Is Les Turton (from Cudworth/Barnsley) on this forum

Im James Dean, nephew of John Dean from Cudworth, Alan Dean being my dad. We have both had a keen interest in trucks, we are particularly interested in old pictures of Barnsley Truck firms. Me and Alan are keen model makers and we also draw trucks.
We are interested in seeing pictures of the Trowbridge Aec Mandators of Sheffield. We are also on the look out for Coopers tankers at Shafton, Duncan Sharp at Carlton. Redfearn National Glass Scania 110s.
Alan used to work for Whitehead trailers at Carlton/Barugh Green and also Alko at Carlton Industrial Estate opposite BOC which is now Gist. Alan then went on into a model truck building business called Modeltrux making white metal trucks and trailers in kit form then moved on to painting code 3 models in a variety of local yorkshire firms such as Pete Osborne, Reg Jefferies of otley, Viamaster Transport, Mcfarlane etc
If you are on here Les, I have a picture of you and my Uncle John in front of a Fearns Volvo f88

James and Alan Dean

I have included a picture of my drawing of a Scammell Trunker. This truck comes to our local truck and bus rally at Kirkby Stephen in ■■■■■■■ which is where we now live.

Hi holydiver.
Don’t think les is on trucknet but he is a very good friend of mine.
Speek to him most week so if you can post the picture on here I can copy it and email it to him or send me a pm and I will send you his email address.

Hello,
Many thanks for your reply. Here is the picture, i have also included an old drawing that John Dean did years ago… he may remember this. Les’s Dad used to drive for Trowbridge.
Whats your name?

Thanks again
James and Alan Dean

Hi Holydiver.
You won’t no me as I’am from Grimsby.
I know les from when I was on tanks and kept in touch with him.
Les now is an owner driver and has a new FH GLobtrotter.
If I can get a photo of it I will post it on here so keep an eye out for it.

TANKTROTTER

holydiver:
Hello,
Many thanks for your reply. Here is the picture, i have also included an old drawing that John Dean did years ago… he may remember this. Les’s Dad used to drive for Trowbridge.
Whats your name?

Thanks again
James and Alan Dean

Hi James and Alan.
Would that be Jack Turton - I think he was known as Jack the Hat as he wore a trilby hat - who drove for Trowbridges? If so I used to see him now and again when I was on nights driving for Naylor and Wagstaffe in Sheffield Parkway Market. He had an AEC Mercury in 1969/70 and I thought our Mercurys and Marshal were fast,but I never passed Jack coming back to Sheffield on the M1,that motor of his could catch pigeons. :laughing:
By the way,I remember that F88,it used to come into Staveley Chemicals when I worked for A E Evans in the 70s.

Hello Chris, Thanks for the message. :slight_smile: That sounds like him my dad says, haha they certainly dont make trucks like that anymore. There is a Peter Davies photo of the Fearns Volvo loaded with coils. I have attached it for you.

regards
James and Alan

holydiver:
Hello Chris, Thanks for the message. :slight_smile: That sounds like him my dad says, haha they certainly dont make trucks like that anymore. There is a Peter Davies photo of the Fearns Volvo loaded with coils. I have attached it for you.

regards
James and Alan

Thanks for that photo James and Alan.I remember Fearns very well and they ran two LWB Atki tankers in Staveley yellow,one of the drivers was called Stan.If you happen to come across any photos of George Cooper’s 8-legger tankers from Shafton I’d like to see them.

Chris

alan dean was/is a top truck model maker.i have four model made by him,pete osborne,viamaster,stobart and andrew whishart,just like the real thing.will put some photos on when i when i get chance.a nice bloke too,regards graham from bradford

No problem Chris, I would also be interested in pics of Coopers as i used to live just up the road. They also ran a Volvo F86 driven by Ray Locke, someone will
have some photos somewhere.

Hello Graham! Thanks for your comments, really nice to here from you. Sorry we lost touch we moved to Kirkby Stephen ■■■■■■■ a few years ago.
Are you still driving your own vehicle? Me and James would really like to see the models I did for you , still making models and drawing trucks and driving her
indoors mad. I will post some pics of drawings if your interested . Feel free to keep in touch via my son’s email address pencilart@hotmail.co.uk
Many thanks
Alan and James

Hi folks,
Interesting post for me…my dad rove for Sharpies, then Towmaster Transport at Denaby in Doncaster, then back to Barnsley with BOC. I also like to dabble in model making myself, so the thread ticks all the box’s :smiley:
Below are a few snaps that you may find helpful, I have also attached a few snaps of my first and only attempt at 1:50 scale whit metal kit build, along with again my first and only attempt at 1:24 too. My dad is Stuart McDermott by the way. Cheers.

I believe this was taken at Liverpool Docks. The reg number was EHE 642V. I dont know who the driver is…maybe you do?

Sorry, dont know location, or driver, but reg number is OHD 412P. (somebody MUST remember that Ginger mop! :wink: )

Towmaster Transport had one of the more striking liveries at the time.

At rest on the services

Typical Transhild outfit.

My first ever attempt at model building.

With a code 3 corgi trailer

Another code 3 trailer, with plastic plumbing pipe cut and sprayed to make tunnel sections.

Another code 3 trailer with home made decals.

Finally, would Towmaster wagons look like this today if they were still around…?

This was my first ever attempt at 1:24…and I enjoyed the challenge. especially converting to RHD.

Noah and Seth are the names of my 2 boys.

Thanks for looking, and I hope you enjoy. Cheers.

Nice models, not as good as Alan deans,but not bad for your first go. The erf you have interest in was owned by a friend of mine in Bradford.

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.817852,-1.728688
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.817627,-1.728788

More of Alan’s models

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.817760,-1.728738

One more

Last one

And altogether

Hello Hilltop

Many thanks for your reply and the photo of the Sharp Seddon. We have been looking for pictures of this fleet. Very nice models too, I saw your little ERF in a thread the other day. Hope all goes well for getting the real truck!

Thanks for the photos of my dads models Biggee. It his great to see these again after all them years. I remember the back room being full of them. I will email you some of Alan’s recent drawings soon. Model wise he has been on with a big Pocher Volvo recently and 1/43rd conversions.
Many thanks again
James and Alan

Dad used to drive one of Sharpies borderer’s…I cant remember the full reg number, but will ask him next time I see him.
I would love to see some pics of the borderer units but have surfed all over and cant find any.
I am currently on with doing a model of a sharpie wagon, (again a code 3 corgi)…will post some pics when finished.

Cheers

Hilltop,
Yeah we would love to see some pictures of the borderers too. My uncle used to get rides in one of the Sharpie Borderers with a guy called Eddie Hewitt from Cudworth, he later moved to carlton. There is a chance your dad may know him.
regards
James and Alan

ok, I will ask dad when I see him next. ta.