Is it worth going tramping.?

I am a newly qualified driver having passed both 2 and 1 last year , I was lucky enough to fall on my feet in to a well paid job dragging waste food for a bio plant, I can’t fault the job really apart from there is a few places we go to that involve a fair bit of hand balling , but it is mainly bulkers and euros , I had the occasional night out but they have been few and far between . My main goal is to gain a good few years experience and my adr , with the ambition to hopefully do some work across the sea one day . Would it be advisable for me to get in to general haulage and tramping in this country to further my experience or am I better off just taking my £10.60 an hour and getting to go home every night .?

You sound like you want to give it a go, so that means you should give it a go, even try and find somebody who’ll give you a chance to do euro work. You might hate it, but at least you’ll know and you won’t spend you life wondering if it was for you.

I would definitely try it at least mate. I went tramping last week for the first time and I really liked it and money wise it was well worth it. Can’t do it full time though but I will be doing it again

Definitely stay as you are. Don’t go tramping. I did tramping for 6 weeks after passing my test and it’s no way to live. The novelty of parking in a lay-by 200 miles from home with no facilities soon wears off. I would never do a single night out in a truck again!

Depends on how close you are to your place of work. I live about 45 minutes away from my place so I like to grab as many nights as I can. If you don’t have any dependents and want to see the country then go for it.

Youngen:
with the ambition to hopefully do some work across the sea one day .

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you’re about 15 years too late.

I can relate to this post, same situation should I/shouldn’t I. For me it’s leaving my kids they are both under two… just don’t know how I’d feel been X amount of miles away at night (it may sound daft and I’ll probably get called soppy ■■■■■■■■ but I’ve never had a night away from them)

But then it’s always want I wanted to do growing up

Mickey mouse:
Definitely stay as you are. Don’t go tramping. I did tramping for 6 weeks after passing my test and it’s no way to live. The novelty of parking in a lay-by 200 miles from home with no facilities soon wears off. I would never do a single night out in a truck again!

I nearly gave it up after the first few weeks, then something clicked and I realised I was enjoying going to different places each day. But I respect you for the fact you gave it a go and decided it wasn’t for you, we’re all different and what suits me obviously didn’t suit you, which is why I feel Youngen should give it a go and find out for his or herself.

Mickey mouse:

Simple remedy for that mate, don’t park in lay bys with no facilities :bulb: not novelty more like masochism. I’ve tramped UK and Europe most of my life but would have lasted only a week if I did it like you, so you are probs the wrong guy to give advice eh?

To o/p, if you fancy it mate give it a go, keep away from rip off msa.s, and ■■■■ hole lay bys. Look for a retail park or ind est at edge of town and use the facilities. Don’t be afraid of going off route a few ks to find somewhere, and make notes of places you see to park in the future.
It can be as good or crap as YOU make it. If you don’t try it you will never know.
However be prepared for missing your kids growing up, and a lot of marriages have gone down the crapper. On the other hand…''absence can also make the heart ''etc etc.
I’ve been with the same woman since I started tramping 36 years ago, so you decide mate. Good luck.

Great job if you are homeless.

eagerbeaver:

Or as my mate says ‘Great job this, if you are sick of your Mrs’ :laughing:

robroy:

eagerbeaver:

Or your missus is sick of you!!! :frowning: :frowning: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Im sick of the lot of you.

tango boy:

robroy:

eagerbeaver:

Or your missus is sick of you!!! :frowning: :frowning: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’d never considered that orangeboy, you have just spoiled my ■■■■■■ day :neutral_face:

:laughing:

eagerbeaver:
Im sick of the lot of you.

You thought of going tramping, great way to get away from people. :laughing:

robroy:

tango boy:

robroy:

eagerbeaver:

I’d never considered that orangeboy, you have just spoiled my [zb] day :neutral_face:

:laughing:

We’re three days in on holiday, She aint happy, lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I tramp for about 2 weeks at a time. Getting fed up tbh. I got married last year, and she’s not happy at the time I’m away. :frowning:

PMSL Muckles.

I reckon that you can tell im bored.

Havin young nippers probably aint the right time to consider trampin for many, wait till they have grown up and you keep gettin on the missus’s ■■■■ all the time (and I aint talkin in a pearl necklace way).

For me my ■■■ life took a massive leap in regularity from once a month to once a week and thats without counting my solo shenanigans which are well documented on this forum.

Course theres more to life than coitus (well there isnt really) but with trampin one has to be able to like their own company as well as cope with moments of stress when the truck parks full and a bit of creativity is needed to park up for the night.

eagerbeaver:

For real…mate of mine spent nigh on 3yrs living in his superspace. (he did get out of it now and then)