Is there still a driver shortage?

Hi all

I’ve been loitering around here for a couple of years but only just got round to registering.

In short - I’m struggling with the jobs market atm. I passed my car to class 1 a few weeks ago but am really struggling to find any roles out there. I mean, obviously I wasn’t expecting to walk into a role straight from the test centre but I guess I did think the “crippling driver shortage” that everyone is constantly talking about would play in my favour and justify me sinking my life savings into getting my licence!

But… yeah. I’m beginning to despair a little at the state of the jobs market. There seems to be jobs out there but 99% plus wont touch you unless you have 6-12 months experience (I wont get into the paradox of that as its probably be done to death!). Nonetheless I have applied for literally everything that is even slightly plausible! If it just says 6 months experience preferred - then I’m going for it! I’m going for even the grimmest of jobs - even stuff requiring a 100 mile commute for questionable money to try and get a foothold in the industry.

I’ve sent my CV off to every haulage company within about 120 miles of my house, I’ve followed up with emails and often phone calls.

I’ve applied on every job portal there is - today I checked and I’ve applied for 76 jobs in the last month. And I’m applying for everything - Class 1 / Class 2 / deliveroo (well maybe not quite that far but you get my point!)

What is worrying me though is three specific things:

1. I would happily go through Agency if I could to just get 6 months under my belt - but they dont seem to have anything, or if they do they only want 6 months+ “for insurance”. A couple of Agency’s actually told me to get lost and come back when I’ve got some experience and didnt even want to register me which shocked me considering many on here say “well you can always try Agency if you’re struggling” which suggested to me theres always jobs out there. But not ATM.
  2. Nobody is getting back to me - even after repeated attempts - or even acknowledging me. I’m not getting any feedback from hauliers or job applications or even Agencies or anything. I’m 40 years old, and I’ve found myself job hunting from time to time but I’ve never had an experience quite like this where I feel like I’m just throwing stuff in a black hole with zero feedback (not even rejections). Even the big hauliers arent really returning correspondence. Which leads me to my third point.
  3. On a few of the bigger job sites, I can see how many applications are made for certain posts. On the (literally two or three) that will consider new drivers (which I’ve obviously applied for) - I can see that there are 2/3/400 applications which is fairly disheartening.

All the above makes me feel like there is a big supply-demand issue - it feels to me that, rather than being a driver shortage, the jobs market is absolutely saturated with drivers and my dream job seems as impossible as it did before I started.

Anyway I’m probably feeling sorry for myself so apologies. Can someone tell me I’m totally wrong about all this. I’m stuck in a job I really hate and would hate to have to come to terms with the fact I might be stuck in it after all. Any insight or advice gratefully received! I’m not a moaner or poster by nature but after the high of passing my test the last couple of weeks have felt like a bit of a gut punch.

Most depots don’t take on new drivers in January.

Many agency drivers sit at home with no work for the first six weeks of the New Year.

In the second half of February each year, the experienced agency drivers start getting offered shifts again.

In June each year when some of the experienced drivers start to take their summer holidays the agencies start to run short of drivers. However, you might get lucky after Easter.

Make a list of all the agencies in your area. Perhaps use google maps to find them. Search “hgv agencies near (insert big town)”

In June, phone all the agencies in your area making notes. Ask them if any of their clients take on new drivers. Most of the agencies won’t have any clients that will take on new drivers, but if you live in an area of high demand for drivers you might get lucky.

Apply to logistics companies in your area that take on new drivers using their website.

Look regularly on job websites such as indeed and totaljobs.

Why not identify the area you are in for possible suggestions about where to try?

Unfortunately it would probably be a 1-2 year plan to get some experience doing any kind of driving and then working your way up to class 1 if that is what you want.

Other than this, perhaps getting lucky with a local general haulage firm willing to take you under its wing kind of thing.

Straight to class 1 drivers can do class 1, but it requires probably 2-3 weeks (or more) of being accompanied. It would be expensive for a company to pay you and the trainer and only have one truck running for all those wages.

pass ce.png
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

Noremac:
Why not identify the area you are in for possible suggestions about where to try?

Yes, sorry I’m in Staffordshire (just outside Stafford)

carlston49:
Most depots don’t take on new drivers in January.

Many agency drivers sit at home with no work for the first six weeks of the New Year.

In the second half of February each year, the experienced agency drivers start getting offered shifts again.

In June each year when some of the experienced drivers start to take their summer holidays the agencies start to run short of drivers. However, you might get lucky after Easter.

Make a list of all the agencies in your area. Perhaps use google maps to find them. Search “hgv agencies near (insert big town)”

In June, phone all the agencies in your area making notes. Ask them if any of their clients take on new drivers. Most of the agencies won’t have any clients that will take on new drivers, but if you live in an area of high demand for drivers you might get lucky.

Apply to logistics companies in your area that take on new drivers using their website.

Look regularly on job websites such as indeed and totaljobs.

Thx for the reply. So, from what you’re saying you think its unlikely I’ll have much luck before June? Ok so I’m guessing there isn’t a driver shortage after all. If this is the state of the jobs market I might have to rethink things.

