Is there a future in haulage

With the state of the the haulage industry.

as drivers things are locking grime for us at the moment not many jobs about agencies not giving much work companies going under. :frowning: :frowning:

is this just the time of the year or is it all over. :exclamation:

6 months ago you could walk in and out of work but as seen on here there is a lot of us looking for work :slight_smile:

will it get better or as the balloon burst :frowning: :frowning:

sorry for the rant :frowning: :frowning:

Of course it will. Not everone is closing down, some companies have loads of work. The question we DONT know the answer to is when the upturn will come.

I think the future could be very good for the firms that can ride out the storm.
And i think the big players will find it very hard to survive because they are the ones that have undercut every sod over the years, But by doing this they are on very tight margins indeed.
So when the big ones begin to crumble and people still want their cornflakes in the morning, The smaller family firms can do the urgent loads, But they will set the rate like they used to.
It’s going to be tough for a lot of us, but it never lasts for long.
In 1991 i wanted for nothing, in 1992 i lost my house.
it happens.

you know that old phrase ‘What goes down must come up’ :laughing: :laughing:

it has just been on the news that they reckon we are now in a recession and it will last until 2010. i guess we will just have to wait and see how much it picks up before xmas. if i remember right last year i had just got my licence for class 2 in november and could have worked 7 days a week in december if i had been able to. i wonder what it will be like this year? will it be any better or is it really as bad as it all seems?

These economic downturns run in cycles and like the early 90’s things will be tough for a while.
But long term and despite what the green lobby and anti truck lobby want, there isn’t really any other realistic way of moving goods than by road.

The legislation will get tougher, the technology will move on, but I can’t see computers being allowed to run 44tonnes without a person being on board. I mean who are they going to blame when it goes wrong :smiley:

if ever theres no future in transport there’s no future! virtually everything used to sustain life goes directly by road or has a need somehow for road transport and that goes for when railways did a lot, 90% of it still had to be hauled some. It’s just the amounts that vary. the early 80’s is the worst i can remember, still even then i was never out of work.

containers seem to be very busy (i hate container work lol) if anyone needs a job try it .haulage is F to many companys going down bloody depressing But i said 12 months ago .seen it all before.
all i know is transport will feel it it more as is the norm.

Borderer:
if ever theres no future in transport there’s no future!

Aint that the truth, the only other option is that we all become a nation of self sustaining farmers with local economys !! And every local economy of self sustaining farmers is below poverty level :confused:

yes there is a future in haulage although it is a very cyclical industry

scania245:
containers seem to be very busy (i hate container work lol) if anyone needs a job try it .haulage is F to many companys going down bloody depressing But i said 12 months ago .seen it all before.
all i know is transport will feel it it more as is the norm.

It certainly isnt out of felixstowe. I pull for a major shipping line and I’m going to do the first job of the week tomorrow. Its dire :cry:

I have heard that two of the larger haulage companies are getting ri of a number of subbies.

Believe me, bleak times are here :frowning:

Been driving HGV for 40 years, so have been through more than one depression/ recession.
But have only had 3 days out of work in all that time.
Not always the best jobs around, but enough to keep food on the table and the kids in shoes.
No point in worrying about what the future holds because there is not much you can do about it :smiley:

With respect Del, you probably don’t have young children now seeing as you have been driving for years, but tell the man who has a mortgage and young family not to worry :confused:

I can see what your saying in fairness, it won’t change anything worrying about it, but its hard not to :frowning:

no were all doomed a say were all doomed in a scotish accent

Too fat to Fly,

hear what you are saying and I have to sympathise with anyone in that position, but worrying will change nothing.
Enjoy what you can , while you can
(especially your kids, for they are not always there)

ARE WE ALL DOOMED?

Probably! But if yr gonna do it, do it in style! Live 4 today and sod tomorrow.

Now for gods sake PULL YR SELF TOGETHER MAN!

We are all in the same boat, so stop moanin, and keep paddling!

limeyphil:
I think the future could be very good for the firms that can ride out the storm.
And i think the big players will find it very hard to survive because they are the ones that have undercut every sod over the years, But by doing this they are on very tight margins indeed.
So when the big ones begin to crumble and people still want their cornflakes in the morning, The smaller family firms can do the urgent loads, But they will set the rate like they used to.
It’s going to be tough for a lot of us, but it never lasts for long.
In 1991 i wanted for nothing, in 1992 i lost my house.
it happens.

Phil’s quote sums it up nicely. However, even keeping overheads to a resonable minimum won’t help if work dry’s up completely. There is some luck going to be needed for this one that’s for sure.

Santa:
Of course it will. Not everone is closing down, some companies have loads of work. The question we DONT know the answer to is when the upturn will come.

Very true. Not all companies are struggling. My lot are opening a new depot in Feb 2009 for instance.

Like people have said previously this country would be buggered without road haulage, so there will always be a need for LGV drivers.

It might feel as though the industry is in a bit of a rut right now but things will improve, even though it’s difficult to predict when this will happen.

MR VAIN:
We are all in the same boat, so stop moanin, and keep paddling!

you on that ferry again■■?

I’ve just heard the future has been cancelled.

PANIC OVER! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: