Is it worth while doing class one

I have just recently passed my class two and was wondering if it is worth while going for my class one right away or woukd i be better to get some experience driving class two vehicles i am bookrd in to do my adr course as well any help woukd be appreciated thanks

if you can afford to go straight for your c+e then my opinion is go for it not only will it give you less time to get out the training mindset and you would have had less time to pick up any bad habits if C+E is where you want to be you will end up doing it anyway so no point putting it off. I passed my cat C and then 5 weeks later (after the licence had come back) did my c+e it does give you more options in the job market but I have only done agency work and after Christmas I’ll be driving class 2 full time but am able to cover the class 1 that was a big thing for me landing the job.

The other argument is if you find out you don’t like trucking you have just thrown away more money.

Are you enjoying the job, can you see yourself lorrying for the next 10/20/40 years, if so get the higher qual.

With the majority of employers experience on rigids will not count when looking for a class 1 job. If you’re sure that driving for a living suits you I’d do it straight away.

Yeah i am enjoying the job i just worried in case i go for the class one pay all the money for the course and cant get a job as there always looking for at least two years experience before you can apply and the fact i have just pass my class two i feel the class one feels so much bigger compared to the class two which i am just getting use to i want to eventually go down the route of driving tankers thats the idea of doing my adr course

You’ll get a job. You got a start on rigids didn’t you? Just have to put yourself out there. :wink:

Yeah got a job right away i heard its easyier to get a job for class two than class one as there always looking for at least two years experience for class one

archer2005uk:
Yeah got a job right away i heard its easyier to get a job for class two than class one as there always looking for at least two years experience for class one

Depends on the area that you live in for one thing mate(along with numerous other reasons). Getting a start on rigids with a new pass can be difficult as you have ZERO large vehicle experience behind you. I always advise new passes to get a start with the food service providers because they are usually crying out for drivers, and the nature of the work gives great learning experience in my view.

It’s also a good way to get 12 months LGV experience on your CV, and if you then go on to bendy’s it shows that you at least have one year of driving lorries under your belt.

For those who pass Class 2 and then Class 1 straight away, I would imagine it could be quite difficult to get a start with ZERO lorry driving experience behind you (assuming you want to get straight into artics). 44 tonnes, 8 corners, £100k + load value, and fifty feet of truck in the hands of a novice, scares the crap out of some employers :grimacing: And to be fair, some employers insurance stipulates 2 years experience anyway.

I’ve only been driving artics for 3 years, but they are far easier to drive and far more enjoyable than rigids in my opinion, and if it’s something that you really want to do, you should do it. Quick word of warning though, the novelty SOON wears off :wink:

Thanks for the advice i thiught it would be much harder to drive a artic as its much longer and its not connect to the wagon and the reverseing would be hatder

archer2005uk:
Thanks for the advice i thiught it would be much harder to drive a artic as its much longer and its not connect to the wagon and the reverseing would be hatder

The reversing can be tricky at first but it quickly gets better. As for the length, yes it’s much longer, but the articulation means that they can actually fit in relatively tight spaces and you can spin them round far easier than driving a cruise ship 18 tonner.

Ah i see i might book myself in for a weeks course then is there a lot of working away with class one driving long hours?

archer2005uk:
Ah i see i might book myself in for a weeks course then is there a lot of working away with class one driving long hours?

All depends on what you want to do mate. There are jobs in haulage to suit everyone. Days/nights/weekends/shifts/tramping etc.

Am sort of looking to go doen the tanker route

My advice is to go for CE asap. But don’t go into debt for it (or if you do, make sure you can make the payments from current income).

Maybe take a look at the Christmas Offer.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thats it all book up any advice