Welcome to the forum.

I’d say you’ve done the hardest bit and passed the test. You now have your licence, so be proud of that.

I passed my Class 1 this time last year (almost to the day) and whilst I was only tentatively looking for one Sunday a fortnight to try to get some experience, I thought I may be waiting some time before I’d get another chance to drive a lorry. I used Indeed only, and fired off my applications to a few places, and by the end of February I had an assessment with an agency based at a supermarket RDC. I managed to pass that even though my reversing skills were very basic at the time (they’re still not great) and have had fairly consistent work when I’ve wanted it ever since.

As expected it went quiet for a short period since Christmas but they are requesting agency drivers again now, so fingers crossed the work is picking up again.

Things may be slightly different this year, but I’d be confident that you’ll get at least a driving assessment before March. Then once you’re in, you’re in and you can build up the experience whilst being paid for it.

UrbanKayak:
Thx for the reply. So, from what you’re saying you think its unlikely I’ll have much luck before June? Ok so I’m guessing there isn’t a driver shortage after all. If this is the state of the jobs market I might have to rethink things.

There’s a driver’s mate agency job at DHL Nisa Stoke.

That could be useful to work with another driver and get used to correctly using the tacho if he lets you push the buttons, while you’re waiting for your big break.

Driver’s Mate - DHL Nisa Stoke

adrnetwork.co.uk/jobs/job-d … 000PTNdQAO

UrbanKayak:
Hi all

I’ve been loitering around here for a couple of years but only just got round to registering.

In short - I’m struggling with the jobs market atm. I passed my car to class 1 a few weeks ago but am really struggling to find any roles out there. I mean, obviously I wasn’t expecting to walk into a role straight from the test centre but I guess I did think the “crippling driver shortage” that everyone is constantly talking about would play in my favour and justify me sinking my life savings into getting my licence!

But… yeah. I’m beginning to despair a little at the state of the jobs market. There seems to be jobs out there but 99% plus wont touch you unless you have 6-12 months experience (I wont get into the paradox of that as its probably be done to death!). Nonetheless I have applied for literally everything that is even slightly plausible! If it just says 6 months experience preferred - then I’m going for it! I’m going for even the grimmest of jobs - even stuff requiring a 100 mile commute for questionable money to try and get a foothold in the industry.

I’ve sent my CV off to every haulage company within about 120 miles of my house, I’ve followed up with emails and often phone calls.

I’ve applied on every job portal there is - today I checked and I’ve applied for 76 jobs in the last month. And I’m applying for everything - Class 1 / Class 2 / deliveroo (well maybe not quite that far but you get my point!)

What is worrying me though is three specific things:

1. I would happily go through Agency if I could to just get 6 months under my belt - but they dont seem to have anything, or if they do they only want 6 months+ “for insurance”. A couple of Agency’s actually told me to get lost and come back when I’ve got some experience and didnt even want to register me which shocked me considering many on here say “well you can always try Agency if you’re struggling” which suggested to me theres always jobs out there. But not ATM.
  2. Nobody is getting back to me - even after repeated attempts - or even acknowledging me. I’m not getting any feedback from hauliers or job applications or even Agencies or anything. I’m 40 years old, and I’ve found myself job hunting from time to time but I’ve never had an experience quite like this where I feel like I’m just throwing stuff in a black hole with zero feedback (not even rejections). Even the big hauliers arent really returning correspondence. Which leads me to my third point.
  3. On a few of the bigger job sites, I can see how many applications are made for certain posts. On the (literally two or three) that will consider new drivers (which I’ve obviously applied for) - I can see that there are 2/3/400 applications which is fairly disheartening.

All the above makes me feel like there is a big supply-demand issue - it feels to me that, rather than being a driver shortage, the jobs market is absolutely saturated with drivers and my dream job seems as impossible as it did before I started.

Anyway I’m probably feeling sorry for myself so apologies. Can someone tell me I’m totally wrong about all this. I’m stuck in a job I really hate and would hate to have to come to terms with the fact I might be stuck in it after all. Any insight or advice gratefully received! I’m not a moaner or poster by nature but after the high of passing my test the last couple of weeks have felt like a bit of a gut punch.

NO! Never has been, never will be.

The company I work for are based in Newport South Wales.
We have several drivers who do a long commute to work.
If you’re tramping it’s only one commute a week.
One of the latest recruits is from Birmingham. He runs down on a Sunday afternoon and runs out and is out all week. He then goes home on Friday evening.
We have several drivers who do the same from distance.
I was taken on as a brand new pass and they’ve taken on several more new passes since.
Really good people to work for as well.

Driver’s Mate - DHL Nisa Stoke

adrnetwork.co.uk/jobs/job-d … 000PTNdQAO
[/quote]
Thanks I’ll have a look

Noremac:

Straight to class 1 drivers can do class 1, but it requires probably 2-3 weeks (or more) of being accompanied. It would be expensive for a company to pay you and the trainer and only have one truck running for all those wages.

