Is this a good wage?

Hi I have just been offered a job which is a mixture of tramping and days its 5 on 2off.

£9.80ph for the first 40 hours, £13.03 after 40 hours at the interview they said they pay from what ever time you start on a Monday morning to midnight and then the following days 4am to midnight. no night out or meal allowance. They said it works out between £35 and 40k per year.

To me it looks better than what I am currently on which is 6on 3off £102 per weekday and £8.50 after 10 hours and £118 per weekend day and £11.15 after 10hours plus £2 meal allowance per day worked.

There will Be a ■■■ packet accountant along shortly, who will, say weather it’s worthwhile or not.

I don’t get what you mean when you say they pay me from when I start to midnight that could be 18 hrs or more a day .

Also what area are you from ?

Approx 70hrs for £35-£40K isnt good. Thats how im reading it. Isnt the £2 meal allowance classed as a mid day meal?
Forgive my errors if im wrong, ive lost touch with UK’s HMRC…

You’re asking in the wrong place because it’s not 100k a year for a six hour shift so will never be good enough.

As for the job does the money sound good enough to you? That’s what matters.

5 on 2 off?

Is that mon-fri?

They’re gonna pay you 80 hours for days 2-5…plus whatever you work Monday?

Do what you think is right for you.

In my view if they say a day rate it generally means they are gonna max you. It’s in their psyche to earn as much as they can. If you fancy the job go for it. If it turns out you are being mugged then don’t hang about and look for something else.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

£913 for tue-fri…already in the bank
Do another 15 on Monday for eleven and a half hundred green queens.

Happy days :laughing:

All these firms are constantly trying to have drivers over with day rates and b.s contracts involving meal allowances and bonuses .What is wrong with a Basic hourly rate, then time plus a third or half after 38 hours ,like most hourly paid jobs …

Try it if it’s another snidey con just leave them.

But the maths don’t stack up

He’s guaranteed 47.5k even if he never works a Monday.

How does that work out at 35-40k?

Beetlejuice:
All these firms are constantly trying to have drivers over with day rates and b.s contracts involving meal allowances and bonuses .What is wrong with a Basic hourly rate, then time plus a third or half after 38 hours ,like most hourly paid jobs …

Try it if it’s another snidey con just leave them.

^
this
Just the basic hourly rate would make it plain and clear how much theyre not paying you…

Alliepallie4:
Hi I have just been offered a job which is a mixture of tramping and days its 5 on 2off.

£9.80ph for the first 40 hours, £13.03 after 40 hours at the interview they said they pay from what ever time you start on a Monday morning to midnight and then the following days 4am to midnight. no night out or meal allowance. They said it works out between £35 and 40k per year.

To me it looks better than what I am currently on which is 6on 3off £102 per weekday and £8.50 after 10 hours and £118 per weekend day and £11.15 after 10hours plus £2 meal allowance per day worked.

Assuming you start at 06:00 on a Monday and the rest of the week is 04:00 - 23:59 that’s 98 hours a week and going by the hourly rates you’ve given it’s roughly £1147 a week or £4590 a month or £55000 a year. I think I’d ask them to break it down and explain in better detail.

I’ve looked at it again and I think you’ve got a little confused with the timings, your start times are anything FROM 04:00 to 23:59 not your shift will be 20 hours long.
Going by those rates and maxing your hours and he pays your breaks 71 hours is £795.93pw, or £3183.72pm or £38,204.64pa.

£795.93 gross
£114.95 tax
£76.62 NI
£604.36 nett

:wink:

Alliepallie4:

So many questions.

5 on 2 off - how many weekend days in those 5? I would start on the premise that the last in will be getting the unattractive shifts so as a new boy you should expect to be working every weekend.

Base hourly rate - nothing that special but not the worse. Premium rate - better that straight through (about 1 1/3 y my reckoning) but, as per base rate, at the lower end before the multiplier is applied. What hours are they paying? Tacho hours, attended hours or working hours. You could attend for over 70 hours work for 50 and there is a £260 a week difference with 20 x £13ish

Start finish times - looks to me that they don’t have a night hour agreement in place and therefore don’t want you working between midnight and 4am. Why? My suspicion would be because they don’t want you limited to 10 working hours a day. Why? Because the chances are you will be maxed out on a regular basis.

No night out allowance - If you are tramping this is the biggest alarm bell for me. Are they expecting you take runs planned as day runs or away over night on occasions? If the latter then you should expect some recompense for the additional costs you will incur by being away, washing of bedding/ getting a shower being the obvious ones. If they don’t pay night outs what about parking/breaks/POA? if these are not paid it is looking less attractive.

The choice is yours but it does not look like all the questions I would ask have been answered.

Just re read it again after the previous post. If they aren’t paying nights out run for the hills. It shows the contempt they hold for their drivers. I refused to work for a company for only paying £20 night out. If they can’t afford at least £25 a night to sleep in a pi$$ ridden layby they aren’t worth working for.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

toonsy:
does the money sound good enough to you? That’s what matters.

+1
Its all that matters.

I keep going back and looking at the original post, I worked out a maxed hours weekly wage, which I think will be more often than not, but with no actual start or finish times you could well be doing 5 shifts over 6 days and running in on a Saturday.
There’s no night out allowance, which is tax free and can be written off by the employer using a P11D from HMRC, the £2 a day meal allowance is an embarrassment you could get a happy meal if you’re lucky.

I can’t make nor tail of it, but if the present job is crap no harm in having a go, you can always bugger off if it turns out pants.
Two things though,
is it the type of place, type of person who would pay you up properly if you left after a month?
remember by having no night out pay you get taxed on every penny over and above the normal allowance.