Is Paid Break a norm?

Hiya

Today, I’ve just done my 2nd day class 2 job in my life.

Two days with two different company but same agency.

Just wondering is Paid Break a norm in the HGV driving jobs?

Because I’m getting none in both of them.

Do you guys actually put how much break you had for the day in your timesheet?

Or, could it be only permanent contract have paid breaks while agency don’t have them?

When I was driving on agency it was customary for all breaks after the first 45 minutes to be paid.

I believe there were a few companies that wouldn’t pay any breaks but I wouldn’t work for them.

If the law requires you to have a second break there’s no reason you should not be paid for it.

I only ever put the first 45 minutes of break on time sheets because as far as I was concerned if the law required me to have more breaks I was at work and working.

No employer ever questioned my breaks even though they were clearly shown on my driver card.

Edit: I’ve been retired for a few years now but I believe you’ll find that some companies still stop 45 minutes of break from directly employed drivers.

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

Just wondering is Paid Break a norm in the HGV driving jobs?

Some jobs pay it, some don’t.

Do you guys actually put how much break you had for the day in your timesheet?

It depends on the arrangement between the agency and the hirer. If you are getting a timesheet signed, there should be an hours to be paid column. Sometimes start and finish times are submitted by the hirer to the agency and there can be a standard 45 minute deduction, in which case it is important to take your full break.

Not getting a signed timesheet can seem a bit risky, but you always have the option of doing a tachograph printout to prove the hours you worked in the event of a discrepancy.

Or, could it be only permanent contract have paid breaks while agency don’t have them?

Not really, because agency drivers go on to equal pay after 12 weeks working at the same location, so they get paid for breaks the same as the permanent drivers after this length of time.

Most jobs I’ve been in haven’t paid for a first break, some have paid for a second break, some haven’t.

Some drivers try to game the system by taking their breaks early (not paid for), thus necessitating a second break (paid for), but I don’t think that works well in the long term.

Most have taken the first 45 from me but paid the rest.
Most are penny pinching tossers run by accountants, hense why they keep losing staff.

I’ve always been deducted 45 mins when working for an agency. But never had breaks deducted when on a full time salary (not hourly paid so can’t be deducted [emoji1787])

I get paid breaks because I spend 90% of my working week with tacho on rest :wink:

shullbit:
I get paid breaks because I spend 90% of my working week with tacho on rest :wink:

Yes …but are you happy? [emoji23]

stu675:

shullbit:

Yes …but are you happy? [emoji23]

pig in ■■■■.jpeg