Is there ANYTHING good about being a truck driver?

Going through my class 2 training at the mo and reading posts on here makes me wonder if i have ballsed up. Anybody with anything good to say about the industry wether it be firms/agencies, wages or just that they love it would be appreciated :frowning:

Women in the summer

Not looking at the same 4 walls every day and getting to see parts of England I wouldn’t usually see

thetastytrucker:
Women in the summer

That as well and even better when they’re in a convertible :grimacing:

blue estate:

thetastytrucker:
Women in the summer

That as well and even better when they’re in a convertible :grimacing:

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

In answer to your question , no ■■■■ all sorry

mamil:
Going through my class 2 training at the mo and reading posts on here makes me wonder if i have ballsed up. Anybody with anything good to say about the industry wether it be firms/agencies, wages or just that they love it would be appreciated :frowning:

I love it.

Mainly because I get paid to nap… and the rest of the time all I have to do is drive.

Yes, I love it.

Same as any other job, you get really good days and really bad days put simply

What are you looking for in the job ? What sort of work will you be going for

Just remember people are more likely to complain about some aspect of their job publically than they will tell you everytime they have a good day, so things become a bit biased.

I don’t think any job or very few is a bed of roses (actually many feel like you’re sitting on the thorny bit!), but those who’ve done it for a long time might find the same job fatigue as the rest of us. It ain’t perfect, but based on what I’ve read in total over the past couple of months on these forums, it has plenty of good points too such as quite a bit of freedom, even if it’s escaping from the blinking office.

Agencies are the ■■■■ of ridicule and like in any job type there are plenty of bad ones, but today I’ve read 3 posts from people saying they have no intentions of ever doing non-agency work as it gives variety and flexibility and one person saying they’re god-darned awful. I know people who work for agencies driving and have done for years and they’re really happy too…takes time to find the better ones.

I’m in the same boat as you - spending a lot of money on a terrifying leap of faith, but what I’ve read here gives me the confidence to figure with the right hard work attitude and ability to do some crap jobs as well as good ones, it’s not such a bad life.

If you beleived all you hear… Well let’s just say you would never take a chance on anything.
There will always be people who will say thier job is crap etc and the grass is greener on the other side, you will always get at least one, then others will jump on the band wagon and also say the same. Human nature I’m afraid.
Truth is there ARE good driving jobs out there to be had and I’m sure you will find it rewarding.

mamil:

I guess that all depends on WHY you are getting your HGV license in the first place? If you currently on very low wages, or just want to improve your employment prospects, then it may prove to be a worthwhile investment for you.

As with all ‘trades’ there are some good jobs with good companies paying sensible monies, but there are an equal number of bad jobs with companies that struggle to retain drivers. Sadly it all going to be a learning curve for you, to find out what suits you best.

Ignore the agency ‘vacancies’ you see advertised, as most don’t even exist and are just a name gathering exercise. Instead decide what type of driving you want to do (once passed) and approach those companies directly.

Driving is nice in the summer months, but somewhat less attractive in the winter months, but that applies to most outdoor jobs.

Driving an artic back and to, is a piece of ■■■■. As Contraflow says, half the time you have your head down.

Like stealing candy from a baby.

I’ve just started, been working for a company now for 2 months. I love it. To be honest it’s the same story in every job and every industry. You will get everyone who has been there for years and years telling you the jobs not what it used to be, and you’ve come into the job at the wrong time blah blah blah. But I bet when they started there was people saying the same thing to them. If your new then you know no different. As I say it’s the same in every job that I’ve had experience in, just don’t listen to the negative comments and if you think you’d like the job then give it a go and see for yourself!

There are good days and bad days, good work and bad work, you have to take what you can get at first then as you skill up you find your own niche if you want to.

39 years so far since i took me class 1, been full time since, had some manky jobs but had a lucky break and been at the better end for 25 years +, enjoy taking a pride in me work.
Would i do it again, yes, but i’d do thing slightly differently in all walks of me life.

Would i do it if i was as depressed and hated every second of it like some here seem to, not a bloody chance.

Waltham Abbey. I went in as a truck driver, and came out a MAN

The way I see it is yes there are plenty good things about being a truck driver.You tend to be your own boss and have more freedom than a lot of jobs. I count myself to have been quite lucky mainly finding decent work driving petrol tankers in London and then working for the MOD which were both particularily well paid. Take pride in you work and treat people with respect and you will not go far wrong.
Only downside is now very few have respect for truck drivers. I am sure I do not need to tell you why.

The job is as easy as you make it. Paid to drive from A to B. Couldn’t really be simpler could it?

I wouldn’t do anything else.

mamil:
Going through my class 2 training at the mo and reading posts on here makes me wonder if i have ballsed up.

Yes, you have. You are throwing money down the gutter. You’ll never get it back. Lorry driving is virtually a minimum wage job and you get treated like ■■■■.

You’d earn more being a cabby.