Is this company safe?

Hi, just received a call from hgvtrainingcentre.co.uk to setup a course for £1400. I’m wondering if this is a reputable company to go with?

hgvtrainingcentre.co.uk/hgv-training

Welcome to the HGV Driver Training Centre’s training section. We have access to the very best quality & value HGV training throughout the UK.

To me THAT IS A BROKER not a training school

Easy way to find out - insist you go and meet the instructors and see the vehicles before you part with any money - if the answer is no then it is definitely not a training school

ROG:
HGV Training Courses | HGV TrainingCentre.co.uk

Welcome to the HGV Driver Training Centre’s training section. We have access to the very best quality & value HGV training throughout the UK.

To me THAT IS A BROKER not a training school

Easy way to find out - insist you go and meet the instructors and see the vehicles before you part with any money - if the answer is no then it is definitely not a training school

What is the difference between the 2, broker and training school? I just paid £2.2k for a course. Should I cancel?

A broker is a sales office - full stop. It has no instructors, no training centres, no trucks, no nothing except sales staff. They will take your money and then pass your training to a trainer who will receive payment minus the broker’s cut.

You have no control over choice of trainer or location.

It is always best advice to book direct with a trainer of your choice.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:
A broker is a sales office - full stop. It has no instructors, no training centres, no trucks, no nothing except sales staff. They will take your money and then pass your training to a trainer who will receive payment minus the broker’s cut.

You have no control over choice of trainer or location.

It is always best advice to book direct with a trainer of your choice.

Thank you for the info!
Would you recommend I cancel this course and go directly through a local trainer?

Definitely, if you can. Book only once you’ve visited the school and satisfied yourself you’re happy.

Alternatively, book with the forum sponsor - Peter Smythe Transport Training - which has an excellent reputation with zero negative reviews. 10% discount and free accommodation if you’re more than 70 miles from the training centre NG17 3FW.

You’ll find the list of NVDIR Approved Schools at www.lgvregister.org.uk

Hope this helps, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:
Definitely, if you can. Book only once you’ve visited the school and satisfied yourself you’re happy.

Alternatively, book with the forum sponsor - Peter Smythe Transport Training - which has an excellent reputation with zero negative reviews. 10% discount and free accommodation if you’re more than 70 miles from the training centre NG17 3FW.

You’ll find the list of NVDIR Approved Schools at lgvregister.org.uk

Hope this helps, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Thank you very much for the info.

Trying to call the company to cancel now but they’re not answering … typical

Look at their “Trust Pilot” reviews, linked from their own site.
Either glowing 5* or rating 1* with serious complaints. Nothing inbetween.
The 5* ones mention how staff are helpful on phone etc. But no mention I can see of vehicles, instructors, facilities etc.
One reviewer says he had to find his own driving school.
Can’t see any reviews that say they have actually passed their LGV test? Quite a few reviews saying online theory courses good.

Any address for them apart from an office in Fleet?

From their site:
.“Request & book training dates & test to best suit the customer’s/trainee’s availability.”
That doesn’t actually say they will provide training themselves, does it?
If they are requesting dates themselves, that must be through some 3rd party provider?

Franglais:
Look at their “Trust Pilot” reviews, linked from their own site.
Either glowing 5* or rating 1* with serious complaints. Nothing inbetween.
The 5* ones mention how staff are helpful on phone etc. But no mention I can see of vehicles, instructors, facilities etc.
One reviewer says he had to find his own driving school.
Can’t see any reviews that say they have actually passed their LGV test? Quite a few reviews saying online theory courses good.

Any address for them apart from an office in Fleet?

From their site:
.“Request & book training dates & test to best suit the customer’s/trainee’s availability.”
That doesn’t actually say they will provide training themselves, does it?
If they are requesting dates themselves, that must be through some 3rd party provider?

Yeah, had a look through reviews and website and knew straight away that I was going to need to cancel. Have give them a call and they’ve provided me with an email address. I’ve now emailed so just waiting until refund is processed. As soon as it’s processed, I’ll look for a local hgv driving school, which bring me on to my next question…

Does anyone recommend a hgv training company local to redditch / worcestershire :slight_smile:

Did you pay by CREDIT card :question:

ROG:

Paid by Debit. However, there website T&C’s state I’m eligible for a full refund if requested within 14 days

Cwoody:

ROG:

Paid by Debit. However, there website T&C’s state I’m eligible for a full refund if requested within 14 days

Sounds good but do not be surprised if it takes ages to get back

Make sure you have a paper trail such as email so that it is clear you applied for the refund within the time limit

Screen shot the website page that gives the refund info
Screen shot the online bank page that shows the payment to them

All this is just in the very rare case you have to sue

ROG:

Cwoody:

ROG:

Sounds good but do not be surprised if it takes ages to get back

Make sure you have a paper trail such as email so that it is clear you applied for the refund within the time limit

Screen shot the website page that gives the refund info
Screen shot the online bank page that shows the payment to them

All this is just in the very rare case you have to sue

Awesome thanks for the advice. I’ve now taken screenshots of the payment on my statement, the T&C’s and have an email thread.

Will keep ya posted how I get on. :smiley:

Pleased you’ve found you can cancel.

Remember the option of a residential course with Peter Smythe, the forum sponsor. Ask for opinions on here and you wont be disappointed.

Refunds (more accurately “chargebacks” to use their language) via a credit card are not as cut and dried as is generally believed:

I recently had occasion to call my credit card people: because the payment had already been processed, and I had received email confirmation of my purchase, and because the vendor had not yet failed to deliver on the purchase, I was told “there’s nothing we can do…”

Cwoody:
Does anyone recommend a hgv training company local to redditch / worcestershire :slight_smile:

I will be using phil brown in droitwich when i eventually get my license back from dvla not trained with them yet so cant comment on how good they are

Quick update, received my refund today!

PHEW :exclamation:

Cwoody:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Cwoody:

Nice one. Get it rebooked directly with a driving school. I would have booked mine with Pete Smythe but as my employer is funding my Class 2 training I can’t be picky. I’m happy with my choice though.

bugger.lugs:

Cwoody:

Nice one. Get it rebooked directly with a driving school. I would have booked mine with Pete Smythe but as my employer is funding my Class 2 training I can’t be picky. I’m happy with my choice though.

Cheers :smiley:

I was looking at pete smythe but it’s almost 80 mile away so not too sure. Looking at a few local school at the mo