Is It Illegal?

Is it Illegal for a Company to train a Driver to use a Hiab Crane on his wagon, without a licence/certificate? my mate has joined a company and he is doing solo runs in a 7.5T but has yet to do any Hiab training other than being shown by other drivers

wilko77fc:
Is it Illegal for a Company to train a Driver to use a Hiab Crane on his wagon, without a licence/certificate? my mate has joined a company and he is doing solo runs in a 7.5T but has yet to do any Hiab training other than being shown by other drivers

I think its like fork lift training and anything else except things like ADR. its a company thing with no legal requirement to hold a licence.
As long as the company have given basic instruction I think you’ll find that’s all that’s required.

I’m not sure you’re right Nick I think you need to have a HIAB qualification and I think have to do a refresher every year.

Dont think its legal either, to use a piece of equipment properly you have to have passed the required tests to show you are competent (thats most car drivers out then lol).
Its only the same as your truck licence you cant go on the road after a few laps of the ysrd with your mate showing you.
Wouldn’t fancy being your mate if he hit something with the hiab and the company insurance found out he wasnt properly trained or had a hiab ticket.

bald bloke:
I’m not sure you’re right Nick I think you need to have a HIAB qualification and I think have to do a refresher every year.

so what cert do you need Legally to use the following .

A moffitt or other fork lift including powered trucks ie electric pallet truck.
B Skip loader
C hook loader
d tail lift operation

all the above come under
LOLER

Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998 (LOLER)

hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg290.pdf

lifting operations are planned, supervised and carried out in a safe manner
â– â– by people who are competent;

, HSE quote

I cant find any Definitive answer to the legal standing and legal requirement to have a Licence to operate a (hiab) < this is being a generic term used for lorry loader as there are differing loading systems of a similar nature.

hseni.gov.uk/l113_safe_use_o … ipment.pdf

There are different types of courses available using different names and its been noted that some (work) sites only accept certain licences

I hired a cherry picker trailer recently, and the hire place said you have to be “competent” but there is no legal definition of “competent”, did I want some training? I said “yes please” and he said no bother, and spent 15 minutes showing me, then watching me, and then said “you are competent in my book, on you go”

Demonstrating in court that you are competent after the event may be more of an issue though. I wonder if HIAB is just a way of ticking the H&S risk assessment / insurance stuff?

Tim

To my knowledge u do need to be hiab certified for use. I work on an agency and 3 separate company’s have told me not too touch the hiab unless qualified including my agency.

Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 section 2(2)C places a duty on employers to provide adequate training for staff in the use of machines and equipment they are expected to operate in the normal course of their duties. As a result of the high number of accidents and fatalities caused by the inexperienced operator the Health & Safety Executive introduced an Approved Code of Practice in 1989 (ACOP26) which recommends that all lift truck operators are adequately trained and that training should be carried out by instructors who have undergone training in instructional techniques and skills assessment.

This includes hiab truck mounted cranes

Recommends does not say LEGALLY