is it just me ??

Is it just me or does anybody else think that SOME hgv drivers are becoming more ignorant? I luckily or unluckily returned back driving 3 yrs ago after a 16 yr break and found that to my surprise a lot more hgv drivers are all to keen on looking after number 1, such as not flashing you in on a motorway, not helping you reversing into a nasty tight corner somewhere etc, etc. I was on the A 303 the other day doing about 41 - 42 on straight single 40 limit and when i hit a duel section i had about 5 hgv,s go past all giving me the evil eye, now am i an old ■■■■ or does anybody else think that SOME drivers are basically ignorant ?

you’re probably right but the same could be said of society in general

everyone has to be somewhere yesterday except on a friday afternoon when people don’t seem to be in a rush to go anywhere :unamused:

bald bloke:
Is it just me or does anybody else think that SOME hgv drivers are becoming more ignorant? I luckily or unluckily returned back driving 3 yrs ago after a 16 yr break and found that to my surprise a lot more hgv drivers are all to keen on looking after number 1, such as not flashing you in on a motorway, not helping you reversing into a nasty tight corner somewhere etc, etc. I was on the A 303 the other day doing about 41 - 42 on straight single 40 limit and when i hit a duel section i had about 5 hgv,s go past all giving me the evil eye, now am i an old ■■■■ or does anybody else think that SOME drivers are basically ignorant ?

I have started to drive at 40/42 on all single carriageway roads now, and got three lots of two fingered salutes from (dangerously) overtaking fellow hgv drivers today on the A17.

I absoloutley hate driving so slowly on straight, dry, good quality clear roads, BUT if I were to be involved in an accident, VOSA would know that from Newark to Kings Lynn I can only go over 40 in a couple of places, so I would be bang to rights in a court!

I also get paid by the hour so why not obey the limit?

PS I still think it is dangerous to hold up traffic to 40mph and let them risk overtaking in bad spots out of frustration!

no your right,the funs gone out of the job,folks would rather stab you in back than have a laugh these days,i just keep my self to myself,only spek to other drivers if i really have to,there always fishing,not really talking ,having a laugh,a few i trust,chat to,most i wouldnt ■■■■ on if they were on fire to be honest

mickfly:

bald bloke:

I have started to drive at 40/42 on all single carriageway roads now, and got three lots of two fingered salutes from (dangerously) overtaking fellow hgv drivers today on the A17.

I absoloutley hate driving so slowly on straight, dry, good quality clear roads, BUT if I were to be involved in an accident, VOSA would know that from Newark to Kings Lynn I can only go over 40 in a couple of places, so I would be bang to rights in a court!

Well at least your admitting that its a pain for everyone if you get behind a truck thats sitting at 40 but what a lot of people dont like is when you get to a short bit of dual carriegway you shove it up to 50 instead of letting other people go by. Not everybody as the luxury of playing at trucking i a supermarket trolley. :laughing:

PS I still think it is dangerous to hold up traffic to 40mph and let them risk overtaking in bad spots out of frustration!

I agree-as a kid all the local tipper/skip firms would put their hand up to each other when passing; It happened until a few years ago. Now with the recession, the “I’ve done Tescos/Stobarts/anywhere with a new truck every 3 years” has had to resort to working in the gutter part (tipper/skip sector) and they’ve got a chip on their shoulder. "I’m not walking through that sht" is getting heard more often now…if don’t like driving a dirty truck in a dirty quarry, p** off and shelf stack-or work for VDB or whatever! :smiley:

I know what you mean mate and your totally right in what your doing you have no choice I know. Its a pity vosa cant use some common sense isnt it and let you do 50 your not hurting anybody at that speed and everyones happy. :sunglasses:

No nothings changed its always been dog eat dog and im a real trucker etc. Agency work can be nippy treated like scum or simpleton by on the books drivers… Saying that i always feel able to aproach any trucker and have a friendly chat or ask for help…

mickfly:

bald bloke:

I know what you mean, i was up round that area the other week in a merc sprinter and i had to slow down for a few sections! They go up and down like a prozzy on a bollard! And the funnier thing was that you actually get other lorries and cars over taking you! :open_mouth: EVEN THE CHUFFIN` TRACTORS ARE DOIN IT!!!

I`ve learnt from doing this job, there are places when you know to go fast and there are places where you wouldnt even think 2wice about slowing right down…swings and roundabouts!

bald bloke:
‘…Is it just me or does anybody else think that SOME hgv drivers are becoming more ignorant…?’

