is this legal?

i seen a old erf pulling a fairground attraction behind it with a caravan attached to the rear of the trailer, but then another caravann attatched to that

your views on this ?

Yes, there are special rules for showmen.

i have known of a truck+ trailer + caravan= showman hitch or something

but i seen 1 towning 2 caravans behind the trailer thats all ?

they have special rules, basically it says the police can’t do anything with them so they can do as they like so long as they drive slowly.

Cynic-al:
they have special rules, basically it says the police can’t do anything with them so they can do as they like so long as they drive slowly.

incorrect, they are still governed by the length laws

a few years ago, a showmans “vehicle” was stopped on a motorway for driving too slowly, the police who stopped the vehicle looked at the overall length and then measured it, they had to remove one of the trailers and get someone else to collect it as it was overlength by about 3 feet.

Our Fauns and Unipower are registered as a road locomotive and immune from many rules and regs.

i thought it was 2 trailers only

This seems to be the correct rule for Showmans Vehicles

-motor vehicle + 1 drawbar trailer 2 - 18.75 metres
-showman’s motor vehicle + 1 drawbar trailer where the trailer is living accommodation - 22 metres
-motor vehicle + 2 trailers - 25.9 metres (motor vehicle 9.2 metres max, only one trailer may exceed 7 metres),
-motor vehicle + 3 trailers - 25.9 metres (motor vehicle 9.2 metres max, no trailer may exceed 7 metres),

So in the last case you could have a 9.2m truck pulling 3 x 7m trailers add up to a train 30.2 metres long. (nearly 100 feet in old money)