Is it legal?

That is using a bit of cloth to keep the near side mirror clean when driving?

I used to tie a cloth to the mirror and it would flap about and keep the mirror clean.

Just wondered if anyone still does it, or is it now a no no?

At a push you could say it was obstructing the view of the mirror, but it would be a harsh, harsh man that did you for that. I would’nt see a big problem with it as in reality its actually assisting your view.

If it STUCK to the glass of the mirror and causes a visual obstruction then it would be deemed ‘unsafe’ BUT if it just ‘wipes’ across the mirror like a windscreen wiper then it is not unsafe - after all, that is what a wiper does on the windscreen :exclamation: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Wondering how I KNOW ? - I had this very discussion with a Motorway Traffic Cop (one with pips on his shoulder - a big wig :unamused: ) about 10 years ago :wink:

ROG:
If it STUCK to the glass of the mirror and causes a visual obstruction then it would be deemed ‘unsafe’ BUT if it just ‘wipes’ across the mirror like a windscreen wiper then it is not unsafe - after all, that is what a wiper does on the windscreen :exclamation: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Wondering how I KNOW ? - I had this very discussion with a Motorway Traffic Cop (one with pips on his shoulder - a big wig :roll: ) about 10 years ago :wink:

Did he tie it down to stop it blowing away? I’ll get my coat :unamused:

The Highway Man:

ROG:
If it STUCK to the glass a big wig :roll: ) :wink:

Did he tie it down to stop it blowing away? I’ll get my coat :unamused:

You can run but you cant hide HM :laughing:

We know your hiding places :wink:
Reference the bit of cloth material strip length tied to mirror arm to clean the glass :-

Ive heard if you dont leave it longer than the actual mirror glass width , then it wont tangle on your mirror arm or brackets rarely ---- and knot it at the loose end , this stops the material sticking to lens and from fraying ends .
Saves getting your arm wet every five minutes unless you have heated mirrors.

legal side ? ide have thought that anything hanging loose from a vehicle that could flick /hit/entangle/ cause a danger to self or others is a no no.

I have checked it out in the DSA’s own book on driving LGV’S

Quote “The simple device of tying a piece of cloth to the mirror bracket cleans them effectively as the air flow causes it to continually wipe the surface” un quote. Taken from the brand new edition of " The official DSA guide to driving goods vehicles"

So it is legal, because our lords and masters say so.

Rog a question. Is it acceptable on a DSA LGV driving test?

maybe someone could fit a heater to mirrors
that would be useful in rain
and not as distracting as your missuss’s knickers

hitch:
maybe someone could fit a heater to mirrors
that would be useful in rain

Any truck I’ve had in the last 10 years (mostly Volvo’s ) has had heated mirrors, very good in foggy, misty or wet conditions but tends to bake the dirt on.

Tiger

Anybody got a photo of how this is done? How wide does the cloth have to be & how long?
Never seen this on any truck I’ve been on.

Gordy:
Anybody got a photo of how this is done? How wide does the cloth have to be & how long?
Never seen this on any truck I’ve been on.

About 20 to 25 mm (inch) wide, you tie it to you mirror arm, if you have one (Volvo not) then it needs to be long enough to go round and reach all your mirror, but no more. It does work quite well if you have the right sort of cloth and of course only when moving.

This was a common thing 30 years ago when doing the Middle East,long before heated mirrors were thought about.In fact probably better than heated mirrors as in most countries outside Europe the roads were so bad that mud on the mirrors was more the case than rain.At least the piece of rag removed the mud while it was wet,whereas a heated mirror would only dry it out,so causing a loss of vision altogether.

there was a special strip of cloth or some thing in truckstops abroad some year ago that you screwed to the edge of the mirror instead of tying it to the arm i dont know if you con still get them

chippy:
Rog a question. Is it acceptable on a DSA LGV driving test?

YES - it has a double effect - keeping the mirror clean and the movement draws the trainees attention to the mirror :smiley:

We all did it before the luxuary of heated mirrors . Was and probably still is he best way to keep them clean. just rip a strip of rag and tie it on.