Is it easier driving

Is it easier driving artic than rigid is it easier work or not

That’s a tough question! And impossible to answer properly. But, compared with Class 2 multidrop work, I consider Class 1 to be a doddle. But I’m well past wanting to jump in and out of the back of a truck umpteen times a day! Some Class 2 work is not multidrop and, in that case, it may be a tad easier to drive than Class 1. Certainly reversing is easier on Class 2 until you get used to reversing artics.

I could waffle for ever - - there really isn’t a definitive answer without a lot more information on the work being compared.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hiya
Is an artic easier? Depends on what job your on really but as work use both would be in an artic every day,find them easier to drive tbh, , watching me reverse a rigid after months of artic work is always good for a giggle lol.
Can see more in an artic driving and reversing as for are artic jobs easier not many class 1 jobs are handball (stand to be corrected) but work is multi drop sometimes 5 or 6 drops in town centres which is always Interesting.

Would drive class 1 everyday.

Jeff

Ten years on class 1 and twice driven class 2. I could not reverse class 2 for toffee.

I take my dress off to those guys. I think that theirs is more difficult.

Having done the job, class one is definitely easier, unless they give you multidrop with an artic, i know a few that have! Doesn’t matter about driving the trucks, you will adapt to any type of vehicle. its the paperwork, number of drops, how many times your out of the cab, extra equipment you use, if subjected to weather, types of roads and conditions that have effect. Generally artics are easier but if you don’t like it find a different company to work for, i never liked an easy/boring driving role, give me an old Volvo with a manual box to drive, pulling a lowloader and i’ll be happy even when getting wet loading it with plant.

I have only just passed my class 2 so I don’t know myself if a class 1 is easier but all the trainers I spoken too while doing my test and cpc said in many ways a class 1 is easier to drive,my instructor actually asked me after I passed my test if I was going straight onto doing my class 1 because he thought I would pass it with ease but I am opting for experience in the class two first because with the extra weight and length involved I think its a wise move to get used to just being out there and driving…

Its as easy as you make it. There are some places where I think “how the zb hell am I supposed to get this in there” etc but I find that rigids are easier to drive. They handle as you expect them too. The jobs artics do are easier though. Lots of motorway runs with 1 or two drops in a day at most.

I find that class 1 driving is more difficult, especially reversing, but the jobs are often easier - long motorway drives and few drops, and they pay more. Class 2 jobs are often multi-drop and they expect you to get into ridiculously tight spaces.

Radar19:
Its as easy as you make it. There are some places where I think “how the zb hell am I supposed to get this in there” etc but I find that rigids are easier to drive. They handle as you expect them too. The jobs artics do are easier though. Lots of motorway runs with 1 or two drops in a day at most.

Any jobs going on your place doing 1 or 2 drops a day at most?
12-16 is the norm on my place in an artic!

Thanx lads well I be been class 2 since Jan 2008 I’m 56 this year and need easier life my truck is long 9 metre curtainside 26 tonner. We freight forward all time sub contract so most is long distance general haulage but also multi drop London City centre sometime which is bloody hard down narrow streets cars double parked I would refuse to go down streets with artic. Probable cause of damage. I think I will look to do doing my class one I very towed trailers and caravans all my life so should be okay on reversing thanx gothika

Tockwith Training:
Having done the job, class one is definitely easier, unless they give you multidrop with an artic, .

I did that working for Sissons of Sherburn in Elmet on the Stelrad contract delivering radiators to Plumb Centres around the UK. Now that was a experience. Lol!!

Paul :smiley:

ckm1981:

Radar19:

Any jobs going on your place doing 1 or 2 drops a day at most?
12-16 is the norm on my place in an artic!

not that I know of just internal moving from class 2 to class 1