is it worth it

i’m beginning to thing is it worth it spending 1k to 3k on getting my licencee
1 I’m currently working for a supermarket delivering shopping on £7.34 hr but I only get 26 hours a week
2 when I pass my tests am I really going to find work perm or temp as it a lot of money to me
3 most driving schools I’ve found are on adv about 40 min drive from home so that would add 2 hours to my day
is it really worth it

I have recouped the money spent on my cat C. I agree it’s not going to make you a millionaire any time soon, but you can live comfortably.

There is full time work out there if you are willing to take the knockbacks and keep on knocking on the doors.

A lot of driving schools are located close to the DSA test centres so they can cover potential test routes. It does make it harder if you are not close to a commercial vehicle test centre. It may be worth looking at a residential course if you are taking the time off to do the course anyway. I know a couple of trainers on here don’t charge extra for the accommodation.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Dean

The vibe I get from your post leads me to advise you to leave it alone. I base this on (without being patronising) your current low income - thus the strain on finances to gain the licence/s plus the lack of a promise of regular work at the end of it.

It’s a good idea to do the training and gain the licence/s if your finances can stand the cost on your current income rather than expectations of things that may or may not materialise.

Most unusual for me to be negative - just trying to give honest advice.

But if you choose to go for it, I’ll be the first to support you through it. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Jase73:
2 when I pass my tests am I really going to find work perm or temp as it a lot of money to me

The odds are higher that you won’t find work but right place, right time and that can change.

Jase73:
3 most driving schools I’ve found are on adv about 40 min drive from home so that would add 2 hours to my day
is it really worth it

If you are concerned about that distance to get to the driving school then I would suggest you don’t go for the licence(s) as it will increase the difficulty in finding work if the company has to be close to you.

Coffeeholic:

Jase73:
is it really worth it

If you are concerned about that distance to get to the driving school then I would suggest you don’t go for the licence(s) as it will increase the difficulty in finding work if the company has to be close to you.

My sentiments exactly.

This job really isn’t for if you’re concerned about driving 40 minutes to get to the training centre where hopefully you’d only be going for a week or two.

At the moment I’m doing a 72 mile round trip to work which takes about 50 minutes each way :frowning:

Not for any longer than necessary though :wink:

The traveling isn’t the issue as I enjoy driving
The issue is what sort of time training would start as evening in our house is very stressful as I have a son with Autisum & ADHD

Jase73:
The traveling isn’t the issue as I enjoy driving
The issue is what sort of time training would start as evening in our house is very stressful as I have a son with Autisum & ADHD

Normally would have to be in yard for about *.00 am ( or that is what time I had to be there but normally finished for about 16.00

But you poss wont earn much more driving Cat C or CE as the going rate in my area is about £7.50 ph on CE

Hi Jase

You do sound a bit down mate…and its only 2nd Jan.

Ok will you find work ?

1. How old are you
  2. Any bad marks on your licence
  3. Which part of the country do you live in

These can seriously affect your chances of getting work, but hey if nobody can get a 1st opportunity who is driving every truck on the roads. I guess you do not currently have a C1, 7.5t licence or you would have mentioned that so there is much pain ahead before you are ready to even apply for a LGV job. Medical, 2 x theory tests, 2 x CPC tests, 4/5 days travelling to a course then the stress of the test, buying a digital tacho card, perhaps trying for the Class 1, writing a CV. Sounds a lot…this is assuming you pass everything 1st time. The pain can get a lot worse.

On the plus side you do work as a driver so you can BIG that up at interviews. The honest answer is if you want it enough then go for it. You dont sound very happy with your 26 hours work now and is that likely to change soon.

Sorry I cant tell you what you want to hear but there are lots of happy people on this site each week especially when ROG gets his famous fireworks out.

On the plus side you do work as a driver so you can BIG that up at interviews. The honest answer is if you want it enough then go for it. You dont sound very happy with your 26 hours work now and is that likely to change soon.

Well let’s just say there doesn’t seam to be any chance of upping my hours as they much rather take on more people than give you more hours

I’m 80% sure it’s something I want to do just a bit unsure as I have failed my class 2 twice before this was 6 years ago didn’t take it again due to lack of funds
Since then I have done some 7.5t driving

This is something I have always wanted to do

Jase73:
I’m 80% sure it’s something I want to do just a bit unsure as I have failed my class 2 twice before this was 6 years ago didn’t take it again due to lack of funds
Since then I have done some 7.5t driving

Well more good news then. You will already have the Cat C provisional so no need for another medical (unless you had your 45th birthday in the last 6 years). Also if you have done 7.5t driving and you held that licence on 09/09/2009 then you will not need to take the 2 initial CPC exams.

I would strongly recommend taking an assessment drive with a couple of training companies. Many trainers provide these free and you might not need as many days training as someone with no previous experience.

Hope this helps. BTW where are you based.