Is it possible to book CPC module 2 online?

I was wondering if anyone had recently managed to book their CPC module 2 (case studies) test via the official government web page?

Not sure if it’ll let me post this, but it’s this page I’m trying from:
gov.uk/book-theory-test

I booked the theory & hazard perception from there (and passed both), and it offers me the CPC for buses on there, but seems to be missing LGV’s. So was trying to gauge if this is a glitch or if there’s another way to do this?

Any help much appreciated. Trev

I don’t know why you cant see it, but yes that’s were i booked my one about 5 months ago. someone else might be able to help you more

Sounds like you passed your car test prior to 1997 meaning you already hold a C1 licence. Under the recently revised rules, you are permitted to choose whether to take Modules 2 and 4 OR 35 hours periodic training. However, the computer system has yet to catch up with the change in rules.

To deal with this you need to call them and try to do it on the phone. The anecdotal evidence suggests this can be a very long-winded process and some wish they had committed the time to do the 35 hours and not have the stress of pass/fail.

If you choose your training provider carefully you will be able to get credits from your driver training towards the 35 hours. You should do this even if you elect to do Mods 2 and 4 and the credits will go towards the next 5 year period. (This will start 2020 and run to 2025).

Simply ask your training provider if they have licence acquisition covered as a cpc course.

Any more queries, fire away. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’m sure Peter is right about your situation. Are you sure the provisional LGV is on your licence and not PCV? I’m sure you would have known if you accidently did the PCV theory :smiley:

Thank you for all replies - Peter was right about the pre 97 licence causing this issue.

The chief instructor from the training company tried to do it online, then by phone and it turns out because I’ve got a pre 97 licence, I don’t need to do the 37 hours CPC initially (just CPC module 2 & 4 tests), but I’ve got to call DVSA and get this “authorised” before it’s bookable. Blinking government depts!

Oh and yes it’s LGV / HGV not PCV - did check when doing the theory etc, but worth a check. :slight_smile:

trevHCS:
Thank you for all replies - Peter was right about the pre 97 licence causing this issue.

The chief instructor from the training company tried to do it online, then by phone and it turns out because I’ve got a pre 97 licence, I don’t need to do the 37 hours CPC initially (just CPC module 2 & 4 tests), but I’ve got to call DVSA and get this “authorised” before it’s bookable. Blinking government depts!

Oh and yes it’s LGV / HGV not PCV - did check when doing the theory etc, but worth a check. :slight_smile:

All sounds a bit odd and like your ‘chief instructor’ might not know his stuff!

If you can’t book it online and have to call DVSA for authorisation then you have acquired rights and can attend the 35 hours of training - which I would recommend over doing modules 2 & 4.

As Pete has said - a decent Training school will give DCPC hours for some of your Training

While us guys who passed after 1997 has to do the Pass & Fail test!

Explain how that is fair? Its not as we both sitting our tests in 2015 at same time! They should just make it simple and get rid of all the grandfather right stuff!

trevHCS:

You phone pearsons on 0300 200 1188, tell them you have acquired driver CPC rights and want to book module 2 and they will check with DVLA and get back to you.

It takes about two weeks for them to get back to you.

By the way it’s 35 hours periodic training not 37 :wink:

ScottishChris:

Explain how that is fair? Its not as we both sitting our tests in 2015 at same time! They should just make it simple and get rid of all the grandfather right stuff!

Abolishing grandfather rights would involve a change to EU law that would be mostly meaningless at this stage. Grandfather rights are no longer valid for driving professionally, though those who had grandfather rights can acquire a Driver Qualification Card for the first time by taking 35 hours of periodic training.

The UK was in a fairly unusual position compared to the rest of the EU, as up to the end of 1996 it used to grant what is now C1 entitlement to those who passed a car test. As this is a full entitlement, it gives the same grandfather rights under the LGV Driver CPC system as those who gained their C1 or C from passing an LGV test. Pre 1996 UK car tests do not give grandfather rights for PCV Driver CPC, as the D1 entitlement has a 101 restriction code (“not for hire or reward”), which means it cannot be used to drive professionally.

The decision to allow drivers with grandfather rights who have never held a Driver Qualification Card to take the Module 2 and 4 tests is a recent change. In effect, it allows them to ignore their grandfather rights and acquire their DQC in the same way as someone with no grandfather rights.

I wouldn’t feel too hard done by. The cost for training and test for Modules 2 and 4 is typically a little lower than the cost of 35 hours of classroom based periodic training, also it takes less time. Some find Module 2 more difficult than the LGV theory test, but it’s relatively cheap to retake. It is possible to fail Module 4, but very few do.

djw:
I wouldn’t feel too hard done by. The cost for training and test for Modules 2 and 4 is typically a little lower than the cost of 35 hours of classroom based periodic training, also it takes less time. Some find Module 2 more difficult than the LGV theory test, but it’s relatively cheap to retake. It is possible to fail Module 4, but very few do.

My local driver training place charge more for Module 2 & 4 combined than I do for 35 hours periodic training.

I believe the first time pass rate of Module 2 is quite low - below 50% and of course Module 4 cannot be booked until Module 2 is passed

shep532:

djw:

My local driver training place charge more for Module 2 & 4 combined than I do for 35 hours periodic training.

I believe the first time pass rate of Module 2 is quite low - below 50% and of course Module 4 cannot be booked until Module 2 is passed

Mod 2 is £24 plus a few quid for training materials and mod 4 typically around £160 to £200 that’s typically less than £240.

Typically 35 hours of DCPC training will cost £250 to £350+, with the upload fee on top of that.

Could you tell us where you’ve got this first time pass rate of bellow 50% for mod 2 from ?

djw:

ScottishChris:

Abolishing grandfather rights would involve a change to EU law that would be mostly meaningless at this stage. Grandfather rights are no longer valid for driving professionally, though those who had grandfather rights can acquire a Driver Qualification Card for the first time by taking 35 hours of periodic training.

The UK was in a fairly unusual position compared to the rest of the EU, as up to the end of 1996 it used to grant what is now C1 entitlement to those who passed a car test. As this is a full entitlement, it gives the same grandfather rights under the LGV Driver CPC system as those who gained their C1 or C from passing an LGV test. Pre 1996 UK car tests do not give grandfather rights for PCV Driver CPC, as the D1 entitlement has a 101 restriction code (“not for hire or reward”), which means it cannot be used to drive professionally.

The decision to allow drivers with grandfather rights who have never held a Driver Qualification Card to take the Module 2 and 4 tests is a recent change. In effect, it allows them to ignore their grandfather rights and acquire their DQC in the same way as someone with no grandfather rights.

I just think its all daft coz Grandfather rights also includes being able to tow a trailer on B. its just soo daft and makes everything more complicated and while I have B+E on my licence but cost my company around £350 at time to get me it and somebody who may never driven a trailer could do it with no training which is more worrying!

Once I passed Mod 4 on CPC it was stupid and is a pointless test, coz if you fail that test major then I worried how you got dress this morning however I did fail it first time on one stupid point and was to do with a spray suppression equipment.

Would agree some of the grandfather rights stuff is a bit daft, although also quite handy such as being able to tow a trailer with a car / van. Admittedly, it’s also a bit “interesting” when you get a long wheelbase van + large box trailer and have to reverse it with no knowledge of how you actually do that.

Unfortunately it does seem to be causing a lot of complications too so maybe it’s time to keep them with car licences, but remove them completely with anything larger, then at least everything is on a more level and simpler to understand playing field. Might possibly even make the roads a little safer (special CPC for BMW drivers? :wink:).

tachograph:
Could you tell us where you’ve got this first time pass rate of bellow 50% for mod 2 from ?

I was a member of The Association of Trainers which is a DCPC consortium. We received a newsletter/email March this year containing information which claimed (if I remember rightly) a 43% first time pass rate for Mod 2. The chairman of the association was also quoted saying the same in Commercial Motor magazine around the same time. I believe he sits on some DVLA group/steering committee of some kind where they have regular little meetings about driving licences etc which gives him some sort of insider information.

I may have given bum information.