is it legal.

HELLO TO EVERYONE,
JUST ENQUIRING ON BEHALF OF A FELLOW TRUCK DRIVER. HE DOES A NIGHT TRUNK RUN FOR A LARGE CO. WHEN HE GETS TO THE MAIN HUB, HE FINDS THAT THEY ARE QUEUEING UP OUTSIDE THE PREMISES AND REPORTS TO THE TRAFFIC MANAGER THAT HE WOULDN’T HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO FOLLOW THE QUEUE ROUND SO HE COULD PUT HIS TRAILER ON THE BAY. THEY THEN SEND ANOTHER DRIVER OUT PUT HIS DIGI CARD IN AND HE CARRIERS ON THE JOURNEY. IS THIS LEGAL?

P.S. THIS IS A REGULAR OCCURANCE NOT JUST A ONE OFF.

Why not? So long as your ‘friend’ ejected his card, was having a break away from his vehicle and recorded such when he reinserted his card. Do a printout and record anything on the back of the printout if necessary. What would be wrong is if your ‘friend’ left his card in and the shunter put his card in the second driver slot.

Ifv hes straight out the lorry and into his car no problem but if continuing with doing OTHER WORK X then he will have to make a manual entry when re-entering his Digi-card the next day and also make sure he takes his proper daily rest from when this OTHER WORK X finishes and not from when he ejects the card. But hey ho how many people eject the card then do someone a favour or works away?

well i thought looking at the vosa book this would be classed as double manning. in which case you can not place anothers drivers card in after a one hour period. and also he siad he had infringments for this before becuse it didnt show up on is download.

This depends on whether the driver runs out of driving time or duty time?

If its driving time, then the driver can then drive an out of scope vehicle (car) back to the yard as long as he gets back within his duty time. He should then record this as other work as a manual entry when he starts the next day.

If he runs out of duty time, then he must take a daily rest where he stops, which would mean a B and B, unless the driver can reach his home address and the other driver picks the truck up from there.

Or the other guy could bring another unit out and swap trailers, leaving driver 1 to go to bed.

Hope that helps.

I assume this was done at the end of the shift in which case there’s nothing wrong with it as long as your colleague had enough duty time left to book off from his shift.

It’s nothing to do with multi-manning, simply someone else taking over the vehicle so your colleague could go home.

The next time he puts the card into a digital tachograph he should make a manual entry to cover the time from taking out the card to when he finished his shift.

yes, it’s illegal.
so if they do things illegally, then why dosn’t he just stick a magnet on for the duration?
now don’t get me wrong, i’m not saying he should, but if the firm are into doing the job bent, then why don’t they take the easy option? as long as he gets a drink out of it. :wink:

limeyphil:
yes, it’s illegal.
so if they do things illegally, then why dosn’t he just stick a magnet on for the duration?
now don’t get me wrong, i’m not saying he should, but if the firm are into doing the job bent, then why don’t they take the easy option? as long as he gets a drink out of it. :wink:

In what way is it illegal ?

limeyphil:
yes, it’s illegal.

Idiot.

Coffeeholic:

limeyphil:
yes, it’s illegal.

Idiot.

why?

1. we all know that you can’t run on another drivers card, so it’s illegal.
  2. if double manning, then driver 2 must have his card in within 30 minutes from the start of the 1st drivers shift.

limeyphil:

Coffeeholic:

limeyphil:
yes, it’s illegal.

Idiot.

why?

1. we all know that you can’t run on another drivers card, so it’s illegal.

From the OP no one is running on another drivers card. The guy is going to run out of time so another driver takes over using his own card.

limeyphil:
2) if double manning, then driver 2 must have his card in within 30 minutes from the start of the 1st drivers shift.

Again from the OP there is no double manning going on, one driver uses the vehicle then another driver uses the vehicle.

Just having two drivers drivers in the cab doesn’t necessarily mean you are working to multi-manning rules so the having the two drivers together for all but the first hour of the shift, it’s an hour not 30 minutes, doesn’t always apply. My shift each night has two drivers but we aren’t running to multi-manning rules because there is no need to as the shift is between 8 and 9 hours only.

some of my replys have not come back to you. i agree that this is ilegal and bad practise. but where could i find this in small print and not the basic print in the vosa book. and do you think this should be reported to vaso. seems to me having worked for some big companys thay try to and do get away whith murder. and small operaters are naild to the floor.

