Is there a driver shortage and will it put up wages

There Is a lot if talk about a driver shortage, articles saying that the average lorry driver is 50 and there about 100,000 drivers short in the country.
I always see signs saying hgv 1-2 wanted a guy I spoke to the other day told me class 1 with experience can earn up to £15 a a hour where as I spoke to another driver just nearly at 2 years experience says he gets £7.42 a hour but does 90 hour week he counts his loading as rest. two other drivers I spoke to do this to is it the normal

If there is a shortage will it be a drivers market to choose there employer and name there price as the demand grows for more drivers.

There is no shortage per say. Loads are getting delivered as they should but this industry is desperate for new blood. Its rare for me to see a driver thats under 30 and most are older than that.

I remember being 21 years old driving an artic for Keedwell, still had acne and looked about 18, did get a few surprised looks but the other drivers loved having some young blood in the company and I got on with other drivers really well, those were the days driving around the UK in my Scania that had done 1.5million kms. In our area there is a driver shortage, companies ring us regularly to ask us to put up job adverts in our waiting room.

I used to get told all the time I looked too young to drive “that big lorry” told a customer once that I was in fact too young but we were short of drivers and I was asked to give it a go…the customer rang my place after I had left to express their disgust at them breaking the law sending under age people out driving their trucks :smiley:
On the driver shortage front,as already stated above its area dependant…seems no such driver shortage in the Midlands especially Stoke on Trent as a lot of places like pot banks ect closed down and I know a few who got free government retraining packages and did their HGV through that.

Digit369:
There Is a lot if talk about a driver shortage, articles saying that the average lorry driver is 50 and there about 100,000 drivers short in the country.
I always see signs saying hgv 1-2 wanted a guy I spoke to the other day told me class 1 with experience can earn up to £15 a a hour where as I spoke to another driver just nearly at 2 years experience says he gets £7.42 a hour but does 90 hour week he counts his loading as rest. two other drivers I spoke to do this to is it the normal

If there is a shortage will it be a drivers market to choose there employer and name there price as the demand grows for more drivers.

Whoever you spoke to about doing 90 hours is lying or he’s gonna get his licence revoked soon and probably a prison sentence. Its illegal under WTD to work more than a 60 hour week. And daily rest periods can only be split to 3 hours and 8 hours in a shift.

You’ll find it near impossible to find a job paying £15 an hour. But its rare you’ll be offered a job under £8 too unless they are flush with drivers in your area.

Phil1979:

Digit369:

Whoever you spoke to about doing 90 hours is lying or he’s gonna get his licence revoked soon and probably a prison sentence. Its illegal under WTD to work more than a 60 hour week. And daily rest periods can only be split to 3 hours and 8 hours in a shift.

You’ll find it near impossible to find a job paying £15 an hour. But its rare you’ll be offered a job under £8 too unless they are flush with drivers in your area.

With waiting and breaks he could do 84 every week as long has he doesn’t work more than 60 or 48 average he’s ok

mac12:

Phil1979:

Digit369:

With waiting and breaks he could do 84 every week as long has he doesn’t work more than 60 or 48 average he’s ok

on my cpc it said no more than 90 hours over two weeks,you may work 56 hours one week but the following week you may only work 34 hours…

dobermann1:
on my cpc it said no more than 90 hours over two weeks,you may work 56 hours one week but the following week you may only work 34 hours…

That’s driving hours not duty hours

mac12:

Phil1979:

Digit369:

He can’t be clocking 8 hours POA every day though? And he certainly can’t do that every week. on a 6 day week (so a max of half the year) he’d have to be doing 16 hour days and be logging ■■■■ loads of POA.

Sorry but he’s talking ■■■■■■■■.

Phil1979:
And daily rest periods can only be split to 3 hours and 8 hours in a shift.

3 hrs and 9 hrs you mean. :wink:

£15 a a hour where as I spoke to another driver just nearly at 2 years experience says he gets £7.42 a hour but does 90 hour week he counts

Both are possible. Take an average and you wont be kidding yourself. That’s around £11. And there’ll still be some lower - - but plenty higher.

