Is there any funding for training?

All I know is that DPD will pay for your C+E training, but only if you’re already a Cat C and have been driving on their books (i.e. not agency), for a minimum of 6 months. Not sure why one of their trucks would have L plates on it, could be something that’s done by that depot specifically.

From what I gather talking to drivers in the canteen, it’s not bad work. Night trunk work going into pretty simple warehouses, parcels are removed by warehouse lumpers and the driver buggers off for a bit. I don’t know what the pay is like - but they normally pay pretty decent wages.

Wackattak:
I recently passed my class 2 and 1 funded by the jobcentre. I had to have a job offer to get the funding but if you know any one who can write the letter you can get funded.

Interesting, I’ve been down the jobcentre today & they told me that they don’t do funding for LGV, & you say they funded for your class 1 as well ? Might be worth asking my dad to ask his gaffer then cause they are all artic bulk tippers. Thanks for that mate

Each jobcentre area has their own rules on funding for things

daz1204:

Wackattak:
I recently passed my class 2 and 1 funded by the jobcentre. I had to have a job offer to get the funding but if you know any one who can write the letter you can get funded.

Interesting, I’ve been down the jobcentre today & they told me that they don’t do funding for LGV, & you say they funded for your class 1 as well ? Might be worth asking my dad to ask his gaffer then cause they are all artic bulk tippers. Thanks for that mate

There seems to be a varied opinion from one job centre to another mate regarding funding… not just for this sort of thing but other qualifications as well. If you are still signing on beginning of the new tax year, might be worth asking again as I believe this is when they get their funding amount for the year and it’s down to first come, first served and when it’s gone it’s gone.

Not saying it’ll do the job, but worth a go.

ROG:
Each jobcentre area has their own rules on funding for things

andy_s:

daz1204:

Wackattak:

There seems to be a varied opinion from one job centre to another mate regarding funding… not just for this sort of thing but other qualifications as well. If you are still signing on beginning of the new tax year, might be worth asking again as I believe this is when they get their funding amount for the year and it’s down to first come, first served and when it’s gone it’s gone.

Not saying it’ll do the job, but worth a go.

I’ll still try they can only say no again & yeah it might be worth waiting for the new tax year & there’s charity called Aspire CILT that LGroves84 suggested I have to wait till April to apply to them too

Hi Daz.
As Rog said interest free credit card might be the way to go then you are your own boss as in its up to you where you work your not tied to anyone which if the job goes rat ■■■■ our stuck on crap wages.
There is Central Transport Training on Foxes Lane wolverhampton or Westgate in Aldridge for training,also when you pass there is Sheldon Clayton on the A41 west brom,Culina in bilston Poundland Bilston (do take new passes as its where I work),GP Batteries in willenhall or Sharps Bedrooms in bilston (with a drivers mate).
Hope,this helps

Jeff.

Daytrunker:
Hi Daz.
As Rog said interest free credit card might be the way to go then you are your own boss as in its up to you where you work your not tied to anyone which if the job goes rat [zb] our stuck on crap wages.
There is Central Transport Training on Foxes Lane wolverhampton or Westgate in Aldridge for training,also when you pass there is Sheldon Clayton on the A41 west brom,Culina in bilston Poundland Bilston (do take new passes as its where I work),GP Batteries in willenhall or Sharps Bedrooms in bilston (with a drivers mate).
Hope,this helps

Jeff.

Any help is much appreciated mate, don’t really want to go the credit card route to be honest that will be my last resort. Lol Sheldon Clayton my old man used to drive for them when they were based in rood end & had the old blue strato’s they’ve got a few motors now I’ve been past there a few times. Cheers for that Jeff I’ll definitely keep your advice in mind

daz1204:

Wackattak:

It was something called low value precurement and everything was fully funded. From medical, cpc and tests. My wifes cousin is the Secretary of her dads haulage firm so wrote me a letter confirming full time work on completion. I got a job before my training started and I was still able to keep it.

Wackattak:

daz1204:

Wackattak:

It was something called low value precurement and everything was fully funded. From medical, cpc and tests. My wifes cousin is the Secretary of her dads haulage firm so wrote me a letter confirming full time work on completion. I got a job before my training started and I was still able to keep it.

Cheers again for the info mate I will definitely be looking into that

Hi Guys, haven’t been on for a while due to personnel circumstances. Anyway I now have a letter of a guaranteed job if I get my class 2, took it to the jobcentre & they passed me on to someone else who has funding but I was told that I’m to old its for 29 & under & I’m 44, what a joke, so if your over 30 then your not worth bothering with then. I’m now waiting for the jobcentre to ring me back with another appointment surly if I’ve got a guaranteed job offer someone can help me ?

Like Rog said .2 years interest free card.pay it yourself far less stress messing around waiting for charity to help.

Beetlejuice:
Like Rog said .2 years interest free card.pay it yourself far less stress messing around waiting for charity to help.

If I could afford to pay for myself mate I would’ve by now, everybody’s circumstances are different

I believe that Advisors in the Job Centre have to put each application for funding to a higher level manager for signing as acceptable mate so might be worth asking whoever you see to speak to a Manager - I know a guy who had a letter to say he was guaranteed work if he could get his Telehandler certificate and was told no at first but he persisted and they eventually paid for the training… this was couple of years ago and he hasn’t been out of work since.

Seems to me, it’s common sense to invest what, in the grand scheme of things, is a little money to get someone off the dole and back working for the long term and paying taxes.

I wonder if your cat D is also going against you. With this you already have a “skill”. I am surprised they are letting you sign on with it without arranging interviews for local bus companies because in theory you should be easy to employ and get off their books.

I have read the whole post and understand why you don’t want to do it, I wouldn’t fancy buses either! However job centre doesn’t tend to think about that sort of thing

andy_s:
I believe that Advisors in the Job Centre have to put each application for funding to a higher level manager for signing as acceptable mate so might be worth asking whoever you see to speak to a Manager - I know a guy who had a letter to say he was guaranteed work if he could get his Telehandler certificate and was told no at first but he persisted and they eventually paid for the training… this was couple of years ago and he hasn’t been out of work since.

Seems to me, it’s common sense to invest what, in the grand scheme of things, is a little money to get someone off the dole and back working for the long term and paying taxes.

Totally agree mate I will continue to persist

kcrussell25:
I wonder if your cat D is also going against you. With this you already have a “skill”. I am surprised they are letting you sign on with it without arranging interviews for local bus companies because in theory you should be easy to employ and get off their books.

I have read the whole post and understand why you don’t want to do it, I wouldn’t fancy buses either! However job centre doesn’t tend to think about that sort of thing

My circumstances are somewhat different mate. I’m hoping my cat D will help me as it should be easier for me to obtain my cat C than someone who hasn’t driven a large vehicle before

daz1204:

kcrussell25:

My circumstances are somewhat different mate. I’m hoping my cat D will help me as it should be easier for me to obtain my cat C than someone who hasn’t driven a large vehicle before

I don’t disagree that you should be easier to train compared to someone who has no large vehicle experience.

My point was that I do wonder if you will be viewed as a lower priority for training compared to someone who has no “skills”
With the limited funding available for these things I doubt you will get it unless you are top of the list.

I wish you the best of luck with it

daz1204:
Hi Guys, haven’t been on for a while due to personnel circumstances. Anyway I now have a letter of a guaranteed job if I get my class 2, took it to the jobcentre & they passed me on to someone else who has funding but I was told that I’m to old its for 29 & under & I’m 44, what a joke, so if your over 30 then your not worth bothering with then. I’m now waiting for the jobcentre to ring me back with another appointment surly if I’ve got a guaranteed job offer someone can help me ?

Is there any particular reason you want funding?

I personally got off my arse, did a crap job and saved hard to get my Class 1. But I suppose that’s just me…

eagerbeaver:
Is there any particular reason you want funding?

I personally got off my arse, did a crap job and saved hard to get my Class 1. But I suppose that’s just me…

As I’ve said in a previous post mate everybody’s circumstances are different and if I could afford to save and pay for it myself I would’ve done by now

There is an agency that offers to pay for all your training one you have banked 300 hours of work with them ( To see that your commited to working.) I have just put a post up about it a minute if you want some more info send me a pm. :smiley:

eagerbeaver:

Same, I must be a mug.