IS this 40 or 50 for HGV?

Driving on A5 west bound hinckley to tamworth at redgate on DUAL carriageway i was flashed yet i was doing 40 ish mph!!

bloomin scameras!

They have actually remarked the road to make it single carriageway just by the scamera.

As I’ve understood it up to now, the northbound one in the pic should be 50mph but the southbound one is just past the dual bit and is 40mph. Forget the signage but it’s either NSL or 50 def not 40 limit thru there.

However I always hedge my bets and drop to 40 for both…

Had this debate before and I said it was more than likely a 40 camera.
Others say you can do 50 through it.
Seems you can’t.

been along that stretch quite a bit as i used to do work out of atherstone.
Ive always done 50 down that bit, as its quite obvious a dual carriageway (lookup definition of dual carriageway, it doesnt mean more than one lane each way, as most people think it does. Bit Off Topic but the A51 through Rugeley on the Lichfield side of the Arches, all the way up to the new roundabout more or less is actually dual carriageway)

So if the limit is posted at 50 as it is on that stretch, then should be no problem, and will be challengable if they did decide to try and prosecute.

edit: heres link to wikipedia section on Dual Carriageways :slight_smile:

CLICKY HERE

All traffic going one way, traffic going the other way has a solid divider in the way. It’s a dual carriageway.

I remember being asked a similar question by my hgv driving instructor when I passed my test about a lane being coned off on a dual carriageway and is it still a dual carriageway and he said yes it is.

I would say that the above is a dual carriageway in both directions so 50 is the limit.

as I understand it
if its signed nat speed limit then 50
if its signed 50 then its 40

The Police in Cheshire have managed to prosecute truck drivers for doing over 40mph on the A556 between the M6 at J19 and the M56 where they say because there is no physical central restriction on the 2 lanes in each direction road then it is not a Dual Carriageway, therefore presumably because in this instance there is a restriction then surely it “Must” be a Dual Carriageway and it follows that the speed for an LGV would be 50mph.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

definatley was 50 last time i went northbound passed the camera
cos it is a dual carriageway and signed for 50

this is by the Redgate pub well known accident blackspot

approaching from Atherstone the camera is there for all the 50 merchants on single carriageway (A5 / A444)

are you sure you were flashed
have you been NIPed
what time what does tacho say

jc69817:
as I understand it

:question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

It’s a dual carriageway so unless it’s signed as less it’s a 50.

Those who are saying it’s a 40 perhaps don’t understand what a dual carriageway actually is. It is nothing to do with the number of lanes in each direction, to be a dual carriageway the two directions of traffic must be separated by a physical barrier.

So it’s perfectly possible to have a 40mph single carriageway with 3 lanes in each direction just the same as it’s possible to have a 50mph dual carriageway with only one lane in each direction.

Paul

jc69817:
as I understand it

Where on earth did you get that from?!? There’s nothing I know of in the law to say truckers have to start doing maths on speed limits to work out how fast they’re allowed to go!

The rules are simple: single carriageway 40mph, dual carriageway (as in this example) 50mph. Unless it’s signed lower, in which case the lower limit applies.

Paul

I would have thought it’s straightforward enough.
An unrestricted dual carriageway has a limit of 50 for HGV’s,UNLESS A LOWER LIMIT IS POSTED!

I’m sure ROG will be along soon quoting parts of the highway code :wink: :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

But unless another speed is posted then i would assume it’s 50 mph for trucks as well. I have been down the A5 a few times but were exactly is this camera? cant see it on google. :question:

andy187:

Driving on A5 west bound hinckley to tamworth at redgate on DUAL carriageway i was flashed yet i was doing 40 ish mph!!

bloomin scameras!

Unless a lower limit is posted then THIS IS 50 for LGVs

A dual carriageway is defined by what seperates the opposing flows of traffic.

Paint or plastic cones do not count as the road being seperated.

This clearly has a physical barrier between traffic flows so it is a dual.

Well Done ROG you beat me to it, believe it or not I find myself explaining this to Driving Instructors, Come on guys you are professional drivers, Another question could be how many of you own an undated 2007 Highway Code?
Maybe we should start an educational theory quiz just for fun.

miketdt:
Well Done ROG you beat me to it, believe it or not I find myself explaining this to Driving Instructors, Come on guys you are professional drivers, Another question could be how many of you own an undated 2007 Highway Code?

HE HE HE :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I like that keyboard slip

miketdt:
Another question could be how many of you own an … 2007 Highway Code?

I’ve got 4 of them :exclamation: :exclamation: - 3 are in the trainee observer packs though :wink:

miketdt:

Ok,

Q1 -
A 2 lane dual carriageway get contraflowed onto one side so there is now 1 lane each way seperated by those cones they fit into the cats-eye slots.

The posted speed limit is 50mph.

What is the speed limit for LGVs :question:

Q2 -
LGV on a slip road intending to join a motorway with a police traffic car a few cars behind.

Traffic in lane one will not let the LGV join the motorway (you lot know what I mean :wink: ) and the end of the slip road is nearing.

The hard shoulder is clear & has no rubbish on it.

Should the LGV stop at the end of the slip road or continue onto the hard shoulder :question:

Q3 -
Road works are forcing 2 lanes of traffic into 1 lane, the offside lane.

All the traffic is queueing in the offside lane and no-one is using the nearside lane.

Should you drive your LGV in the nearside lane and then merge at the point where it is coned off :question:

Q4 -
Road works are forcing 2 lanes of traffic into 1 lane, the nearside lane.

All the traffic is queueing in the nearside lane and no-one is using the offside lane.

Should you drive your LGV in the offside lane and then merge at the point where it is coned off :question:

Q5 -
Traffic lights control traffic at a crossroad box junction & there are no LGV restrictions in any direction

The road ahead remains clear at all times

The road to the right of a box junction has standing traffic but there is enough room for an artic to join behind without causing a problem

An artic sits in the middle of a box junction waiting to turn right and is only prevented from turning by the oncoming traffic.

4 of the approaching cars turn left and fill up the space that the artic was going to use.

The right turn is now blocked and the lights are changing for the left & right traffic to proceed but the artic is now preventing them from doing so.

What should the artic driver do now :question:

BigNathy from
This Link
:
Apparently the contravention IS NOT stopping on a box - it’s ENTERING WHEN YOUR EXIT IS BLOCKED :sunglasses:. So if you enter a box and one lane is clear on exit but you choose not to take it or you pull up short for whatever reason NO CONTRAVENTION HAS OCCURRED!