IS IT ME!!

Is it me or are we all about to see a massive change in the way road haulage operates in this country?

How soon before no U.K. operator can afford to put a truck on the road?
Most of or so called uk firms have some foreign investment in one form or another, they will know that they can get mainland europian operators, who work with subsidsed fuel, to come over here and move their products.

If uk operators try to pass on fuel increases to their customers the customer just says no we are not paying that and there is very little they can do. If they say right we wont do the job the next thing you see is a foreign truck collecting that load.

AT WHAT POINT DOES IT HAVE TO STOP ?

Just thought i would raise the question and see what your thoughts were

peteandbrenda:
How soon before no U.K. operator can afford to put a truck on the road?

Well as far as i know we have no less registered trucks than any time before and there is a waiting list for new trucks?
I’m not suggesting there isn’t any problems, but buying trucks or rather wanting to buy them doesn’t seem to be slowing down?

It stops when the entire UK haulage industry falls over and croaks. If this trend continues, in a few years the only people hauling anything will be steady eddie and the foreign types… which now includes me… :open_mouth:

I just wonder about one thing.

As for now foreign operators beats british company on the price becouse of fuel prices. They get enaugh fuel on the continent to go to Britain and back.

But if they will be allowed to carry cargo within britain they will have to buy fuel here at the same rules…

And other thing: many of polish operators have really huge tanks - they getting fuel in Ukraine for exaple and they can go half on Europe on that. Why do not british operators install so big tanks as well and buy cheap fuel in Belgium for example? Will that not help them to compete?

I spoke with ■■■■■■■ the services recently as the pump stopped at every 200 litres and I had to get two receipts. I asked her what if someone is taking 1600 litres, and she told me that 600 litres is the biggest what she even seen… So i guess big tanks aren’t popular here?

I just asking.

We run 1,500 litre tanks… we can run all week on that lot. Fill up on blue and diesel once a week or so, and the only times I stop at a garage in between is to use the loo or spend money in the shops… Doesn’t matter where we go, it’s the same. And you don’t need a change in the cabotage rules to have a unit in the UK all week and busy, even with full trailer loads.

I hears something a few years back with ref to buying fuel on the continent, you guessed it it involved eddie, basically came up with the idea of buying his own tankers and bringing it back acroos to be used in his Uk trucks, the answer was if the fuel was bought across from the continent then to be used in other vehicles the tax that this govt put on would still be payable at customs?

not gospel and I stand to be corrected but would it be feasable for a haulier to do this??

orys big tanks are popular here. have been for ages but only with firms that do europe mainley. in 1997 i drove a magnum to and from europe with tanks able to hold 1000ltrs i thought that were alot but i think the maximum you can carry without needing adr is around 1500 litres could be less someone will put me right :wink:

Carl:
orys big tanks are popular here. have been for ages but only with firms that do europe mainley. in 1997 i drove a magnum to and from europe with tanks able to hold 1000ltrs i thought that were alot but i think the maximum you can carry without needing adr is around 1500 litres could be less someone will put me right :wink:

Sounds about right, I don’t need ADR for the 1,500 litres on this motor. Bigger would be problematic apparantly.

Orys…we dont use big tanks because its not worth the effort, and most companies use fuel cards anyway. Most european operators use larger tanks because the fuel is cheaper on the continent. It is not viable to go across to france or belgium for fuel, because of the cost of the train/feerry would outweigh any savings. There used to be a fuel shuttle service, for tractor units only, but it soon stopped. We used to have trailer belly tanks that could hold up to 2000 litres, but they got outlawed in Italy, and then the rest of europe followed…No one likes trucks…so if we all stopped work…at the same time…i`m sure they would begin to love us once again…when they cant shop, get fuel…or go to work…

Orys,
my boss doesn’t do any overseas work.
How could he fill his trucks in Belgium.?
Not everyone is involved in continental work

I carry about 1200 litres and fill up in Belgium whenever possible. As has been said, it is no longer viable to send a tractor unit to Belgium for fuel.

My prediction is that the price of oil will fall sharply in a couple of months.

del949:
Orys,
my boss doesn’t do any overseas work.
How could he fill his trucks in Belgium.?
Not everyone is involved in continental work

Yeah, I know. But I was thinking that if it’s easier for foreigners to work here, it should be easier for you to do continental work. So you could go to Belgium once in the week and save a lot in fuel…

It was just a thought, I am just wondering, I don’t want to give you gold solution… Just asking.

dle1uk:
I hears something a few years back with ref to buying fuel on the continent, you guessed it it involved eddie, basically came up with the idea of buying his own tankers and bringing it back acroos to be used in his Uk trucks, the answer was if the fuel was bought across from the continent then to be used in other vehicles the tax that this govt put on would still be payable at customs?

not gospel and I stand to be corrected but would it be feasable for a haulier to do this??

i believe if it is in your own tanks then you dont pay customs/excise duty on it but if you transfer it to another unit it does become liable to duty on it.

its like if you bring ■■■■ back and then give them to someone else, at a price or as a gift, you need to pay duty on it. thats why you always bring ■■■■ back for your own consumption!