Is this britains answer to driver shortage [MERGED]

So this is how there going to solve britains driver shortage,
dailymail.co.uk/news/article … -here.html

It’s the Daily Mail, it’s a slanted view. Ignore every second word in the article, then go back and ignore the other words.

Nothing new about bussing drivers in from far away. When I was on Agency in the 90s they were paying drivers accommodation and TX to come down to the Midlands from Scotland .

I struggle to take anything from the cauldron of hate and political agendas that is the Daily Outrage seriously, but an article which refers to a Class A HGV license hardly fills me with confidence as to the reliability of its other ‘facts’.

Totally agree coffee.

Santa:
Nothing new about bussing drivers in from far away. When I was on Agency in the 90s they were paying drivers accommodation and TX to come down to the Midlands from Scotland .

Pretty much describes my first driving job. 3 weeks working in Wolverhampton and 1 week off at home in Glasgow. Travel expenses paid for by company. Quite a few ‘jocks’ worked there cos they couldn’t get drivers.

Its been common practice for years to poach drivers from other areas, especially around rugby. I was offered one of these schemes to work in Swindon and knocked it back. If I wanted to work down there I would have stayed down there. In reality you would have to work max hours for a few weeks then take a week off (presumably unpaid) instead of plodding along doing similar work at home and ending up with the same monthly wage anyway. It would need to be at least 50% more than local rates to make it worth your while considering all the upheaval and self sacrifice involved. Bugger that!

I heard a couple of years or so ago, the government where paying companies so much per person, like a subsidy, to employ foreign workers.

bonnie lass:
I heard a couple of years or so ago, the government where paying companies so much per person, like a subsidy, to employ foreign workers.

£100 per week per person at lambert brothers in Eastleigh. That was what I heard at the time which was 12 years ago and I am not able to substantiate the claim but it did irritate the drivers that heard about it

Been going on for years, go into a lot of big agencies they have a presence in Eastern Europe, web site or small office to get workers to come here do agency work. Have Polish speaking staff etc…

Even the other way round in the 90’s when i worked in computer factories, in Ayrshire the agencies werewanting us to go work in Holland or Southern Ireland

scanny77:

bonnie lass:

£100 per week per person at lambert brothers in Eastleigh. That was what I heard at the time which was 12 years ago and I am not able to substantiate the claim but it did irritate the drivers that heard about it

The company tried to keep it quiet from the rest of the employees, only it did leak out, & caused a lot of bad feeling mainly due to the fact that there were local people desperately needing jobs, & these at the time were seemingly taking on foreigners instead .

Here’s the problem

Oppositely, in Eastern European countries, the average wage is around £7,000 - meaning workers can earn almost double that in the UK, even on a minimum wage.

Greedy bosses paying peanuts. Trouble is they often get worse than monkeys. Almost all of our bridge strikes are foreign agency drivers.

Couple that up with the cost of getting trained up, the 2 year experience catch 22 and the state paying people to sit on their arse and watch Jeremy Kyle and you get the problems we’re seeing right now.

Quotes from the attachment

In places like Romania, Bulgaria and Poland, the standard of living is far lower and wages are lower, and they can come over here to work == Cheap Labour.

it also means they are quite flexible and want to work as many hours as they can.== Cheap Labour.

Oppositely, in Eastern European countries, the average wage is around £7,000 - meaning workers can earn almost double that in the UK, even on a minimum wage.== This just proves my point= Cheap labour.

They would also have their wages topped up with tax credits - seen as a major attraction for EU migrants - and housing benefit. = Need I say any more==Slave labour

Ms Jameson said one of the deterrents is the £2,000 outlay that is needed to get a lorry-driving licence. She said many still struggle to get jobs after that, because they are newly qualified drivers and do not have any experience.== Still hard to think this is still going on, in any other job they bring you in and mind you for a week or two, why cant they just start a new driver and put him with someone for two weeks with min outlay and if ok give him a start.

Read The attachment its a joke.

Employment agency Mainline is offering the incentive to any worker who refers a qualified Class A HGV driver to undertake work for four weeks.

Class A HGV driver?

I like it. It’s about time we had a proper classification for agency muppet.

Contraflow:
Class A HGV driver?

:lol::lol::lol:

Coffeeholic:
It’s the Daily Mail, it’s a slanted view. Ignore every second word in the article, then go back and ignore the other words.

+1, press have neigh got a zb clue:grin:

gazza1970:
So this is how there going to solve britains driver shortage

My local shop shelves are well stacked, there’s break & milk in my fridge, I’m still paying the same price for my goods, everything I order online is delivered in a timely manner, nobody rings or emails me offering work-THERE IS NO DRIVER SHORTAGE, THERE HASNT BEEN & NEVER WILL BE ONE…:exclamation::!::!:

Contraflow:

Employment agency Mainline is offering the incentive to any worker who refers a qualified Class A HGV driver to undertake work for four weeks.

Class A HGV driver?

Wouldn’t that be Class AM HGV driver :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Contraflow:

Class A HGV driver?

Thought the name started with C and ended with R?

Come on chief, spill the beans. Who broke your heart? Which lass, - OR lad? Did the dirty? Only reason I can think you break your normal balanced spread of humour to become so fixed recently on agency drivers like only a stung soul could reveal :smiley:

One of them left a half eaten pear in my passenger footwell.

Barsterds

In the USA the biggest private employer is Walmart, now not only is Walmart the biggest in the USA it’s also the biggest private employer in the world, yes the world. Now way over half of the people who work for them is on state payments as well as there wages like food stamps and what have you and the state puts up with this and lets Walmart get away with paying buttons to do the work, Now this is one if not the biggest company in the world making billons of profit and the state support’s this. I think maybe we call this here some think like zero hours or no contract. So when you go for interview they ask you what your state payments are and they work the job around it so the state pays most of your wages. Is this the next road for Tesco and other big uk company’s