Is it just me

is it just me or do other people actually enjoy having a really busy day, (i.e. a high number of drops), or having a few awkward or far out delieries to do, as well as your normal load of deliveries?

this is a thread more for the multi droppers, and I for one love multi drop, visiting different towns all the time etc etc. much more interesting than 2 or 3 drops separated by long bits of motorway I think.

I would much rather have 25 drops round Plymouth than say 10 drops in the same area. Why? well I dont know because I would of thought it would be every drivers dream to have a lovely easy run. But I am not on a task and finish basis, so if I finish early I get to wash all the fleets lorries, finish late then i get paid overtime. I much prefer the overtime than to washing lorries and never seeming to get to drive them when Ive actually cleaned them!

Most of my drops are regular so I know when im going, but I always like a few oddball drops thrown in as well, for good measure. Especially if they are far out, or down country lanes so that I dont get back to the yard too early. Had one today which as soon as I saw where it was on the map, knew that if the TM knewabout it , he would have told me to bring it back. It was on the outskirts of a town, down into a country lane, but when i got there the road was closed so i asked the binmen how I could get to it,
which led me down some seriously tight lanes, now I only drive a 14 tonne atego rigid, but i was determined to get to this drop, I had to stop to bend both mirrors in quite a few times, the lorry was rubbing up against the hedges on some bends, and at one point I did think I should not be going up here in a lorry, but I love a good challenge and did eventually get to the drop, well within 200 metres of it anyway, the last side lane had too many low trees to get up, so walked up and got a lift back down to the lorry to collect the goods.
Anyway couldnt turn round so carried on through the tight lanes, one corner nearly had me because there was mud on the road, sat there doing burnouts for a couple minutes - no diff lock on the lorry! Eventually got back to the yard, told TM who said shouldnt have gone there, but at least i did the delivery wihout any damage to the vehicle! Still had to wash a lorry as well.

Maybe I just like my job and the challenges of driving too much, or maybe Im just young and stupid! used to do dustcart work so I enjoy tight spaces, I think? sorry its a bit long and theres no pictures but was too busy making sure i didnt rip the side of the lorry off for that!

there’s nothing wrong with enjoying your job.
Personally i prefer driving to constantly having to open and close the curtains drive 1/2 mile and do it all again. Give me 4 hour drive and full load any day.
A slight word of caution though we’re only drivers and not qualified to think, if work on your own initative and damage your truck where you shouldn’t have put it he won’t say oh well at least you tried.

I agree with Mr B, stuff the multidropping, give me the whole load at the one place any day, and i have done both by the way.
At the moment i am doing mainly store deliveries, whole load to the one place.

i like the varied job, a few hours on multidrop, stopping every few minutes to unload then back in and off we go again then getting back to the yard and being asked to take a full load somewhere.

it does break your day up and make it seem a more varied day, sometimes i get bored doing multidrop with stroppy customers and forkies but then i do get bored just sat at 56 eating up the tarmac listening to the drone of the engine.

i do like the challenge of getting in somewhere a bit tight or difficult though, it gives you a sense of achievement, especially when a passer by says “well done drives, i didnt think you would get that in there!” i normally reply neither did i with a laugh at the end

its what suits the individual and they do say variety is the spice of life!

I enjoy it especially passing everyone (irish motor) :laughing: :laughing:

i prefer multi dropping used to leave donny with 14 drops for southhampton portsmouth poole salisbury and i prefer that to one drop in birmingham and back.