Is it illegal for me to not be permitted to check my load?

Hey

So I just started a new job and obviously with it being the drivers responsibility to check the load it’s brought me to this question. We pull for Tesco and no it’s not Stobart (:D) and one of the Sub-contractors drivers who was offered the job said that sometimes the double deckers are loaded absolutely appallingly, ie very heavy on top and light as on the bottom.

Surely it must be illegal for them to not let us check how the trailer is loaded and if it’s contents are secure? (Trailers are sealed)

Sam

Good point !
Get security to accompany you whilst you pop the seals to check it, then re’seal it.
The only problem is- if you’ve got multiple deliveries, you will need to pop the seals to take the straps off at every store them re seal it each time.
(How long will it take to get ■■■■■■ off with that every time ? or how long before the subbie gets rid of you for taking too long on the job, when Jonny Foreigner will do it in half the time for half the wages !)

Is it illegal for me to not be permitted to check my load? = no

Is it illegal to have a unsafe load on the road = yes

Talking o a driver down at Palletline hub Birmingham the other week when I was working for Potters and a double decker for their firm went over doing only 12 mph for that same reason, nothing on the bottom deck and heavy load on top. Be very careful mate I am a newbie as well but would not be comfortable in that situation. :frowning: :unamused:

It’s one of a number of things that’s niggling me about this new place… how can I ever know until I drive it if it’s a dangerous load, to be fair I don’t even want to move it until I know if it’s loaded and secured properly or not…how can I know if it’s secure if it’s sealed? A few drivers say it’s not uncommon for Tesco to load top heavy on the deckers and this just doesn’t sit right with me at all.

Apparently one of our deckers went over too the other week for the same thing, top heavy.

I did one job for poundworld and hated it for that reason, sealed doors etc. and them saying you can’t check the load. Never been back as VOSA will not listen to those excuses if you go over and kill a woman and her kids in their corsa under your decker! The law is only YOU have to answer for it at the scene. Headline “The police arrested a 23 year old driver at the scene, it is suspected that the load he was driving was unsecured”. If it did happen I can promise you the blue chip company will spout off all their practised rhetoric “We train our drivers to the highest standards. We can’t discuss individual cases obviously pending the investigation but lessons will be learned as something went drastically wrong in this case”. Then you can sign on :unamused:

Get it in writing with a signature then spin the decker in the yard before you go out … you’ll soon find out if its safe or not

the problem i have found with the tesco lorrys is that the cages will all be strapped fine but as you say will it be heavy one side top heavy etc you dont know but on the plus side you know you wont lose the cage as it will have been strapped.

so how does that sit with vosa as the load is strapped so not insecure but only loaded wrong?

I have had this argument many times Sam, all our trailers had to be sealed up and we used a handover sheet between drivers, I used to almost always break the seal myself and have a look around for both immigrants and a secure load, certain loads we carried were quite safe without a strap as we were using Euroliners. Some drivers used to drop their trailers on the port and take the straps off.

The company seal is not a legal requirement, but a secure load is. Just be careful they don’t accuse you of any pilferage or natural wastage. Get the security or supervisor to reseal it in your presence.

ril4881:
the problem i have found with the tesco lorrys is that the cages will all be strapped fine but as you say will it be heavy one side top heavy etc you dont know but on the plus side you know you wont lose the cage as it will have been strapped.

so how does that sit with vosa as the load is strapped so not insecure but only loaded wrong?

Well Vosa will say that the vehicle is not loaded correctly. Secure is only part of the drivers responsibility. You are also supposed to ensure the load is evenly distributed and loaded correctly. Vosa will not say “Oh it is OK drive you put the straps on so good effort but it was the fact that you were 2 tonne over gross weight that caused this accident!” :smiley: :smiley:

As wheel nut says it is your legal duty