I remember correctly, there had to be X amount of break in any period of X amount

These days you could drive for 1 minute - take a 15 break - driver for 4hrs + 29 mins - take a 30 min break - then drive for 4.5 hours

ROG:

SHYTOT:
I know its legal but a driver questioned it stating that he would be driving 6.5 hours with only a 30 minute break so i thought i would ask the more qualified people of this world

Other driver might have been thinking of some very old rules where, if I remember correctly, there had to be X amount of break in any period of X amount These days you could drive for 1 minute - take a 15 break - driver for 4hrs + 29 mins - take a 30 min break - then drive for 4.5 hours

yes rog :sunglasses: back in the day drive five :laughing: 30 min break 4.25 hours :smiley: 15 then home for 4.30 hours! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: fifteen break 8.55 hours drive = NOT TIRED! :wink:

ROG:
Other driver might have been thinking of some very old rules where, if I remember correctly, there had to be X amount of break in any period of X amount

Yes, prior to 1993, see this page from 1988 about R v Mayfield Chicks.

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … ghts-courl

The case eventually went all the way to the European Court, where it was decided that completion of a split 45 minute break wiped the slate clean.

I remember a time you could drive 10 mins then have 30 mins break then drive 4 hrs and 20 mins and then after another 15 min break you could drive another 4 and a half hours. All legal.

SHYTOT:

If the last drive was exactly 4½ hours driving the driver would have to either finish work immediately or have another 45 minute break.

He couldn’t legally do even 5 minutes work booking out without having a break first, crazy isn’t it :unamused:

Not legal.

Driving 4.5 hrs with only a 15min break.

Just being pedantic… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Can’t see anything wrong there.

Ok, I got it wrong…

I see this dcpc is working ,does anybody ever listen ,no wonder they have brought this ■■■■■ in :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

ROG:

SHYTOT:

These days you could drive for 1 minute - take a 15 break - driver for 4hrs + 29 mins - take a 30 min break - then drive for 4.5 hours

This is exactly what i do on the night trunk when need be.

LeedsChris:

ROG:

SHYTOT:

This is exactly what i do on the night trunk when need be.

Me too, virtually every night. Card in, drop the day driver’s trailer, drive to my trailer, hook up and do my checks on “other work” then put it on break for a 15.

tachograph:
He couldn’t legally do even 5 minutes work booking out without having a break first, crazy isn’t it :unamused:

Why? As long as he doesn’t drive he’s ok!