Is there any real HGV jobs left

Recently found myself out of work first time in 9 years and was shocked at the amount of hgv jobs advertised saying full time permanent only to find out it’s an agency.I spent 5 hours today on the internet and didn’t find one decent job other than agency work.I’m based in Colchester Essex so Essex area or Suffolk area is ideal for me and tramping prefered if any fellow truck driver knows of any jobs I’d appreciate your help.

Downtons in Tilbury are after drivers mate.

You’re better off getting in your car and going around the firms in person. Job adverts online, especially on the jobcentre website are almost entirely agency, and if they’re agency there’s a good chance that 5 agencies are advertising the same 1 job, or an even higher chance that 5 agencies are advertising a hypothetical non-existent job, as an example of what you might get, if you join them.

I am going through the same process as a new driver and it is frustrating when the agencies flood the net with adverts… The agencies also do more to distroy good jobs than anyone.

If I were you I would try approaching the haulage companies direct. Draw up a list of all the companies. Try giving them a call and drop them an email with a cv attached. I have been surprised how helpful they have been. You could also dress smartly and spend a couple of days dropping in on then to introduce your self in. Person.

Might be worth looking at rha.uk.net for a list of haulage companies.

I have also found this site helpful: cylex-uk.co.uk put the word haulage in the first search box and the area in the second box and it will list all the haulage companies…

You could also check out the local papers…

Good luck

On totaljobs.com you can filter out the agencies. Doesn’t leave much :frowning:

Honestly, like Thruxton says, the way to do it is research firms within reasonable distance & simply send off CV’s in the post with a covering letter in speculation of positions. I think post works better than email because it provides something physical to potentially get dropped on a relevant desk. I got every job I have had via this method, never advertised jobs. Pitching up in person might work at some smaller family firms, but anywhere with a gatehouse and/or front desk to get past and you tend to get short shrift most of the time.

NEXT at Hemel Hempsted has a sign outseide to employ Drivers. They must have more Depots

If bulk tipping is your thing, pop your nose into Agribulk at Sudbury. Mark Ashdown is the main man. Decent kit and decent money. You’ll get your 4 nights out.

It’ll be interesting in 21st century reality work - to see if anyone at all can leave one full time job, be on the chat for a few weeks, and start a new full time job - totally by-passing agency outright.
Sure, it’s possible to leave one job and go straight into another - for a pay cut.
Personally, I think it’s a case of “get with the programme - or stay out of work”. If you want advancement, you’ll be better off going via agency. If you want regular hours - you’ll just have to bite down on the lower pay, or put up with a spell out of work whilst you find that yard advertising that’ll actually give the job to you, rather than one of the other bods applying.

Many who don’t like agency say they want full time hours, not bits and pieces. These are the agencies that then advertise “jobs” with buzzwords like “Full time, ongoing”.
Just to clarify what that actually meant…

If you DON’T want full time hours though - “He who can destroy a thing - controls a thing.”

By retaining the ability to turn down work you don’t want or need - you are more in power.

How many out there feel that “If you turn down a single job - the phone will stop ringing”?

No one realises they actually need an agency to get a job - until they get desperate enough to go back on all that they argued against the very idea… :bulb:

Dw Clarke and sons ltd at Beckingham business park, Tolleshunt Major near Maldon are after class one and two drivers for local and distance work for day or night shifts.
They are down a long and narrow lane.
Also try Euro Psl at Maldon, ask for Andre Garcia, the MD, he may know of any jobs.

wayne1979:
Recently found myself out of work first time in 9 years and was shocked at the amount of hgv jobs advertised saying full time permanent only to find out it’s an agency.I spent 5 hours today on the internet and didn’t find one decent job other than agency work.I’m based in Colchester Essex so Essex area or Suffolk area is ideal for me and tramping prefered if any fellow truck driver knows of any jobs I’d appreciate your help.

Try Culina at Haverhill there’s a fresh advert for them here… culinacareers.co.uk

Thanks guys great help I have 9 years class 1 experience I left a full time job to do some work with a mate so I could spend time with my new born baby boy but now I want full time again seems harder than I’ve ever remembered.Well just had a phone call whilst writing this got an interview at bookers in Colchester anyone know much of bookers and there hgv 1 rates hope it’s good as it’s 2 minute walk from my house lol the joy of no commuting .

robinhood_1984:
You’re better off getting in your car and going around the firms in person. Job adverts online, especially on the jobcentre website are almost entirely agency, and if they’re agency there’s a good chance that 5 agencies are advertising the same 1 job, or an even higher chance that 5 agencies are advertising a hypothetical non-existent job, as an example of what you might get, if you join them.

this is the best advice by far as a, a lot will use agencies and wont advertise due to costs. b, they will at least tell oyu who they use for drivers and if it is agency get you in via a temp to perm etc.

finally it also looks far better as an employer that you have made an effort ( go in on a monday at 7am ready to work even!).

robinhood_1984:

I’m 37, just passed, and have been in a factory job for 14 years. I’m a bit old school when it comes to job hunting and put my suit on and went around the local hauliers and introduced myself and asked. What I found was that loads were crying out for drivers as it costs them more to use agency drivers. Got my licence last week and start my first driving job on Monday morning.

There are plenty HGV jobs the thing is to find one that suits. It depends on if you want to work for a transport company or a company that uses transport. I tend to find, in general, that the former don’t advertise through agencies whereas the latter do. Take Greggs for instance, they are a company that uses transport & rarely take on drivers direct preferring to go through agency until they’ve had a look at you, after a while, assuming you’re up to their standard, they offer you full time when vacancies appear. On the transport company side you have the likes of Pollock Scotrans, they tend not to use agency, preferring to advertise & take on full time.
We also tend to forget that, whatever you think of agencies, if it wasn’t for companies asking them to find drivers they wouldn’t exist as they do.

wayne1979:
Thanks guys great help I have 9 years class 1 experience I left a full time job to do some work with a mate so I could spend time with my new born baby boy but now I want full time again seems harder than I’ve ever remembered.Well just had a phone call whilst writing this got an interview at bookers in Colchester anyone know much of bookers and there hgv 1 rates hope it’s good as it’s 2 minute walk from my house lol the joy of no commuting .

Hi bookers is all class 2 mate as I work next door. Think it’s about £9.50 an hour from the advert I saw. Good luck

wrong end of the country for you but for anyone else in the Dumfries/Carlisle area

Fedex, (Gretna Hub)
Davidsons (skitterboxes & general)
TP Niven
Curries European (no surprise)

are looking for drivers

Well bookers is a no go wasn’t aware it was rigid and the money wasn’t bad but it was the fact they won’t work you more than 48 hours a week just wouldn’t earn enough there.And gunner I take it you work for alstons they any good are they looking at the moment and is the wages any good.

There are ‘real HGV jobs’ out there, the positions just aren’t vacant and are very unlikely to ever be…#deadmansshoes

Aldi chelmsford their main agencies are Just drivers or Reliance but I know blokes have applied direct to Aldi. Argos at Basildon, Aldi is a ZBing good number.

that’s what annoys me now,for the last 5 years or more all you see is agencies I live in Swindon [please don’t feel sorry for me,lol]have done for two years,go on all the job sites and all you see is agency work,i get regular work with mine so quite happy but if I want to look for a permanent job none exist