Is this legal?

Hi there first post for me.

Was looking for some advice on whether or not the following question is legal.

I work every monday to Friday normal hours are half 7 to half 4.

Is it ok to work every Saturday as long as every second one I finish at half 10 to be able to start at half 7 again on Monday?

fife-newbie:
Hi there first post for me.

Was looking for some advice on whether or not the following question is legal.

I work every monday to Friday normal hours are half 7 to half 4.

Is it ok to work every Saturday as long as every second one I finish at half 10 to be able to start at half 7 again on Monday?

It depends on what hours you want to work on the other Saturdays, you have a 15 hour daily rest period every day so you could reduce the weekly rest period by no more than 6 hours every second week.

If I’ve got the maths right, you would have to be finished by 16:30 on Saturday which would give you a reduced weekly rest period of 39 hours, leaving 6 hours to pay back.

As you have a daily rest period of 15 hours, one days rest period would count as a reduced daily rest period plus 6 hours compensation for the reduced weekly rest period.

So yes you could work every Saturday, you could start no earlier than 01:30 and must be finished no later than 16:30 every second Saturday.

edit: Welcome to Trucknet-UK by the way :wink:

edit 2: Corrected a couple of typos.

Hi thanks for the reply. I thought this was right but an older driver said that it can’t be done. The other Saturday is normally about 12 ish just depends when work is finished.

EDIT Tachograph beat me to it. Was going to say…

The pertinent bits for you are that you need to start a weekly rest period by 0730 on Sunday (6 X 24 hours after your working week started)

In any two consecutive weeks you need either two full 45 hour weekly rest periods or one 45 and one reduced of at least 24.

If you mean every other week finish at 1030 AM then you get 45 every other week. At first this seems fine, the complication being that any hours stolen from the previous weeks reduced weekly rest need to be paid back in one block by attaching them to a daily or weekly rest period. So it actually depends how many hours you intend to work on the ‘longer’ saturdays and how many hours you end up having to pay back.

EDIT agree with tachograph’s maths, I just lost the will to work it out!

Sorry mate I got the sums wrong in my post, I’ve edited the post to show that you would have to be finished by 16:30 every second Saturday, not 10:30 as I originally said.

Cheers guys

fife-newbie:
Hi thanks for the reply. I thought this was right but an older driver said that it can’t be done. The other Saturday is normally about 12 ish just depends when work is finished.

To be fair on the face of it you wouldn’t think it could be done, it’s not until you actually work it out that it starts to be a realistic option.

Sorry about the appallingly bad calculation I did, I don’t know if you saw it but I said that you would have to be finished by 10:30 Saturday on the weeks that you had a reduced weekly rest period :blush:

When I re-read it I realised what a jerk I’d been and changed it to 16:30 :laughing: :wink:

No worries. We don’t do that every week of the year just when times are busy.