Is this bad in your opinion?

Been offered an interview for a job class 1 general haulage nights out if/when required.
£8 per hour
£12 overtime rate
£25 night out.
Would you go for it?

Base rate doesn’t look to clever, but the rest seems ok. When does overtime kick in? If it’s 10 hrs or less then go for it, if it’s 12 or 13 then walk away

Its not great but as said it depends on a few things.

Where in the country you are, some areas thats a better deal than others.
Paid straight through or breaks deducted…if a second break required will that also be deducted.
Overtime rate from when?, should be 8.45 hours if breaks deducted.
Overtime calculated on a daily or weekly basis?
Saturdays if wanted/required @ time and a half, Sundays if wanted/required at double time?

If its paid straight through, overtime from maximum 8.45 hours calculated on a daily basis, then it isn’t too bad a package to run with till something good comes along.

£8.00 per hour isn’t ‘good’ by any standard.

It’s 80p an hour more than minimum wage…makes it worth while spending £1000s getting a licence don’t it.

Doesn’t sound too brilliant especially as most of the money is based on the overtime. Around here, I’ve seen two companies recently who offered £8 - £8.50 base and £11 - £11.50 overtime after 8 hours, but that was for 7.5T and class 2 jobs respectively. The latter also offered £25 for nights out.

This might be a regional thing (East Midlands) but just remember that you can only do so much overtime in a two week period, so whatever promises they make about 60 hour weeks, it’s going to average lower (queue argument about whether promising 60 hour weeks is a good thing or slavery :slight_smile: ).

xichrisxi:
It’s 80p an hour more than minimum wage…makes it worth while spending £1000s getting a licence don’t it.

And 51p less than I get class 2 also £12.76ot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get £8.50 an hour, o/t rate of £12.75 after 8 hours daily. No nights out, agency, less than 2 mile commute.
7.5t.
Think you can probably guess my opinion.

You can’t base it on overtime rates ect,you have to think about when it’s quiet and your scraping 40hrs a week and taking home a pittance…overtime should be seen as a bonus and not an addition make up your salary.

It depends on the work.Bearing in mind class 1 general haulage nights out can mean anything from mostly full load distance work with a curtain sider to part load multi drop building steel etc type delivery work with a flat in central London.

While class 2 can be anything from distance bulk deliveries to local multi drop.Generally the easier/better the work can make a lower wage look more attractive. :bulb:

If it was the only job on a desert island with one shop selling bog rolls, milk and a loaf for a penny id snap their arm off. If it was a job on a street between two hauliers paying 40k pa for 30 hour weeks light graft, I’d pass on.

Again, if you paid me that to be a ■■■■■ tester at a Swedish fanny farm I’d snap your other arm off. If it were that money for a shoe shiner at a sewerage perhaps not.

Tis all relative to your world and your real options and needs me old son.

At that them rates it would depend on how desperate you are,I know I would have to be

As has been said, depends where you are and what your experience is.

i pay my van drivers 8.59 p.h., so to me it doesn’t look good ( and they get a hotel to kip in)

Carryfast:
It depends on the work.Bearing in mind class 1 general haulage nights out can mean anything from mostly full load distance work with a curtain sider to part load multi drop building steel etc type delivery work with a flat in central London.

While class 2 can be anything from distance bulk deliveries to local multi drop.Generally the easier/better the work can make a lower wage look more attractive. :bulb:

Even a simple question as this, and already adequately answered, sees you wadding in with a long string of loosely connected words that you Google on Wikipedia, to make you look clever.
You are not.

I think the hourly rate needs changing for the o/ t rate to make it acceptable

dozy:
I think the hourly rate needs changing for the o/ t rate to make it acceptable

What was your hourly rate not so long ago pal?

Employers pay what they have to, or want to based on the quality of driver they expect to attract!
As already said, wages vary region by region and while the rates are not great, it’s still a wage that gives the OP an income while looking for something better.

Baldy91:
Been offered an interview for a job class 1 general haulage nights out if/when required.
£8 per hour
£12 overtime rate
£25 night out.
Would you go for it?

Just ask yourself is it right for you.

Look at the big picture but also look at the quiet weeks where youl be lucky to earn more than £300.

If it suits you then go for it.

For me and I’m a cab happy count it would have to be tramping box jockey work, decent kit, no load interaction, easy life etc.

But if jobs are hard to come by in your area why not have a bash, it’s always easier to find another job when you already have one.

The world’s your lobster.

£10 per hour basic no less!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk