Is it possible to buy an operators license?

Glad you listened to the advice.

I wish you every success.

Ken.

Zac_A:
Just to let yourself know exactly what it is you’re contemplating (and why your post was greeted in the way it was) try one of these books (pretty much industry “bibles”), currently £54 (first one) or £30 (second one) from that online shop named after the big river (don’t want to fall foul of advertising caveats)

whats is difference between these 2books except price?
review from Amazon:
Initially you think these books are great, being written by Clive Pidgeon, so we have bought these as part of the learning materials for your students on their Transport Manager course.
Because we are writing our own classroom training material to support the class, and these books are for the learners to use for homework purposes, we have had to read through these books referring students to various pages to study, and to go through the questions with them.
This is when we realised that this book contains a catalogue of mis-leading, out of date, and inaccurate information that despite its cost, it has proved worthless.
The author seems not to be able to understand basic information or to be able to apply effort to update or check and amend the book from year to year with the same mistakes repeated year in and year out.
In 2018 in the Business and Finance Section, it provides some calculations for fuel costs - in 2020 it provides the same calculations but moves the decimal point to the WRONG place, despite a note saying it is vital to have the decimal point in the right place !!
It refers to an old GV79A fleet list document in all years, which hasnt been used since about 2013.
It calls an operator licence vehicle disc an OL1 instead of an OL2
It provides incorrect information on ECMT Permits in the UK that was amended last year but appears in the 2020 book
It calls the Payee the payer of monies, instead of the receiver of monies.
Under Road Safey section it gives wholly incorrect information on the weight of loads required in test vehicles, completely mis-interpreting the actual technical information on this, and gets it completely wrong which is woefully misleading for students knowledge.
Other information which changed last year and the year before is still repeated which is sloppy editing, and poor care by the author who appears to earn a lot of money from this book, but spends little time updating it.

I have spent hours and hours and hours of my time correcting this book, for free!!
I could, quite simply, write a better book myself.

LL79:
… This is when we realised that this book contains a catalogue of mis-leading, out of date, and inaccurate information that despite its cost, it has proved worthless. …

This is one of the things I’ve said many times on this forum to those who think that they can buy cheap CPC study materials from sites such as eBay or Amazon.

Very often, the poor punter has no idea that the ‘bargain’ books he buys will let him down very badly if they’re out of date… the thing that makes it really sad for them is that the poor sods have no way of knowing. :frowning:

I’ve no idea how CILT deals with this, but proper books bought directly from EOS for home study WILL be in date and tailored for the next set of exams.

The same should apply to books supplied by the provider of a classroom based CPC course, so that’s a question well worth asking at the time a candidate books a classroom course.

dieseldave:

LL79:
… This is when we realised that this book contains a catalogue of mis-leading, out of date, and inaccurate information that despite its cost, it has proved worthless. …

This is one of the things I’ve said many times on this forum to those who think that they can buy cheap CPC study materials from sites such as eBay or Amazon.

Very often, the poor punter has no idea that the ‘bargain’ books he buys will let him down very badly if they’re out of date… the thing that makes it really sad for them is that the poor sods have no way of knowing. :frowning:

I’ve no idea how CILT deals with this, but proper books bought directly from EOS for home study WILL be in date and tailored for the next set of exams.

The same should apply to books supplied by the provider of a classroom based CPC course, so that’s a question well worth asking at the time a candidate books a classroom course.

hard to say if this person just not trying to put people of the book as he works in industry, other reviews are positive. I can live with few incorrect details if its right in the whole.

One think i do not get is WHY 8weeks for results after exam…sounds like bad joke!

LL79:
whats is difference between these 2books except price?
review from Amazon:
Initially you think these books are great, being written by Clive Pidgeon, so we have bought these as part of the learning materials for your students on their Transport Manager course…

…I have spent hours and hours and hours of my time correcting this book, for free!!
I could, quite simply, write a better book myself.

This is why I did the :open_mouth: when I said you could do it as home study.
I tried to do the TMCPC as home study about 15 years ago when it was a three part exam, two multiple choice papers plus the case studies, passed the first two but not the case studies. It definitely shouldn’t be underestimated for difficulty.

I have grown up with David Lowe and Croner.

Anyone remember the updates on Floppy disc and the new pages for the manual.

LL79:
… One think i do not get is WHY 8weeks for results after exam…sounds like bad joke!

Hi LL 79,

It’s been that way for as long as I can remember, at least as far back as 1997 when I did my own CPCs.

It was still the same when I taught it for a while in the mid/late 00’s.

I think it’s probably to do with the fact that there’s still exam scripts for people to mark, then there’s all the collation and reports to be done, then (if it’s like DGSA exams) there’s a borderline meeting amongst the markers and the Chief Examiner, which all takes time to organise and get done.

I made the mistake of buying the Pigeon book. A very experienced mate of mine bet me that I couldn’t find anything in it that I actually needed to know. He was correct.

I use the Lowe book now but didn’t take it into the exam. I read the EOS books over and over and took them in with me. I passed first time but did a hell of a lot of work before the exams.