The way I read it the first driver is going to go over his time queuing and moving forward while waiting for a bay. He reports this and the company get a different driver to take over this task using his own card.

If this is at the end of the shift, the first driver is based at the main hub, then he can just go home so it’s not illegal.

If this is in the middle of the shift, the driver is based at a different depot and does a trip to the main hub and back each night, then it is still legal. He can go and have his break in the canteen or wherever and when he puts his card back in can make a manual entry to cover the time his card is out of the VU, again not illegal.

It appears from the information given it is far from the company ‘doing the job bent’, they are doing it so things remain legal.

footprint:
i agree that this is ilegal and bad practise.

From the information you have given it is not illegal and is in fact good practice as it prevents a driver going over his driving and/or duty time and incurring infringements and penalties.

footprint:
some of my replys have not come back to you. i agree that this is ilegal and bad practise. but where could i find this in small print and not the basic print in the vosa book. and do you think this should be reported to vaso. seems to me having worked for some big companys thay try to and do get away whith murder. and small operaters are naild to the floor.

I’ve no idea why you think it’s illegal because from the information in your opening post it certainly is not illegal.

Perhaps you could explain exactly what the driver is doing that you think is illegal ?

i got to go work. if any one could come back with documentation i would be gratefull. ps. its not the end of is shift so therefor for another driver to put is card in this is doulble manning. which should take place whithin the first hour. he is not being rescued and he should in my mind be able to take his break before he gets to the hub or find him a resting area. which iam told there is plenty of room.

footprint:
i got to go work. if any one could come back with documentation i would be gratefull.

Not really possible to find documentation to say something is illegal when it isn’t. Any documentation would just be ■■■■■■■■.

footprint:
ps. its not the end of is shift so therefor for another driver to put is card in this is doulble manning. which should take place whithin the first hour.

No it’s not double manning.

footprint:
he is not being rescued and he should in my mind be able to take his break before he gets to the hub

Why, when he can take his break while the other guy is doing the queuing and getting the vehicle onto the bay.

It’s legal so your mate will either have to live with it, find another job where he isn’t doing something he doesn’t want to do or take a break before he gets to the main hub.

I’m not really seeing what your mates issue is with this. If he was being told tough, stay with the truck and get it on the bay then he would have legitimate complaint but the company are recognising he has an issue with his driving time and accommodate that by utilising another driver so he can take a break and they can still unload the vehicle. Win, win.

footprint:
and also he siad he had infringments for this before becuse it didnt show up on is download.

If he is getting infringements it is probably because he is not doing a manual entry to cover the time his card was out of the VU while he took his break.

footprint:
i got to go work. if any one could come back with documentation i would be gratefull. ps. its not the end of is shift so therefor for another driver to put is card in this is doulble manning. which should take place whithin the first hour. he is not being rescued and he should in my mind be able to take his break before he gets to the hub or find him a resting area. which iam told there is plenty of room.

the putting 2nd drivers card in within an hour of the first enables you to run to the extended duty time, if the 2nd card goes in after an hour as in this case then you just work to your normal duty time.

stevie

ok, maybe i’ve misread this.
i saw it as:
driver 1 runs out of time.
another driver puts his card in.
driver 1 does the driving.

stevieboy308:

footprint:

the putting 2nd drivers card in within an hour of the first enables you to run to the extended duty time, if the 2nd card goes in after an hour as in this case then you just work to your normal duty time.

Exactly.

A few times on my run I have driven the northbound leg to Charnock Richard with my card in slot 1 and my co-driver’s in slot 2. At Charnock I remove my card, get into my son’s car, he has followed us up the road, and continue to Edinburgh. My mate puts his card in slot 1 and drives the vehicle back by himself. Couple of days later he drives it up by himself and I come down from Edinburgh with my son and at Charnock I get in the truck and drive it back down while my mate has his card in slot 2. Legal and not running to multi-manning rules because the entire shift is at most about 9 hours