Is it worth it? Class 1

Hi

Im currently doing class 2 tipper work. Monday-Friday 4 nights tramping at around 42k. Is it worth the hassle to do my class 1?

Yes…

It is. You’ll find more opportunities with artics simple and plain as that. Agencies will have more work and a nice bonus is, they usually pay class 1 rate for class 2 work.

Your experience so far should get you easily over the finish line on a class 1 test.

Go for it!

If you’re in a job you like and it’s a job for life then doing class 1 probably would not be worthwhile, however lets face it, no-one has a job for life these days so I would say class 1 is a worthwhile qualification even if you don’t anticipate using it immediately.

If you think it will better you and give you more prospects…ok.
If you think it brings you some kind of kudos (definitely NOT btw) or you’re just doing it for doing it sake…why tf would you if you have a steady job paying quite well that you are happy with.
If my lot offered me the same money for doing same job driving a rigid, …I’d be in there like a shot,.as long as I had a decent cab to kip in,.even a pick up or van with a roof pod ffs.
Nothing clever or enviable about driving a ■■■■ artic mate. :bulb:

Johny Bravo:
Hi

Im currently doing class 2 tipper work. Monday-Friday 4 nights tramping at around 42k. Is it worth the hassle to do my class 1?

How much more than 42k do you think you will earn if you are class 1. The most I have earned class 1 was last year 39k and that was alternating 5 days one week 6 days next week, though I don’t do nights out. You drive a tipper now, if you get your class 1 will you be coming off tippers and onto curtainsiders, wrestling with curtains in the wind and hissing down rain, getting mithered off the pointy shoes, as said above if you like your current job then maybe its not worth it, the grass isn’t always greener. But if you don’t like it then how do you know you will like it if you get class 1. Personally I am glad I got mine, but my background on class 2 was general haulage, starting at all hours, with 8 to ten drops a day chasing my ■■■, and then maybe 2 or 3 collections followed by a long wait to get the collections unloaded at a shipping agent, so getting my class 1 actually made my job easier, usually 4 drops max, still maybe 1 or 2 collections though, that was when I was on general.

Johny Bravo:
Hi

Totally depends on your situation, it never hurts to have the licence. Can give you many more options if you need them. Like others have said don’t expect to earn much more though.

Go ferret.

Johny Bravo:
Hi

To earn more than what you are earning now I’d probably say no it isn’t worth the hassle.

But if times were hard and you were struggling for a job then it would open more doors.

We all need a crystal ball.

Class 2 Tipper aggregate/muck shifting work is massive at the moment with all the construction work going on, but it’s a sector that dies immediately a recession happens.
The artic ticket will make you more recession proof.

My experience of all previous recessions is that every sector except food and essential services cuts back massively.

All you can do is judge what is around in your area ad what you think is likely to happen over the coming years and plan accordingly, for what its worth i would get the artic ticket but carry on in the present job if your enjoy it, if you see signs its coming to a sticky end find something more ‘essential’ before the messy stuff hits the fan and every driver and his dog seeks a safe haven job.

I’d stay with the job you’ve got, but take the class 1 as well. Even if you don’t need it at the moment, it improves your options if things change.

I did about 15 years on class 2 and four on class 1 and have gone back to class 2 as it’s just less hassle for the same money.

You drive a van round all day, we drive proper trucks. You work it out.

SuperMultiBlue:
You drive a van round all day, we drive proper trucks. You work it out.

So your saying a class 2 isn’t a proper truck? Don’t talk ■■■■■■

trucken:
I’d stay with the job you’ve got, but take the class 1 as well. Even if you don’t need it at the moment, it improves your options if things change.

I agree.
It also gives time for the ink to dry on your class 1 to prevent you being considered too recently licensed if you do apply for a class 1 job.

Yes it is another string to your bow…then tankers,low loaders,heavy haulage,…

Nothing clever or enviable about driving a [zb] artic mate. :bulb:

I beg pardon? I find you impertinent. Nothing clever or enviable about driving a [zb] artic…how very dare you. :laughing:

Johny Bravo:
Hi

Are you pulling in 15 hrs a day on the clock to get that? Most tipper drivers seem to get worked to the max on day work, not sure if for the trampers it’s much different?

The firm I work for is tanker trailers and it pays slightly less but is way way easier going, no bosses on our backs, just call in some numbers and get our next job on the phone for the day after.

We had some lads quit to get the big money jobs and they fcking hated it, it was more money alright but they were worked like machines, no parking pay for the truckstops either, they had to either find laybys or pay out of their own pocket.

Gavv8:
I did about 15 years on class 2 and four on class 1 and have gone back to class 2 as it’s just less hassle for the same money.

It’s weird as I went from class 2 to class 1 and haven’t looked back to be honest. Tramping is extra coin which is nice and my commuting costs are minimal and a lot less BS now.

The money is slightly better (although it can be as good in some class 2 jobs sometimes) and i prefer the driving to class 2 wagon. I hardly see any class 2 tramping jobs so this guy who is the OP is a rare breed. Class 1 is more in-demand generally, you can walk into any haulage firm and get a job with a class 1 but not always with a class 2 (tippers maybe excepted).

I did my Class 1 in 1988 whilst working in a completely different job field. Since then, after being made redundant from that job in 2010, I started driving for an agency, who only ever gave me class 2 work - including tramping in tippers. The company (Hargreaves) paid their Class 2 drivers the same as the Class 1 drivers - the logic being, although the artics are bigger, the Class 2 tippers are expected to get into tighter spaces.

Last Monday, I had an interview for a company that is only about a mile away from where I live. The job advert said Class 2, but with sponsored training to Class 1 (which would not be needed in my case). I got the job and I start on Monday! So, after being resigned to it never doing Class 1 it is set to happen. I’m excited to have a couple of questions answered. 1) whether is possible to be an artic driver and remain at peace with the world and 2) whether there is the camaraderie among artic drivers that doesn’t extend to drivers of rigids.

tgf1961:
I did my Class 1 in 1988 whilst working in a completely different job field. Since then, after being made redundant from that job in 2010, I started driving for an agency, who only ever gave me class 2 work - including tramping in tippers. The company (Hargreaves) paid their Class 2 drivers the same as the Class 1 drivers - the logic being, although the artics are bigger, the Class 2 tippers are expected to get into tighter spaces.

Last Monday, I had an interview for a company that is only about a mile away from where I live. The job advert said Class 2, but with sponsored training to Class 1 (which would not be needed in my case). I got the job and I start on Monday! So, after being resigned to it never doing Class 1 it is set to happen. I’m excited to have a couple of questions answered. 1) whether is possible to be an artic driver and remain at peace with the world and 2) whether there is the camaraderie among artic drivers that doesn’t extend to drivers of rigids.

1. Absolutely, as with any job set your stall out from day one, work at your own pace doing a Frank, ie do it your way, work the way you want to.

2. Respect is shown from competent courteous drivers of all vehicles (trucks buses vans cars bikes) to other road users of similar skills regardless of the vehicle they drive, takes but a few moments to realise the skill level of the person behind the wheel of any vehicle.
    Sadly all too many at the wheel of all vehicles fall well below the standards one might expect, you might reasonably hope qualified HGV and bus drivers to seek to attain a higher standard of competence care and courtesy and to be fair most do, its disappointing when the minority prove to be not up to the task but when larger vehicles are driven by the sub standard they stick out more and as is always the case the rest of us get tarred with the same brush.

Hope the job goes well.