Dip - why not pick someone on here you think knows what they are talking about and contact them directly. You could also appoint an external Transport Manager if that was more your bag but these don’t come cheap, depending on how good a one you want. Find someone local to you as well, to make both your lives easier and highten the chance of them being accepted by the TC. (I’m not touting for business so please don’t look at me)

Ken - Quinny - be prepared to wait. It’s taken nearly 3 months from TM1 submission for me to be accepted for my new TM role. That was even after they sent us a threatening letter saying we were running without a TM (we weren’t)

I’m sure someone will correct me, but I’m trying to answer the OP’s original issue posed.

It has been many years since I read up on O licences, but isn’t it still only MANDATORY to have an O licence if you have a fleet greater than 3 vehicles? If the Op is an owner/ operator as stated, then he wouldn’t need one surely?

Caerleon:
I’m sure someone will correct me, but I’m trying to answer the OP’s original issue posed.

It has been many years since I read up on O licences, but isn’t it still only MANDATORY to have an O licence if you have a fleet greater than 3 vehicles? If the Op is an owner/ operator as stated, then he wouldn’t need one surely?

Hi Caerleon,

Blimey!! :open_mouth:

I’ve been in the game for many years, but this is the first I’ve heard of the idea of not needing an ‘O’ licence depending on the size of the fleet.

When was it the case that you didn’t need an ‘O’ licence up to 3 vehicles?

As a general rule, an ‘O’ licence is needed for a vehicle >3.5t permitted GVW when it’s used in connection with a trade or business, even if just one vehicle is involved.

Caerleon, I think maybe there’s some confusion there with the need for a TM-CPC for your O licence:
Those with a vehicle for moving their own gear to do their primary job (eg scaffolder or builder etc) can get by with a Restricted O licence so they don’t need a TM-CPC holder. Everyone else (doing hire or reward) does need a TM-CPC holder to go with the other types of O-licence (Standard National and Standard International)

dieseldave:

Caerleon:

Hi Caerleon,

I’ve been in the game for many years, but this is the first I’ve heard of the idea of not needing an ‘O’ licence depending on the size of the fleet.

As a general rule, an ‘O’ licence is needed for a vehicle >3.5t permitted GVW when it’s used in connection with a trade or business, even if just one vehicle is involved.

Old git that I am remembers this from a part of a course I did in err 1989/90 with the Institute of Motor Industry (MIMI). I’m guessing that I’m totally out of touch with the current rules lol

Caerleon:

dieseldave:

Caerleon:

Hi Caerleon,

Old git that I am remembers this from a part of a course I did in err 1989/90 with the Institute of Motor Industry (MIMI). I’m guessing that I’m totally out of touch with the current rules lol

Hi Caerlon,

Thanks for that; I didn’t get around to doing my Operator CPCs until 1997, so that probably explains it. :smiley:

My certificates are both from RSA, but I did the National with Chemfreight, then the International with Friendberry in Warrington 2 months later because Chemfreight didn’t have enough bodies to make their course viable.

^^^^^^^
There has always been a licensing regime for operating goods vehicles above a certain weight, whether it be 1 or any greater number, since the 1933 Road Traffic Act, when A, B, and C licences were introduced. These were replaced by Operator Licensing in 1970 or '71. Before 1933 there was some regulation of commercial vehicles.

Thank you all!! I am 60 at the end of the year and you make me feel young :slight_smile:

if anyone wants to book TM exam, RHA Pboro is fully booked for 11th of September but A.I.M Ripley has still spaces available…

Hello everyone,
Newbie in the group, newbie as a owner, driver experience 10+ years
I am thinking to take the CPC TM and I will be home schooling, as an previous experience home schooling is the best…I have find to many websites that offer TMC courses and the price range is between 800 - 2000k I will try to narrow down and see which one will be the best option
Question is: “there are specially designed places where you will need to go a take the exam ?” as I have seen that advertising is a problem I can’t name the websites so I am trying to figure out about the exam and then chose the right one “hopefully” . as told newbie here so please be gentle
P.S. At the moment we have external TM but I will like to get involve more in the business
Thank you

Caerleon:

No not possible at all.

Even the local farmers needs an operators licence for his horsebox if he takes his daughters pony to a gymkhana with the neighbours daughters pony, any thing carried for gain needs an o licence, even the self employed scaffolder needs an o licence even though he owns the scaffolding and his brother is chucking up!

DanielG:
Hello everyone,
Newbie in the group, newbie as a owner, driver experience 10+ years
I am thinking to take the CPC TM and I will be home schooling, as an previous experience home schooling is the best…I have find to many websites that offer TMC courses and the price range is between 800 - 2000k I will try to narrow down and see which one will be the best option
Question is: “there are specially designed places where you will need to go a take the exam ?” as I have seen that advertising is a problem I can’t name the websites so I am trying to figure out about the exam and then chose the right one “hopefully” . as told newbie here so please be gentle
P.S. At the moment we have external TM but I will like to get involve more in the business
Thank you

OCR exams are same kind never mind of location you chose…correct me if i am wrong…home study materials are what you need to choose wisely…i went for H
RHA pack which cost me 189,- wanted to do exam with them too but did not get in by email error and after resenting application they were fully booked. Just beware you need to pass both multiple choice and case study to obtain full qualification…I am starting wednesday, hoping 4weeks is enough to ■■■■ all information needed…

Thank you for your answer. I will try to chose the one with in depth materials, notes, etc. I am starting at the end of the month as for the moment I am involved in another exam…
Thank again and good luck with you exam