Where you live is important but it is not too difficult to get a ‘new pass’ job WITH the right company. You need to do some homework. My firm WILL NOT put anyone through Class 1… not even the workshop staff who do need to test on the road. YET for a new pass they provide one month’s supervised driving which includes a week’s reversing training, 2 weeks local jobs and a week of more demanding challenging tasks.

I must say that most in the industry are helpful to new pass - they remember only too well how stressful their first month was. Have you visited a company and asked if you could do some reversing practice in the yard for practice without pay. Do well you might find they offer you a job.

jessejazza:

Noremac:
I must say that most in the industry are helpful to new pass - they remember only too well how stressful their first month was. Have you visited a company and asked if you could do some reversing practice in the yard for practice without pay. Do well you might find they offer you a job.

Thanks - funnily enough the event that tipped me from “surprised” to “worried” was almost exactly that. There’s a well regarded haulage firm really near me that has a great reputation and actually prides itself on taking on new starters. Went to speak to them, filled in an application and then… nothing. Popped back in to try and see them and got brushed off (didn’t get through the door). I’m a polite enough chap so doubt I offended anyone. Followed up with an email but never got a reply. They must just be full I guess.

Ach, I’m probably worrying about nothing. Everyone is telling me it’s quiet atm I need to stop feeling sorry for myself and just crack on! I’m not taking any of this personally at least, it’s all just been a bit of a surprise.

Im in your area, same problem, I work for a big yellow company at the moment doing 7.5 T home delivery for a big blue company.

Its not class 1, but im getting used to moving large vehicles (its a 33ft demountable body truck), tacho rules, working times, planning routes, breaks, and weekly rest periods etc.

Im with an agency, as the big yellow company couldnt give me part time work, but theyre desperate for drivers here.

TruckingTechnician:
Im in your area, same problem, I work for a big yellow company at the moment doing 7.5 T home delivery for a big blue company.

Its not class 1, but im getting used to moving large vehicles (its a 33ft demountable body truck), tacho rules, working times, planning routes, breaks, and weekly rest periods etc.

Im with an agency, as the big yellow company couldnt give me part time work, but theyre desperate for drivers here.

Places like that, where the deliveries are 2 man, are a good place to start for new drivers. The company can pair you with a more experienced driver while you learn the ropes.

Those demountables are quite large 7.5 tonne vehicles by all accounts, so putting those through all sorts of residential streets is excellent experience.

UrbanKayak:
the “crippling driver shortage” that everyone is constantly talking about

Like who/where/when? Last I heard about a ‘‘driver shortage’’ was the fuel tanker driver ‘‘shortage’’ about 14 months ago when the army was ‘‘on standby’’ ready to step in with their truck drivers to help out. Granted I don’t follow the news day to day but I’m amazed this false narrative is still being pushed around (if)

If you’re struggling for money I’d suggest taking a van driver job with a company that also has their own trucks. It’s not much but it’s a foot in the door

Assuming you have tried already but David Watson, Hawkins and Stan Robinson are after drivers and I don’t believe they are the best paying companies so must take from the new pass pond more often.

mrginge:
Assuming you have tried already but David Watson, Hawkins and Stan Robinson are after drivers and I don’t believe they are the best paying companies so must take from the new pass pond more often.

I tried all of those, and Watson wouldn’t take new pass, SR never responded and neither did Hawkins.

For the Area, at the moment, Culina wont take new pass, Stobarts in Cannock will, but dont have much. WS in wombourne will, but nothing avaiable. Ed Weetmans never got back, as did K transport, Nckolls, R Davies, NS Clarke, Edwards didnt respond twice.

That said, Im after part time, which doesnt help. Give some of these a bell and see how you get on.

theres also Simmonds in telford, Dale Brothers amd Maidens.

TruckingTechnician:

mrginge:

I tried all of those, and Watson wouldn’t take new pass, SR never responded and neither did Hawkins.

For the Area, at the moment, Culina wont take new pass, Stobarts in Cannock will, but dont have much. WS in wombourne will, but nothing avaiable. Ed Weetmans never got back, as did K transport, Nckolls, R Davies, NS Clarke, Edwards didnt respond twice.

That said, Im after part time, which doesnt help. Give some of these a bell and see how you get on.

theres also Simmonds in telford, Dale Brothers amd Maidens.

Thanks pal. Yeah I’ve tried all those, had the exact same experience as you. None of them returned emails and very few returned calls (although did have a good chat with Guy at Edwards). Rang Stan Robinson and they were nice but definitely weren’t interested.

Checked before I came on here - up to 130 job applications (not including all the speculative phone calls and cv emails as above). Agencies still arent interested.

No interveiws yet, no assessment offers yet…

Your CV may scream ‘no commercial experience’. Your best bet may be a local haulage firm willing to take you under its wing, but when you have a job, you may encounter prejudice along the lines of asking why you don’t just continue what you are doing. If you had nothing else, you may encounter more sympathy.

I do sympathise with your situation, because you have self-funded based on the outlook portrayed in the media of a good demand and a reasonable wage. The reality at the moment is that volumes are down due to the cost of living crisis, so naturally those with some commercial experience are nearer the top of the pecking order.