Is it hard to get contract work?

im going to get my class 1 soon and thought about working for myself get a cheap truck and so on i know the ins and outs of it all but is there much contract work out there and whats the pay like is it worth the hassle?

SmItHy1982:
but is there much contract work out there

I assume you mean work that is available to you as a dedicated subcontractor, in which case there is plenty of it if you know where to look.

SmItHy1982:
whats the pay like

The rates vary from excellent to pathetic, generally the good paying stuff is harder to find.

SmItHy1982:
i know the ins and outs of it all

Nope, sorry, you don’t. These are basic questions you are asking, so please don’t take offence but you have a hell of a lot to learn yet, especially as you don’t even have your class 1 yet and judging by your other posts have done very little haulage work.

SmItHy1982:
is it worth the hassle?

Depends what you want out of it. If you are looking to get very rich, very quickly then look elsewhere. If you are looking to start up in order to provide yourself with a slightly more stable job along with some limited flexibility in when you take you holidays etc but are willing to accept that you will not be much better off than working for someone else, then probably. If you are willing to work 7 days a week, 52 weeks of the year in the quest for a higher level of income with very little free time to spend it then it can certainly be made to work. You have to look at your reasons for wanting to get involved in haulage as an operator as opposed to just a driver, as the driving is the easy bit!

if this thread doesn’t get RobK out of hiding, nothing will :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

shuttlespanker:
if this thread doesn’t get RobK out of hiding, nothing will :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I thought he was locked in the naughty room? :wink:

ok cheers id just like to work for myself in next few years and since im new to this just thought id ask

You could spend “the next few years” READING posts on here about “newbies” wanting to become O/D’s :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing:

Big Truck:
You could spend “the next few years” READING posts on here about “newbies” wanting to become O/D’s :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing:

Indeed, and a little bit of research reveals that a fair few of them were started by you! :wink:

Gogan:

Big Truck:

Indeed, and a little bit of research reveals that a fair few of them were started by you! :wink:

Is he a frustrated OD then? People that ask ‘is it worth it’ need to ask their bank manager not their possible competition :open_mouth:

puntabrava:
Is he a frustrated OD then? People that ask ‘is it worth it’ need to ask their bank manager not their possible competition

He’s an ex-O/D who appears to have had the common sense to get out of the kitchen when the heat got too much for him.

Gogan:

puntabrava:
Is he a frustrated OD then? People that ask ‘is it worth it’ need to ask their bank manager not their possible competition

He’s an ex-O/D who appears to have had the common sense to get out of the kitchen when the heat got too much for him.

My posts were from EIGHT years ago and the “heat didn’t get too much”, sold up my one truck operation and it left £22k in the business account.
Quit in Feb 2008, was in construction/quarries/roads, now what crash happened in the next month or so :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses:

Big Truck:
My posts were from EIGHT years ago and the “heat didn’t get too much”, sold up my one truck operation and it left £22k in the business account.

We could argue semantics all day, but the fact remains that you couldn’t make it work to your satisfaction any longer (and the evidence is in your posts) and so decided to pack it in. Essentially you gave up.

Big Truck:
Quit in Feb 2008, was in construction/quarries/roads, now what crash happened in the next month or so :question:

How many other O/D’s have weathered the storm and are still making it work now? :unamused:

I appreciate that you probably want to stop this chap from losing his shirt, but that’s his mistake to make. Also, don’t assume that just because you couldn’t make it work that everyone else is in the same boat.

I’d say having 22k in the account before deciding to knock it on the head as the omens weren’t good is making it work…

Q1: Do you know what an O licence is and the process/requirements for it?

Silver_Surfer:
I’d say having 22k in the account before deciding to knock it on the head as the omens weren’t good is making it work…

Omens? Sorry, but business decisions should be based on a bit more than superstition, portent or presange. Making it work would have involved a realistic analysis of future work-loads (including exploring new revenue streams) and how the business could have continued to trade at break-even or above until revenues levels increased. It is clear from his own posts at the time that he did not do this, and simply decided his current work-streams looked unlikely to sustain the operation at current profit levels, and so gave up.

Putting a business into liquidation is NOT making it work! :unamused:

Incidentally I don’t wish to criticise his decision, it may well have been the best decision for him at the time and that is his choice. However, the fact that he couldn’t see a way to make his business continue profitably does not qualify him to make sweeping declarations as to the ability or likelyhood of others building a profitable business in the road haulage industry, something that is evident in his posting history since he liquidated his own business. :wink:

stagedriver:
Q1: Do you know what an O licence is and the process/requirements for it?

yes i know what u have to do show enough finance,and have adequate space for vehicles etc but what if u only had the one truck surely you must be able to park it out side your house and run the buisness from there if thats all you have i think the finance part of it is a joke really if u can afford to run the truck and keep it legal and repairs etc that should be sufficient really to have an operators licence

SmItHy1982:
yes i know what u have to do show enough finance,and have adequate space for vehicles etc but what if u only had the one truck surely you must be able to park it out side your house and run the buisness from there if thats all you have i think the finance part of it is a joke really if u can afford to run the truck and keep it legal and repairs etc that should be sufficient really to have an operators licence

You’re not doing yourself any favours here with the crap you are posting.

SmItHy1982:
,and have adequate space for vehicles etc but what if u only had the one truck surely you must be able to park it out side your house

No, you cannot just park it outside your house! You have to have an authorised operating centre, which provides sufficient off-street secure parking for your vehicle(s).

SmItHy1982:
i think the finance part of it is a joke really if u can afford to run the truck and keep it legal and repairs etc that should be sufficient really to have an operators licence

That is sufficient, and is exactly what the financial standing requirements of the operators licence are designed to demonstrate. As explained to you in the other thread. :unamused:

Gogan:

SmItHy1982:

You’re not doing yourself any favours here with the crap you are posting.

SmItHy1982:
,and have adequate space for vehicles etc but what if u only had the one truck surely you must be able to park it out side your house

No, you cannot just park it outside your house! You have to have an authorised operating centre, which provides sufficient off-street secure parking for your vehicle(s). sorry about that gogan didnt want to upset you :laughing:

SmItHy1982:
i think the finance part of it is a joke really if u can afford to run the truck and keep it legal and repairs etc that should be sufficient really to have an operators licence

That is sufficient, and is exactly what the financial standing requirements of the operators licence are designed to demonstrate. As explained to you in the other thread. :unamused:

I thought you knew the ins and outs!!!
With your very limited knowledge, if I were you I’d just get a job, then when you’ve got a bit of experience look at becoming your own boss, it’s not a business for people without a clue.

Equitran:
I thought you knew the ins and outs!!!
With your very limited knowledge, if I were you I’d just get a job, then when you’ve got a bit of experience look at becoming your own boss, it’s not a business for people without a clue.

i know thats why im asking on here to gain information about things that i dont know about its called learning.

Sorry but I guarantee that you won’t learn how to run your business on here, we give tips and share info, not wet nurse.