Is POA break?

Just when i think i’m getting to grips with stuff. I read something to flummox me. Break is break, driving is driving and POA is POA. Only thing is POA is actually break? Ok, i know i’m taking a slightly old reference but i wonder if anyone knows if this still actually stands…
Quote from VOSA’s monthly magazine (Moving on) dated 2007.

Finally , it is not strictly an issue brought
about by the introduction of the new rules,
but a decision has been taken by DfT to
construe the first 45 minutes of a period
of availability under the Working Time
Rules as a break under the EU Drivers’
Hours Regulation.

That would explain why i and others say the digitach does not compute POA correctly. Has/was this brought in the make void the digitach’s deficiency. And , is it still in effect?

Before the GURUs on this get here I am going to have an uneducated go at this -

The first 45 mins of any POA count as break on a digi but if it is an analogue tacho then… hmmm… now i’m really guessing … it will be the same…

HIDES QUICKLY…

Mike, that quote has since been clarified. It was a mistake in the issue you took it from and in the following issue they printed a correction explaining it only applies to multi manning operations where the first 45 minutes of POA will be assumed to be break for position 2 on the tacho unit due to the fact it is not possible to select the break mode while the vehicle is moving.

ROG, as usual, was way off the mark. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

Harsh, but this time fair :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

if i am not mistaken if you book a POA for an hour it will reset your driving time but you must remember how much you did before you put it on POA as it will count.

IE if you drove 1 hour and booked 1 hour POA your drive time on the digi unit would reset to zero but that one hour is still drive time and would mean you only have 3.5 hour drive left unless you take a brake.

delboytwo:
if i am not mistaken if you book a POA for an hour it will reset your driving time…

It will reset it after you clock 45 minutes of POA, or a combination of POA and break totalling 45 minutes. The digi tacho also wrongly counts say a 25 minute break followed by a 20 minute break as completing 45 minutes and resets the drive timer.

garnerlives:

Coffeeholic:

Very understandable too, since Coffeeholic’s point is not actually written in the Regs. :wink:

Having said that, ROG is probably too busy posting driving tips in the Newbies’ forum to have actually read the Regs… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
:stuck_out_tongue: I know he has them, cos I delivered them to him personally… :wink: :grimacing:

dieseldave:

garnerlives:

Coffeeholic:

Very understandable too, since Coffeeholic’s point is not actually written in the Regs. :wink:

But it has been discussed on here several times before, in threads which ROG contributed to. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

I’m claiming SENIOR MOMENTS as my excuse :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Coffeeholic:
But it has been discussed on here several times before, in threads which ROG contributed to. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Indeed it has, but everybody knows that ROG is targeting your post count, so he’ll never settle for a 5-minute argument when he can have the full half-hour. :grimacing:

:wink: A 75% reduction in his post count seems fair to me. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

dieseldave:
:wink: A 75% reduction in his post count seems fair to me. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t count all his ‘Welcome to TruckNet’ posts and that would equal a 75% reduction. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Ive noticed my TS02 doesnt count 45mins POA as a break (Doesny wipe the slate clean) but when driving a Digi Volvo it DOES wipe the slate clean…

Digi tachos will do that Its a pain in the arse but it aint break on ur tacho :grimacing: