Is this Legal ?

I’ve seen some terrible pay, however this is a new low!

AFAIK that’s the minimum wage; and presumably it’s driving up to 3.5 tonne not HGV.

In that area, it’s a job. Simple as that.

mjallby:

Exceeds National Minimum Wage, but not for long!!

"From Thursday 1 October 2015, the adult rate of the National Minimum Wage (NMW) will rise by 20 pence from £6.50 to £6.70 per hour, as recommended by the Low Pay Commission (LPC) in March 2015 this year.

The government has rejected the LPC’s recommendation for the apprentice rate. The new apprenticeship rate will be set at £3.30 and represents a rise of 57 pence, the largest ever increase in the National Minimum Wage for apprentices. By implementing a rate higher than the LPC’s recommendation, the government intends that apprenticeships will deliver a wage that is comparable to other choices for work.

Business Secretary Vince Cable is also planning to launch the National Minimum Wage Accelerator - an online tool which will make it easier to compare rates of pay across regions, sectors and occupations. It will take data from the annual survey of hours and earnings and display information about pay so that people are able to compare wages with others in their sector and region

From 1 October 2015:
•the adult rate will increase by 20 pence to £6.70 per hour
•the rate for 18 to 20 year olds will increase by 17 pence to £5.30 per hour
•the rate for 16 to 17 year olds will increase by 8 pence to £3.87 per hour
•the apprentice rate will increase by 57 pence to £3.30 per hour
•the accommodation offset increases from the current £5.08 to £5.35

This is the largest real-terms increase in the National Minimum Wage since 2007, and more than 1.4 million of Britain’s lowest-paid workers are set to benefit."

gov.uk/government/news/new- … -announced

I’ve seen production jobs where you have to achieve targets, working rotating 12 hour shifts, four on and four off, including weekends and nights, at a flat rate of £6.50 hour. I have also seen HGV driving jobs advertised at a paltry £7.00 hour, although I’d be surprised if they had any long term takers, judging by how often they keep advertising.

I always equate poor pay, to how much a company values its employees, or indeed expects them to live.

“Do you have a passion for delivering excellent customer service”

Oh yes, oh yes that’s one of my passions. Along with collecting first editions and violin fiddling. Passion? Ha ha. They expect everyone to be a mini sliver hero manager these days. Quite funny they put that in for £6.60 an hour. Should read “do you have a passion for being recruited by a patronising HR department”

Just put “driver required. Vacancy requires a good standard of interpersonal skills in addition to a clean driving record. Basic wage on offer for a basic person”

mjallby:

As an ex Argos driver, at a guess I would say its delivering direct from the store in a transit type van,and nothing to do with Argos normal Home Delivery Service from their RDCs Usually its store collection goods, when the customer finds their purchase wont fit in their car along with their other shopping and kids.