There are definite signs of a driver shortage and we, too, have enquiries from employers regularly wanting our new drivers.

The pay has already crept up but I’m the first to say it needs to creep up a lot more!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’d be interested in those employers wanting drivers Pete. Passed recently at your Mansfield Woodhouse centre but wasn’t made aware you had people asking for any drivers? Especially interested in any non agency or Sports Direct vacancies?

A huge local employer is Sports Direct who are happy to take our drivers. But you don’t seem keen on them. Taylors at Huthwaite are a very good bet. It’s worth calling our office to see what opportunities are currently available. Certainly there’s always demand from agencies as well.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pete, u post a lot of good stuff…but…

Taylors - u cannot be serious. This is the work for the truely desperate. Crap (most i was offered borderline legal) trucks, crap work, crap money. I didn’t make it off the yard chose to go home after refusing to drive 3 different trucks decided to leave. Duct tape holding on bodywork, all tyres re-cut and ■■■■■■■■■■■■, cabs full of ■■■ ash and stinking of ■■■■. I could go on.

Suggest anyone thinking about them as an option does a quick search for them on here…

I would drive for any company that is willing to fund my license. Been trying to do it for ages, but something always comes up.

calsdad:
Pete, u post a lot of good stuff…but…

Taylors - u cannot be serious. This is the work for the truely desperate. Crap (most i was offered borderline legal) trucks, crap work, crap money. I didn’t make it off the yard chose to go home after refusing to drive 3 different trucks decided to leave. Duct tape holding on bodywork, all tyres re-cut and ■■■■■■■■■■■■, cabs full of ■■■ ash and stinking of ■■■■. I could go on.

Suggest anyone thinking about them as an option does a quick search for them on here…

From what I’ve heard is the Class 1 stuff isn’t too bad but the rigid work is dire. I got asked by one agency to do some work for them, a quick search on the main forum was all I needed. As a new driver you really need to go with a good company as running around in wagons that are falling to bits is not a good way to start your career. If you are thinking about doing general, give Rase or Cartwrights a try. I’ve done work for Cartwrights, although their Class twos are a bit hit and miss, the guys in the office know what they are doing.

In the west midlands theres defo a shortage im a fairly new pass class 2 and im on 14 ph class 2 cmas rate though normally 9.50 is average around here

Oops… Only saw these posts after dropping off a CV at Taylors this morning… Their trucks look like they’re screaming out for a hose pipe and a polish but obviously I couldn’t see more than that, so thanks for the heads up everyone.

Radar… Where are those two companies based? Id much rather pop my head in than email a CV, gives a better impression I think. Also tried to get into Eurocell but it would’ve been easier to break into Alcatraz so gave up in the end :stuck_out_tongue:

3stepsaheaduk:
In the west midlands theres defo a shortage im a fairly new pass class 2 and im on 14 ph class 2 cmas rate though normally 9.50 is average around here

Where about in the Midlands? I’m living in Wolverhampton and wondering where the work is.

Get a reality check people, i haven’t a clue which Taylors is being mentioned, but there is nothing wrong with recut tyres so long as they are legal, and they will be legal or the company will soon be an ex company, and if something is temporarily repaired its because some numpty who couldn’t drive for toffee damaged the thing in the first place.

If you’re too precious to clean a lorry out (for your own benefit) then it’s entirely possible that lorry driving isn’t really for you, cos without fail you’ll spend the rest of your life cleaning your regular lorry out after another precious/useless chauffer leaves it in a crap state whilst you’re off shift or on holiday…also you’ll spend the first day back getting all the defects done mr precious caused and couldn’t be arsed to fix as well as cleaning it up again, this is as guaranteed as death and taxes.

Learn to walk before you expect to run, when you’ve got several years under your belt you can pick and choose whether you want flash or cash, but when you’re a new driver you take whatever you can get for the experience.