It’s a symptom of ‘diverse society’ as the Lib/Lab/Con love for the EU thoroughly mixes us up and liberalises (ie, trashes) our previously respectable societal culture, mate.

If I recall correctly, ‘…accept it and be quiet - or be a bigot…’ was what we were told by the very devious Labour herberts.

Don’t expect much courtesy & you wont be too disappointed - but perhaps you and I can continue to fly the flag for decency despite many out there promoting the common practices of their self-serving destruction through misery.

mickfly:

bald bloke:

It makes no difference what speed you drive at the numpty behind always wants to pass you.

I was driving on the A17 recently, -3 on the thermometer, black ice, frozen puddles on the edge of the road, I am doing 40 and an artic overtakes.

Im only 25 but remember the job from goin wiv my old man many years ago… and i do think ppl hav changed, not many folk seem 2 want to help anymore but on the other hand when ppl do u appreciate it more. i always help or make an effort when i think i can but even then some ppl r so ungreatful.

Another reason for this behaviour is perhaps because some of the other drivers, not being natives, are not aware of our customs and the language barrier is another problem.

waddy640:
‘… some of the other drivers, not being natives, are not aware of our customs and the language barrier is another problem…’

In fear of being confined to the yard, don’t today’s ‘BBC/EU’ politics frown on this being rationally discussed?

Maybe brace for the inevitable barrage of outside leftie ‘contributors’ to ridicule the thread in their endeavour to distort such ■■■■ racial hatred [sic] to suit their dull agenda.

Finally, beware upsetting the censor, fearful of exposing the site being chock-a-block with xenophobic, right-wing - and therefore obviously, bigotted crackpots. :neutral_face:

Yes mate, If you read the M6 thread from Saturday morning, you could say I’m pretty peeved with some drivers! I’m even hesitating to let other drivers out at junctions now as there as so many dim wits who seem to think that they just put their motor on the limiter when they get on the motorway and must think why is that other lorry in the middle lane doing the same speed as me??
I used to think we’d always help each other but it seems those days are going and its everyman for himself! Mind you there are a lot of good guys still on the road so hopefully it’s just the odd few (PLEASE!).
I’m just hoping that they’re not giving out Class 1 licenses out with the Christmas crackers again this year. :open_mouth:

bald bloke:

Yesterday I was driving along the A14 towards Huntingdon, on the opposite carriageway there was a broken down Land Rover in the offside lane near Fenstanton. The stationary traffic was tailling back to Spittals, but no one thought to push it to the side of the road. In the past this would have been done and everyone would have got on with their journey’s.

Common sense is no longer permissible.

before i left the uk i was delivering to a manchester rdc ,got on the bay ok (they really needed my load) got the skids of and was walking out to truck and at the door were 2 drivers laughing and catcalling at a driver trying to get on the bay next to mine.
i went over and he said he was an agency driver first time on a auto box, so i told him straighen up calm down take it easy he got it next shot,
the 2 drivers walked past and told me i spoiled their fun ,red rag to a bull th,at was i gave them a mouthfull few names etc and went back to my cab .at the gate the old boy told me the 2 wheel attendents drove for the same company as the agency boy…wtf is happening im glad to be away.
i admited i needed help to drivers on a ferry going to europe (80s) i had never been abroad before without exception they all showed me/told me what was needed .thats real drivers for you…
james.

IMO the rot started in the 80’s with the closure of the mines and the decimation of the manufacturing sector. The Govt of the day realised that there was an entire generation of prospective benefit claimants on the loose, so (if anyone was driving at the time they’ll remember this) the job centres handed out class 1 courses left right and centre and what we ended up with was (through no fault of their own) a glut of “trained” HGV drivers who had no interest in the job per se, had no idea of the “code” as such, and even less interest in the job other than as a means to pay the bills, and as such only aspired to getting the job done as quickly as possible and sod everyone else.

The rot continued and maybe even gathered its’ own momentum with the introduction of the dreaded “L” word (logistics) and the advent of JIT deliveries.

waddy640:

bald bloke:

Yesterday I was driving along the A14 towards Huntingdon, on the opposite carriageway there was a broken down Land Rover in the offside lane near Fenstanton. The stationary traffic was tailling back to Spittals, but no one thought to push it to the side of the road. In the past this would have been done and everyone would have got on with their journey’s.

Common sense is no longer permissible.

Anybody noticed the amount of people who break down either just before, or just after a layby? I’m sure most people see the STOP light come on and do just that, without using their common sense (and wing mirrors)