Is it worth paying out for a HIAB?

Hi everyone,I’m toying with the idea of getting myself a HIAB licence so I can then go round the builders merchants and work decent hours,instead of stupid ,unsocial hours all the time and weekend working ,which I am on now.I have a class 1,but don’t mind going back on rigids if the right pay and conditions are there.By that I mean a fair wage,and not the derisory 5 ,to 7 quid an hour which is bandied about around Teesside asnd the North East in general.I want mimimum 8 pound per hour,Monday to Friday ,and say 7am til 5:30 or 6pm.Is this too much to ask with 3 years class 1 experience and say a HIAB certificate?

Please be honest.If HIAB’s are a waste of time,please let me know so that I can save my hard earned cash.I will be very grateful for advice.Thanks,

Glenn,

Hiab is worth getting, but you will be unlikely to earn any money with it in a builders merchants - they are usually one of the worst payers. Better money can be had running a grab wagon on muck, if you can get into it then £100 plus per day is quite normal.

From what i’ve seen Rigid HiAb, pays as much as artic work.

dennisw1:
From what i’ve seen Rigid HiAb, pays as much as artic work.

Yeah, and I have seen agencies paying “£800 per week take home”, never met anyone actually earning it though. Most hiab work is on buliders merchants when you start, they only work 9hours a day, so once you have had your lunch you only get 8hrs pay for a 5 day week, the odd half day saturday, better money can be had running grab wagons, more hours and a better hourly rate, but you do have to work harder for it.

Builders Merchants pay can depend a lot on which firm you’re working for I reckon.

:bulb:
Artics have Hiabs too!

• Bricks, Blocks, Roofing Tiles, Flagstones, Fencing, Portacabins, Boats, disabled / scrap vehicles, empty Containers, ‘Bottle Bank’ and other types of Re-cycling containers, etc. :wink:

I’d say go for it … - Re-cycling would be my own top tip for ‘growth in haulage- related jobs in 2006’ :sunglasses:

You heard it here first… where there’s muck, there’s money…and some extra jobs as well.
The Government have got a bee in their bonnet about increasing re-cycling targets for all local authorities at the moment. :slight_smile: