Is this a tax scam

So I’ve had loads of correspondence from tax people saying I owe them tax ( not large amounts ) & have spoke to them about this on various occasions , so today I get a txt
Hmrc we have been made aware that you have not yet claimed your tax
refund , claim now at https/hm- Rev x9r21/ self com /Hh=2
It looks official or link does , but seeing as upto 2 weeks ago I owed the tax man money & there asking for personal details & card details it strikes me as dodgy
So has anyone else had this txt saying you’ve not claimed a tax refund , ta
Nb I’m must say the tax office don’t seem the brightest sparks in the box as after telling me I owe them money & giving me a new tax code for the hundredth time ( it never changes on payslip ) they then tax me £7 for the week ( I had a month off unpaid ( or had been paid prev ) so maybe there getting as confused as I am

Never follow a link where money is involved no matter how genuine it might look unless your a bit Dozy

Anything legit from HMRC would be in the form of a letter, not a text message.

What mikeshe says Dozy it is a scam .anything official would have uk.gov in the link cheers Ray

Dozy, the tax man will write to you personally via snail mail, unless its a few thousand owed, then you will get on knock on your front £ucking door.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

HMRC do send out reminders via SMS to pay self assessment when it gets to January but they never send out anything with a link in it. The same with emails, you’ll get nothing with a link in it from HMRC.

The scam phonecall recorded message pretending to be HMRC is a good one, ‘‘if you dont pay you will be arrested’’ :smiley: I had it 3 years ago, i am still waiting for the knock.

If you send me your:

Bank Sort Code
Account number
Long 16 digit Card number + Security code on the back
Date of Birth
Mothers maiden name
Memorable word
Address
national insurance number

I’ll have a look into it for you mate, i’ll make sure its not a scam for you… :smiley: :grimacing:

Its a scam mate, delete and forget.

It’s 100%…

Genuine!

You should give them the details they require (to speed things up and get your rebate even quicker, give them your credit card details and PIN too).

You an also pay your TV licence fee to the account named as well so send them a separate payment for black and white or if you have colour, the appropriate amount for that.

Whilst you’re at it, if you smell gas in your home the best way to find the leak is use a cigarette lighter with all the windows and doors closed. Change the exhaust on your car and save hundreds, by doing it on the car jack that lives in the boot of your Vauxhall Dullard or what ever you drive.

Always cook chicken for 2 minutes on a low heat.

mikeshe:

And even then phone them back on their known contact helpline and confirm the letter and its content.
Anything else is a scam.

Dozy, if you get a scam email , check who sent it where it says sender , it will be a scam if it is sent from someone like this ; speedy.recovery or whatever phoney address they use .
I block my scam emails using a public computer in the library by clicking on phishing to warn others then click on the block button. ( By blocking it, they may change their email addresses numerous times ) But continue to block them .
For your fraudulent text messages, never click on their links and report it to the fraud department on the internet of which they won’t do much .

yourhavingalarf:
Always cook chicken for 2 minutes on a low heat.

I have it on good authority from a trusted Nigerian or could be Ukrainian or somewhere else source conveniently sent by e mail that 1 minute is enough 2 minutes is likely to over cook it.

dozy:
So I’ve had loads of correspondence from tax people saying I owe them tax ( not large amounts ) & have spoke to them about this on various occasions , so today I get a txt
Hmrc we have been made aware that you have not yet claimed your tax
refund , claim now at https/hm- Rev x9r21/ self com /Hh=2
It looks official

Uncleskid:
Never follow a link where money is involved no matter how genuine it might look unless your a bit Dozy

Oh hang on… he is Dozy

FYI if you have the HMRC app on your phone tax refunds can be claimed almost instantaneously with the money paid into the bank far quicker than you will when using phone or snail mail

Ta , didn’t think it was right , after tax office said I owed them money

Carryfast:

mikeshe:

And even then phone them back on their known contact helpline and confirm the letter and its content.
Anything else is a scam.

This is the number + 44 7908 402250

dozy:

Carryfast:

mikeshe:

Anything else is a scam.

A mobile number to contact HMRC ?

If you pay 60 pence and use a BT phone box , I guarantee that number is a dud and won’t ring .

dozy:

Carryfast:

mikeshe:

Anything else is a scam.

Go on Dozy, ring it up, looks like an old school dirty phone line… You can ring later from your Layby,when your parked up curtains round

dozy:

Dont tell us that youve been checking your wife`s phone to find out who has been round for a steak dinner recently